Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-23-2016, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: E53, E39, e36
air suspension , need help please

hello everyone
I have a X5 2006 4.8is with the two axle air suspension. My issue is kind of different , cant find any one how had the same problem, i did look
usually the car air suspension lose pressure over time, when i don't drive it for a week or so
but when i start it up, the system wakes up, pressure is restored, the car levels up and we r ready to go, today how ever i started the car , it tried to level up , i was not paying close attention but after warming up and started driving , man that car was jumping , parked at the side of the road, went out to take a look, and the front of the car was so low, my tyers almost hitting the finder arches.
went back in the car and used the buttons next to the steering wheel to lift the car, i can hear the compressor running and something is clicking, but the front will not rise, no hissing sound from the front and no massage on the cluster, no warning lights, went to the back to check at the compressor, as to was about to stop working, an air hiss came out like a release valve sound and the compressor was hot to the touch
i don't think the tow front airbags got damaged simultaneously, yet i cant get them to fill so i can test them

any ideas would be appreciated,
thnx
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2016, 03:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 4.4 sports
Firstly, you need to diagnose where the leaks are and remedy these. You said that over a week or so, your car drops - this indicates there is a leak in the system. You have most likely over-worked the compressor and the piston ring seal has now been compromised. If you continue to do this, then you'll need to replace the entire compressor, as you'll burn the motor out. Assuming the compressor is still functional, you can replace the piston ring by purchasing a kit from eBay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151136257...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Check all connections to air-bags and also in the spare tyre compartment where the compressor resides, for obvious leaks. I would start by putting the vehicle up on axle stands (so there's less pressure on the air-bags), start the car up, then listen for leaks, use soapy water on connections etc. Once you've discovered and fixed the leaks, then you should re-kit the compressor with a new piston ring.

Hope this helps.

66 Valiant slant 6 torqueflite (258K miles original)
68 Valiant slant 6 torqueflite (196K miles original)
71 Dodge Challenger 340 (68K miles original)
86 Dodge Ram 318 auto (86K miles original) on LPG/gas
93 Toyota Landcruiser turbo diesel (the workhorse)
08 Golf tdi six speed manual (the fun economy buzz-box)
09 Chrysler 300C SRT-8 (the thrill machine)
Assorted other work vehicles and farm machines...
Old 07-24-2016, 08:24 AM

thank you for the reply, i don't think it is the air pump thou refurbishing the compressor is not a bad idea , the rear air bags are pressurized so the air pump is providing enough pressure to lift the rear,
i will try putting the car on jacks and see how it gos, guess i will do this over the weekend

thank you very much for the suggestion
Old 07-30-2016, 06:46 AM

its one of the front airbags., the strange thing it never gave the dashboard message, until i lifted the car, the tare became bigger and the hissing sound became very clear, it was the driver side, but i don't like the looks of the passenger side too, so i may as well change both just to be on the safe side
thank you all for the help it is very much appreciated

any ideas on ware to get some front air springs for a 2006 E53 ? and will ship overseas without braking the bank
Old 07-30-2016, 02:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 4.4 sports
Arnott's provide better than OEM air-bags.

66 Valiant slant 6 torqueflite (258K miles original)
68 Valiant slant 6 torqueflite (196K miles original)
71 Dodge Challenger 340 (68K miles original)
86 Dodge Ram 318 auto (86K miles original) on LPG/gas
93 Toyota Landcruiser turbo diesel (the workhorse)
08 Golf tdi six speed manual (the fun economy buzz-box)
09 Chrysler 300C SRT-8 (the thrill machine)
Assorted other work vehicles and farm machines...
Old 09-08-2016, 10:41 AM

hello everyone
i took your advice and got me tow air suspension bags from Arnott, and they are gr8, took me about 2 hours to complete the installation, i only wish Arnott's packaging would include the small rubber rings that holds to the top of the thrust shaft, i reused the old ones
7 days now , the car did not go down ever, had it parked for 5 days to test it, and everything seemed ok, except for the massage on the dash " Self-Level Suspension Inactive" and the 4x4 traction light is on
how do i reset this?
i drove the car around for a fare time in different spreads hoping it would reset but no luck
any ideas ?
thankx

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search