Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 02-28-2011, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 98 M3
e36 98 m3 convertible top problem

Hi,
I searched around but did not find the exact steps to diagonize a convertible top problem.

I have a 98 m3 convertible and the top stopped working suddenly. I did not try using it after last summer and now that the weather is improving, tried to press the button and it does not work. Oops!

1. The red led does not blink when pressing the button
2. No motor sound
2. Windows does not automatically go down

Here is what I tried so far:
1. Replaced fuse 7 under the hood
2. Replaced fuse 49 in the trunk next to battery

Both did not help.

Another problem: the previous owner broke something in the center on the top which is used to manually operate the top when closed. Now I don't know how to manually reset the motor (if that will help)

Please help.

Regards,
Jey
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2011, 03:25 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 M3 Convertible
RE: e36 98 m3 convertible top problem

You might try to reset it and see if that helps. To do this...with car off, hold convertible top button down (if it's closed now, hold the button down as if you are closing it again), turn the key to the #1 position (where you get power but aren't starting it) and hold that convertible button down for 30-60 seconds. It takes a while for anything to happen, but I find that I often have to do this after my top sticks and I manually reset it.

BTW - if the top is open, you can do the same thing, but holding the button in the Open position for 30-60 seconds.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 98 M3
Thanks Sullivanjm. It finally worked - the S5 switch in the trunk lock moved away from its location and I ended up grounding it directly.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Hi, I have a 1999 M3. My convertible top got stock halfway and did not go up or down. I finally had a mechanic close it. It does not go up or down. The switch's light blinks when car is on, but it will not work. The windows will not go up or down. The motor gets power as the mechanic said today. Please let me know what I should do.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
You know you have a fully diagnostic top. If I as you I would strongly consider going to a shop that can diagnosis this. Not just any shop but one that has this capability. Or if you know someone with Carsoft v 8.2 or newer they can dot for you too.
Your light blinking is a good sign because you have power to the switch at least. Once the problem is idenified you can work to correct it.
Most mechanics can't do top work unless they have some good OBDII scan tools.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Smile Thank you

Thank you for responding to my post. I will take it tomorrow and see what the diagnosis is. I will let you know what they say.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: e36 m3
e36 98 m3 convertible top problem

Nahalseh did you manage to find what the problem was???