Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
will the X1 have Sport Mode?

Will the X1 have the Sport Mode like the F30? Seeing that the 28i has EcoPro, I thought it might have Sport as well.

I believe the mode in the F30 influences transmission as well as steering boost. Not sure about throttle response. Anyone know?

If unlike the F30, will the transmission at least have a Sport mode like in the past? 6spd or 8 spd?
Ads by Google
Old 07-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Custom User

Mein Auto: X1
I believe the 35i will have the E9x 6AT which does have sport mode. The 28i has the new 8AT which can also be manually shifted, but not sure if it's got a sport mode...
Old 07-28-2012, 12:47 AM

Mein Auto: Camero GT
Yes it does. Sports Mode will also increase the pedal response.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:41 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Will the Sport mode be controlled a button on the gear stick to change between modes, or a button on the dash?
I've seen on some new X1 brochures that the ECO Pro mode button will be below the centre dash.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
I always find these "sport mode" options kind of funny. It's really just transmission and throttle reprogramming. With a manual transmission, you can have "sport mode" any time you want. Just choose when you want to shift! So many of these (expensive) options are just compensating for the fact that computers aren't as precise at knowing what you want than your own brain is.
OK, back to the topic. Will the X1 come with "Sport Mode"?
Old 07-28-2012, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
after some thought, I think the X1 will have the traditional Sport mode on the transmission, regardless of 6 or 8 spd. However it wont have the Sport Mode as in the F30. In the F30, there is a button which changes steering boost and throttle mapping as well as the transmission. In the F30, the tranmission can be put in Sport independent of the steering and throttle with the gear lever, but I don't think you can put it into Sport steering and throttle without the transmission being put into Sport as well.

Now back to the X1, since the Sdrive has EPS, technically it can be equipped with the Sport Mode as in the F30, but I highly doubt it will be implemented. Even if the cost is mimimal, I don't think BMW would want to differentiate (give an edge to) the Sdrive from the Xdrive. I believe the Eco Pro Mode in the 28i will be a button on the lower center counsel as mentioned. I highly doubt that it will default into this mode, and I surely do hope not.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: pending...
From the Standard Features page: "8-speed steptronic automatic transmission with Sport and Manual shift modes and Adaptive Transmission Control (ATC)"

so it has some kind of "Sport Mode"
Old 07-29-2012, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: Camero GT
Sports mode are actual map programming of the throttle responses and can include other components like the suspension setup and steering column. Shifting down to a lower gear on a stick shift does not increase the throttle sensitivity, tightening the steering column or lowers the suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
I always find these "sport mode" options kind of funny. It's really just transmission and throttle reprogramming. With a manual transmission, you can have "sport mode" any time you want. Just choose when you want to shift! So many of these (expensive) options are just compensating for the fact that computers aren't as precise at knowing what you want than your own brain is.
OK, back to the topic. Will the X1 come with "Sport Mode"?
Old 07-30-2012, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
True, Investor27, but the X1 is unlikely to have one of those adjustable suspensions or steering systems. So the option translates to a more sensitive gas pedal and the ability to hold gears longer. My point is that a manual is a much cheaper way of achieving most of the benefits in the X1. Now, on the S4 with the magnetic suspension option, it's a different story.