Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-28-2015, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i
Just bought my first car a 325i need some advice

Hello,

About 2 weeks ago I bought a 2001 325i 135k miles. Next day after I bought it the car would not shift forward (limp mode). Took it to the mechanics he said there was a code for the Transmission Range Sensor TRS Circuit Malfunction. This is my first car, I'm a college student. The seller is offering me to exchange it with a Volkswagen passat 2003 but he claims there is nothing wrong with the car and that changing the oil and replacing the filter will fix the issue so the car would not go in limp mode again. I just need an advice, is this transmission problem serious?? should I just exchange the car? I really like the car, I would say is 9 out of 10. I would appreciate any input. Thank you.
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2015, 08:56 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidb57 View Post
Hello,

About 2 weeks ago I bought a 2001 325i 135k miles. Next day after I bought it the car would not shift forward (limp mode). Took it to the mechanics he said there was a code for the Transmission Range Sensor TRS Circuit Malfunction. This is my first car, I'm a college student. The seller is offering me to exchange it with a Volkswagen passat 2003 but he claims there is nothing wrong with the car and that changing the oil and replacing the filter will fix the issue so the car would not go in limp mode again. I just need an advice, is this transmission problem serious?? should I just exchange the car? I really like the car, I would say is 9 out of 10. I would appreciate any input. Thank you.
Don`t believe the seller for a New York minute....he probably knows nothing about what`s really wrong with it. Tell him you want another similar BMW, but one with a manual trans. See what he says about that. ALL auto trannies are a crapshoot at higher mileage, BMWs are no exception.

Good luck !

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 05-29-2015, 05:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 525i
As far as VW goes, I don't think you'll find many fans of that marque on these boards. Fun to drive, NOT to own.
'02 325it Orient Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blu/Grey
Old 05-29-2015, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i 4 door DD
Quote:
Hello,

The repair for this is a $187 part from The California Transmission Supply Company about 1/2 the price from the dealer. From the DIY I saw, is a fairly simple unbolt the old and bolt in the new.

There is also a DIY on just pulling the part, taking it apart an cleaning it up. You have to drill out the rivets and replace with suitable bolts and nuts.

I'm moving at the moment and don't have time to search for you, but if you search "DIY replacing Transmission Range Sensor" on the E46Fanatics.com site, use advance search and im2stupid as the thread starter.
I will be doing this in the next couple of weeks.
I have your same vehicle. You either have to be willing to learn to wrench on your new car, or have deep pockets, to keep these on the road, they are 15 years old and need some loving.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADF15H View Post
The repair for this is a $187 part from The California Transmission Supply Company about 1/2 the price from the dealer. From the DIY I saw, is a fairly simple unbolt the old and bolt in the new.

There is also a DIY on just pulling the part, taking it apart an cleaning it up. You have to drill out the rivets and replace with suitable bolts and nuts.

I'm moving at the moment and don't have time to search for you, but if you search "DIY replacing Transmission Range Sensor" on the E46Fanatics.com site, use advance search and im2stupid as the thread starter.
I will be doing this in the next couple of weeks.
I have your same vehicle. You either have to be willing to learn to wrench on your new car, or have deep pockets, to keep these on the road, they are 15 years old and need some loving.
Thank you for the information. I don't think I can do that by myself right now. I'm waiting on a quote from a local mechanic. He tried to drive the car around the parking lot and he could not make it go in limp mode again but I know if I take it out and go in the highway, it will happen again. I will let you know what happens this coming week. I live in a small town and these shops only work from M-F. I think it was unwise to buy this car as the poor college student I am but I really wanted a BMW.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Don`t believe the seller for a New York minute....he probably knows nothing about what`s really wrong with it. Tell him you want another similar BMW, but one with a manual trans. See what he says about that. ALL auto trannies are a crapshoot at higher mileage, BMWs are no exception.

Good luck !
The problem is that I'm not dealing with a dealer or anything like that. I bought it off Craiglist. When I told him the car when in limp mode, the offered his dad's car who is living overseas at the moment and he claims the issue is coming from a new battery he had installed just before selling car.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i 4 door DD
Quote:
Thank you for the information. I don't think I can do that by myself right now. I'm waiting on a quote from a local mechanic. He tried to drive the car around the parking lot and he could not make it go in limp mode again but I know if I take it out and go in the highway, it will happen again. I will let you know what happens this coming week. I live in a small town and these shops only work from M-F. I think it was unwise to buy this car as the poor college student I am but I really wanted a BMW.
It normally goes into limp mode upon start up, when you first put it in drive or reverse. If so, put it back in Park, shut the car off. Restart the car, this will usually reset the sensor.
If the P. O. didn't hand over a set of maintenance records with the car, or any car of age, I would take it back.
If you're going to keep it, get a full Pre Purchase Inspection from a verified BMW mechanic (not a local "we work on any car" shop), to see what immediate maintenance, besides the transmission Sensor needs to be handled.
Otherwise, you may be chasing one issue after another.
These aren't your typical change the fluids and plugs Toyota. They are great cars but, you have to stay ahead of 15 year old wear items.