Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Gary@Tirerack.com

Old 07-26-2012, 07:41 AM
<my other German

Mein Auto: 05 545i
My tire has a hernia

I have Michelin Pilot Sport AS on my 08 550i sport. I bought them in October 2011 and they have road hazard warranty according to my tire guy, although I'm a little suspicious because the booklet he handed me is a mileage warranty.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I was washing the car and noticed a bubble on the sidewall (the almost non-existant sidewall, as you know). It's about 1 1/2 inches round. Took it immediately to the tire guy who said "that happens sometimes, watch it and bring it in if it gets bigger".

It has not gotten bigger, but my husband says I'm insane to drive on it. Thoughts?

2005 545i, black on black, sport, prem, cold, fold down seats - sold

2005 545i, 6 speed MANUAL, black sapphire, auburn interior, sport, prem, comfort seats, fold down rear seats - deceased
Ads by Google
Old 07-26-2012, 08:14 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
You are insane to drive with a sidewall bubble.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW M3
A sidewall bubble is caused by a tear in the (formerly) air tight inner liner of the tire from impact damage. Since air in tires is under pressure, the air migrates into the sidewall of the tire, causing the bubble/bulge. The sidewall was not designed to keep air inside of the tire so the air will find its way out and cause a tire failure that can be fairly dramatic. How long this takes is completely unpredictable and cannot be accurately judged by the size or depth of the bubble. Hot conditions generally speed up the process.

Last edited by Gary@Tirerack; 07-26-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:09 AM
<my other German

thanks guys. Just got off the phone with the tire store and they said they'd have a replacement in for me by 3:30 today. That was easy. (at least...so far....they said "thank goodness for the road hazard warranty" so I guess that means I'm covered).

Why would the dude I've been buying tires from for 15 years try to kill me?

2005 545i, 6 speed MANUAL, black sapphire, auburn interior, sport, prem, comfort seats, fold down rear seats - deceased
Old 07-26-2012, 01:25 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by danna View Post
thanks guys. Just got off the phone with the tire store and they said they'd have a replacement in for me by 3:30 today. That was easy. (at least...so far....they said "thank goodness for the road hazard warranty" so I guess that means I'm covered).

Why would the dude I've been buying tires from for 15 years try to kill me?
Glad to hear that you are getting the matter resolved.

(note: "fairly dramatic" is a euphamism for 'it can blow out on you and knock your car for a loop')

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.

Last edited by Kamdog; 07-26-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
Glad to hear that you are getting the matter resolved.

(note: "fairly dramatic" is a euphamism for 'it can blow out on you and knock your car for a loop')
Look at the bright side, though -- if this happens, you and your car could be on the 11 o'clock news...
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 07-28-2012, 05:08 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
No problem. Just reinforce it with a mesh. It will look just like new.
Several issues that need explanations
1. Mileage vs hazard warranty. Was it a hazard warranty that looked like a mileage warranty?
2. Tire tech claims "that happens sometimes, watch it and bring it in if it gets bigger" vs getting a new tire immediately. When did the dealer finally realize that it was a problem? Did the bubble get bigger? It looks like it was the same day when they changed their minds.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 07-28-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:55 AM
<my other German

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
No problem. Just reinforce it with a mesh. It will look just like new.
Several issues that need explanations
1. Mileage vs hazard warranty. Was it a hazard warranty that looked like a mileage warranty?
2. Tire tech claims "that happens sometimes, watch it and bring it in if it gets bigger" vs getting a new tire immediately. When did the dealer finally realize that it was a problem? Did the bubble get bigger? It looks like it was the same day when they changed their minds.
1. Apparently it was both.

2. It did not actually get bigger. Timeline was: I show it to the tire guy and he states "that happens....", about a month later husband makes an issue of telling me to go get a new tire, next morning I post here, you guys back up husband's opinion, I call tire store that day and they immediately agree to take care of it. That was thursday, it's actually being mounted right now. It is still a mystery why they didn't just do this when I first showed it to them.