Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 07-27-2012, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: E34s adn E39s
Help w/ Oil Temperature / Oil Level Sensor for E39/E38

I'm wondering if there is any good answer to whether the Oil Level Sensor is indeed the Oil Temperature sensor.

I have a E39 540 and E38 740, which both uses M62TU I believe and both use the same sensor.

I recently got into the computer to read my coolant temperature and oil temperature, to find out what they are reading....

Coolant #7, ~110C
Oil #16, "--" on the E38, and "-48 C" on the E39.

What gives....

Then I thought maybe if I disconnect the oil level sensor by the oil pan, it should give me some oil level error messages - NO. I tried both cars, I can just unplug, and start the car, and nothing.... so I'm wondering if this means both of the sensors are BAD or ??

Any help - appreciated!!

BTW, my E39 M5 runs much cooler, ~85~90C for both the coolant and oil when driving easily... wonder why the delta between the M62 and S62s.
Ads by Google
Old 07-27-2012, 07:52 AM
**Bimmer DIYer**

Mein Auto: 00 740iL, 97 M3
Short answer is: there is no oil temp sensor. HTH.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwy8888 View Post
Then I thought maybe if I disconnect the oil level sensor by the oil pan, it should give me some oil level error messages - NO. I tried both cars, I can just unplug, and start the car, and nothing.... so I'm wondering if this means both of the sensors are BAD or ??
If you disconnect the oil level sensor it will not give you an error no matter if is good or bad.I tried that on severall cars. I think(not 100%) there is a temp sensor on this engine and I would say is incorporated in the oil level sensor.

If you are reading the computer with INPA, take a screenshot and post it here or in this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...054&highlight=

Edit:

"The operating principle is that a heating element in the sensor is heating above the oil temperature, then the time taken for the sensor to cool back indicates the level of oil.
The oil level function is monitored by an active oil level sensor that sends signal via line to the instrument cluster. The signal is routed via DME control module, however it is onlyu looped through. The oil level sensor supplies a signal with varying puls widith and freqvency. The measuring principle of the thermal oil level sensor is based on the change in heating and cooling time of the sensor element located in the engine oil. The High time (pulse ON) and the Low time (pulse Off) corespond to the heating and cooling periods (sensor is cooled by the oil) of the sensor heating element. The currents and times in the sensor element are also influenced by the current oil temperature and drivings dynamics.....Fault codes are entered in the instrument cluster if the sensor fails or is faulty".

I guess this means that the DME is reading the oil temperature from the same sensor.

There is also a TSB out there which says that the oil level sensor could give false warnings if is faulty.

Last edited by joyism5; 07-27-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimokk View Post
Short answer is: there is no oil temp sensor. HTH.
Kimokk, so you are saying, if you go into your hidden menu in your dash, and you go to option 16 for oil temperature, you don't get any reading either?

I get a reading on my E39M5, but get "--" for the E38 and "-48" for the E39 540... that's why I wonder.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:03 AM

joyism5 - thanks - but....

I read that post somewhere as well, which is why I believe there is a sensor built into the level sensor. I think mine is BAD... but my question is - if it's bad, how come I don't get ANY error message, no warning, nothing on peake code reader.

And what gives, both my 2000 540 and 2001 740 have the same issue?

Ebay sells these fairly cheaply, under $30 bucks, but bmw parts stores wants 100 bucks ish for it. Now I wonder if people have purchased these from ebay and worked for them before.

I want to have a good working oil level sensor for obvious reasons!!! :-)
Old 07-28-2012, 09:05 AM

Anyone purchased Oil Level Sensor from Ebay? How are they?

Planning ahead, assuming both of my oil level sensors are BAD.... hence I can't read oil temperature in the hidden menus.

Would appreciate it if anyone can confirm on their E38 or E39 540 that their hidden menu #16 reads an oil temperature - that will confirm mine is bad.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
If you want to test them, you need a multimeter. You should get the voltage battery at the oil level sensor connector(wiring harness side). There is a procedure you could do for testing the sensor. You need to do some Y jumpers and connect them to the oil level sensor,with the connector attached, the engine running, you should get 12V at the #1 pin and #2 pin.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Since this asked about the E39, I took this from the E39 bestlinks - but I don't know if it applies to the V8:

- How to replace the E39 or E46 I6 oil level sensor (1) (2) & what torque to use (1) & what to do if the oil level sensor sends a signal to blow fuse 15 causing the car to not start (1) (2)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need