Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-14-2016, 03:56 AM

Mein Auto: 328d
Bluetooth firmware upgrade?

Hi guys, just picked up an 05 X5
it has the radio, no nav with dsp.
i found the pairing code in the back, but have a few questions.
Is there an update to the firmware, my iphone connects but only downloads one phone number.

also how do the buttons on the steering wheel work ( R/T and face button )?

one last question not related, The steering feels very tight, is this normal on these cars? its the 3rd x5 ive tried and they are all very tight.

thx
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2016, 04:17 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
"Face button" enables voice command. Have you read your owner's manual, it is on-line at BMW.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:19 AM

hanks, it didnt come with one, ill look it up at the site, how about the steering? is yours tight compared to any other car you have?
Old 04-14-2016, 07:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by newstang View Post
... how about the steering? is yours tight compared to any other car you have?
"Tight" is such a subjective term that it's difficult to individualize...but in my personal opinion...when compared to modern new gen BMWs that have the electronic steering...the e53's has a heavier, more "planted" steering feel vs the new BMWs that come across as having a light steering feel.

Basically I traded your "tight" adjectives with my "heavy", "planted", and "light" steering descriptions...so are we getting anywhere...or are we going around in terminology circles?

Have you driven any other older generation BMWs? If so, you may get my description of the heavier/planted steering feel vs the new generations lighter steering feel. The old gen BMWs steering seems to communicate the cars front end's weight back through the steering as well as some road feed back. I don't tend to feel this with the new gen BMWs with the electronic steering...it seems slightly disconnected when you're used to having the old systems characteristics.

Quote:
... my iphone connects but only downloads one phone number...thx
How long were you and your iphone in the X? It took a while for my X to download my entire phonebook from my Galaxy Note 4...like a couple of days.

Quote:
...also how do the buttons on the steering wheel work ( R/T and face button )?
I can't recall ever intentionally using the R/T button. Its function is to toggle between the radio and phone...but the BT system automatically does this for us. If the phone rings and the radio/CD/tape is on, the volume is automatically lowered so that you can hear the person on the phone. Same thing happens if you use the SPKR face button to initiate a VOICE CALL...the audio system volume is automatically reduced during the call...then returns to normal when the call is over.

Do look for the BLUETOOTH owners manual so that you can learn some of the functions of the VC (voice command) system. You can programm specific numbers or names into the system, then press the SPKR/FACE button to interface with the system and have it call the number or the name you've programmed into the system.

Below are some of the voice commands and how it works (you may or may not have all of the command capabilities listed...for instance, making notes may not be installed):

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 04-14-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:44 AM

Thanks for the info. Yes the heavynis more like it.
I have a 328d ( 2015 ) obviously very different and had a 740IL which steering also was not heavy. ( worst POS I ever owned )
Thanks again, today i add the jack to connect the iphone to the radio !

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search