Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Privacy Tint

Can anybody tell me if the US version of the X1 will have privacy glass on the rear windows? I know it was shown with dark tint at the New York Auto Show, but all the pictures I've seen of production models have uniform tint on all glass. Even the gallery on BMW's website pictures the Euro spec vehicles without privacy glass. I had assumed blackout tint from the B-pillar back was standard, but it occurs to me that I've seen no proof of that.
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2012, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
Thought about the privacy tint also since no websites show it. Tinted windows are not legal in PA with the exception of B-pillar rearward on vehicles that have a flat loading floor. I woudl think the X1 falls into that category. Don't want to do the after-market tinting on such an expensive auto. I should know for sure in a few weeks when mine arrives.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:56 PM

Salesman checked and confirmed BMW is not offering privacy glass on the X1. That's disappointing.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
Salesman checked and confirmed BMW is not offering privacy glass on the X1. That's disappointing.
Sounds like a really strange product choice. Wonder what BMW USA was thinking. Perhaps another way to distinguish the X3 from the X1?
I must be in that strange group of people who wants a small, premium SUV. Just because it's small doesn't mean it should be inferior to the larger SUVs. Small is good, particularly when you live in a city.

-James
San Francisco, CA
Old 07-26-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
Sounds like a really strange product choice. Wonder what BMW USA was thinking. Perhaps another way to distinguish the X3 from the X1?
I must be in that strange group of people who wants a small, premium SUV. Just because it's small doesn't mean it should be inferior to the larger SUVs. Small is good, particularly when you live in a city.

-James
San Francisco, CA
I believe both the X5 and X3 were originally offered here in the US without privacy tint. I'm sure it was easier since they don't tint the windows for the European market. But BMW realized we Americans expected the tint and they adjusted accordingly. That's why I find this decision rather odd. Maybe I could understand the lack of tint for the base model, but all models?