Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:22 AM

Mein Auto: 06 M Roadster
Question M Roadster Service Interval

I know the schedule, I know what needs to be done and when. I know how to read the service indicator. But I have a question I didn't expect or find an answer to directly.

I just bought my 2006 M Roadster from CarMax. Great CarFax, it's been serviced regularly and was CPOed long ago. They (CarMax) told me they changed the oil. (I'm not sure they actually did and I don't trust it's synthetic if they did, but that's another story). The service indicator says it's due for an oil change in 2,600 miles.

I assume that IF CarMax had reset the service reminder, it would say 14xxx miles to next oil change. Correct? In other words, there's no way they set the indicator for 3,000 miles because they use regular oil, right? They can only reset the service indicator or not reset it. And resetting it would go to 15,000 miles. Right?

The real reason I'm concerned about this is that the car is at 60,xxx miles, so it SHOULD have had an Inspection II done not too long ago. If there is no way to mess with the indicator other than to replace it, it's very possible that the Inspection II was done around 48k miles, which would be about right (or a little early). This would also save me a bundle from doing Inspection II "just in case". [Edit] Looked at the CarFax again and it was at a BMW dealership at 50,xxx. Entry just says oil/filter, but could have been Inspection II. Maybe it was just oil but they screwed up the indicator so now it doesn't say Inspection II. I've read about that happening at dealers too.[/Edit]

I'm taking to a shop today to inspect. I'll ask them what they think of the engine sound with respect to the valves needing/not needing adjustment. I don't know what this car should sound like, so I can't say if it sounds proper.

I'm ready for some seriously spirited driving, but want to make sure she's ready for it!

Last edited by GriffBrew; 08-03-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
If you are on good terms with a local BMW dealer or know someone who works there you could ask them to run a Warranty Vehicle Inquiry on the VIN which will show the service history of the car. Even if you don't already have a relationship with a BMW dealer, offer to pay $25 or $50 for the report or convince them that you'll be bringing the car there for service.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 08-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
You also may be able to get the info from BMWUSA. I would give them a call. Any visit to a dealer should show up on a log with everything that was done.