Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-16-2012, 07:04 PM
GatorACE GatorACE is offline
Registered User
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: 2011 Infiniti G37 Coupe
Rubber Molding/Trim Around Windows

I picked up a 2012 black 328i sportline on April 15.

Only has 1500 miles on it, and it's always garaged when not in use, but the black rubber molding/trim has already fading and it looks disgusting.

Has anyone else experienced this yet?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-16-2012, 07:10 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,484
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Pictures would be helpful.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-17-2012, 06:48 AM
TEAShea TEAShea is offline
Registered User
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 57
Mein Auto: Infinity G35, BMW 545i
try Back to Black
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-17-2012, 07:33 AM
dsackman dsackman is offline
Registered User
Location: Greater Los Angeles area
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: '12 BMW 328, '11 Audi Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorACE View Post
I picked up a 2012 black 328i sportline on April 15.

Only has 1500 miles on it, and it's always garaged when not in use, but the black rubber molding/trim has already fading and it looks disgusting.

Has anyone else experienced this yet?

Yes, one of the first things we noticed with the new car. The vertical strip between the front and rear doors also needs regular attention to make it look good. First time I have experienced this with any car.

It is what it is...



.

Last edited by dsackman; 06-17-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-17-2012, 04:50 PM
GatorACE GatorACE is offline
Registered User
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: 2011 Infiniti G37 Coupe
Pictures will come tomorrow. Spending time with the pops

I think that's unacceptable for a "luxury" brand. Using sub-par materials, along with the known steering wheel vibration AND a recall on the headrest is RIDICULOUS!

Not what I expected for a
BMW. I'm first time BMW owner and not going as expected.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-17-2012, 09:40 PM
jtuds jtuds is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: London, Ontario
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 591
Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorACE View Post
Pictures will come tomorrow. Spending time with the pops

I think that's unacceptable for a "luxury" brand. Using sub-par materials, along with the known steering wheel vibration AND a recall on the headrest is RIDICULOUS!

Not what I expected for a
BMW. I'm first time BMW owner and not going as expected.
These factors are some of the main reasons I haven't jumped in the mix. The excellence in quality and craftsmanship is not being exemplified in these issues, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-17-2012, 10:14 PM
evergreen2000 evergreen2000 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 69
Mein Auto: Acura
I noticed this on some of the dealer cars that are kept outside. They had strange waterspot patterns and fading on the window trim. I'm hoping some sort of protector product can prevent this.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 AM
The X Men The X Men is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,356
Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorACE View Post
I think that's unacceptable for a "luxury" brand. Using sub-par materials, along with the known steering wheel vibration AND a recall on the headrest is RIDICULOUS!

Not what I expected for a
BMW. I'm first time BMW owner and not going as expected.
What do you expect, the F30 is a first year design and it is bound to have a few problem. If all the problems associated with the redesign is as minor as the ones you list, I would say BMW is doing pretty good.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-18-2012, 10:47 AM
jasper7821 jasper7821 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 110
Mein Auto: Z4
I just picked up my new 2012 328i a few days ago and also noticed that even on the brand new car the window rubber looks dried out.
It was probably sitting outside for months in the blazing Arizona heat. My rubber has water spots and fading.

My 2006 Z4 had the same issue and I bought a bottle of stuff that made it look way better and it conditioned it.
I applied it to the new car and it looks a lot better and the stuff soaked in really good and protected it.

Don't remember the name of it since I'm at work but it's in a little round bottle with purple sticker and it has a foam head just like the Kiwi instant shoe shine stuff.

Last edited by jasper7821; 06-18-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-18-2012, 12:02 PM
GatorACE GatorACE is offline
Registered User
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: 2011 Infiniti G37 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
What do you expect, the F30 is a first year design and it is bound to have a few problem. If all the problems associated with the redesign is as minor as the ones you list, I would say BMW is doing pretty good.
Yes they are minor, but the first year design of the Honda Accord coupe i bought (2003), did not have any issues....and it was 20,000 less! Not to mention the recall of the auto-stop feature....that's pretty big.

Once I received the recall for the headrest, I made and appointment to fix that, test the steering wheel and the rubber issue. The appt was made for 2 weeks in advance. The results of the service was "we need to order parts for the recall, and the steering wheel and rubber is just the way it is".....really??? Ample time to order parts for the headrest and they didn't even call to say "hey we don't have the parts, can we reschedule?" I live 60 miles away from the dealership.....great waste of half a day.

I thought that spending more for "premium" and luxury would have ensure better satisfaction? Hopefully they can fix my concerns.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Tom K. Tom K. is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,634
Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
http://www.1z-usa.com/einszett_gummi_pflege.html

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-18-2012, 12:52 PM
jasper7821 jasper7821 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 110
Mein Auto: Z4
Yes, that's the stuff I got. It works awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-18-2012, 01:03 PM
The X Men The X Men is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,356
Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorACE View Post
Yes they are minor, but the first year design of the Honda Accord coupe i bought (2003), did not have any issues....and it was 20,000 less! Not to mention the recall of the auto-stop feature....that's pretty big.

Once I received the recall for the headrest, I made and appointment to fix that, test the steering wheel and the rubber issue. The appt was made for 2 weeks in advance. The results of the service was "we need to order parts for the recall, and the steering wheel and rubber is just the way it is".....really??? Ample time to order parts for the headrest and they didn't even call to say "hey we don't have the parts, can we reschedule?" I live 60 miles away from the dealership.....great waste of half a day.

I thought that spending more for "premium" and luxury would have ensure better satisfaction? Hopefully they can fix my concerns.
First year design Japanese cars usually have less issues. The start stop fix is more of a TSB than a recall.
Nobody stock much parts anymore, its pretty common for all brands, maybe they needed an unexpected part for your head rest recall.
Just because you spend more money on a car, it doesnt mean it will have less problems. In fact, its usually the other around as expensive cars have more gadgets to break.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-18-2012, 03:04 PM
GatorACE GatorACE is offline
Registered User
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: 2011 Infiniti G37 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
First year design Japanese cars usually have less issues. The start stop fix is more of a TSB than a recall.
Nobody stock much parts anymore, its pretty common for all brands, maybe they needed an unexpected part for your head rest recall.
Just because you spend more money on a car, it doesnt mean it will have less problems. In fact, its usually the other around as expensive cars have more gadgets to break.
Lol i see that now.

Here are the pics. Everything but the rubber trim is shiny and beautiful black! It's noticeable from a distance. Rubber doesn't match. Anyways thanks for the info about the product and allowing me to rant.









Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-18-2012, 03:13 PM
rclarke rclarke is offline
Registered User
Location: Central Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: Z series cars...
Hit it with 303 aerospace protectant or gummi pflege...it'll be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-18-2012, 03:15 PM
The X Men The X Men is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,356
Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
That does look pretty bad, especially the last 2 pics. That rubber material might be the wrong type of material for that trim. I bet things like this will be corrected in year 2 or year 3 of production. This is what I mean when I say first year German design tend to have more problems. Be happy, it could be a lot worst

Last edited by The X Men; 06-19-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-18-2012, 03:46 PM
jasper7821 jasper7821 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 110
Mein Auto: Z4
Mine didn't look as bad as that but it was still discolored.
This is what it looks like now after only one quick coat of the Gummi stuff.
I work in the middle of the desert so the specs are new dust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3004.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	329709   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01222 (Small).JPG
Views:	230
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	329710  
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-18-2012, 06:03 PM
mr_clueless's Avatar
mr_clueless mr_clueless is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,970
Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorACE View Post
I thought that spending more for "premium" and luxury would have ensure better satisfaction? Hopefully they can fix my concerns.
Contact BMW about your experience. Next trip to the dealer they will know you by name. It's not a BMW thing...it's a dealer thing.
__________________

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 2K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-18-2012, 08:07 PM
jeremy480 jeremy480 is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Thanks for the link, I have the same problem on my new 328. I just picked up the same stuff from Amazon for $8 shipped (gotta love Amazon Prime).

http://www.amazon.com/einszett-91480...QG/ref=lh_ni_t
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-18-2012, 11:03 PM
mr_clueless's Avatar
mr_clueless mr_clueless is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,970
Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
This is really bad. After reading this post, I went back and paid attention to the trim in my car (9+ years old) and it's nowhere near as bad as this car despite sitting in sun/rain/cold and with ZERO care. What is BMW thinking when they do things like this?
__________________

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 2K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-19-2012, 12:46 AM
evergreen2000 evergreen2000 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 69
Mein Auto: Acura
show us some after pictures once you get some of that gummi protectant
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-19-2012, 07:28 AM
mdsbuc's Avatar
mdsbuc mdsbuc is offline
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
Location: Tampa Bay
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,570
Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
"Bad" rubber on European cars is nothing new. I can remember that as a teenager in the 1960s I had a friend whose family was always buying cars from Europe, mostly British and Italian from my recollection. This was at a time when foreign cars were quite rare here in the States. I would guess, that at that time, less than 5% of the cars on U.S. highways were not American made. Anyway, one thing I remember him telling me then was that one area that Euro cars deficient was in the rubber; the window seals, door seals, etc. It seems incredible that after all these decades this one aspect of Euro car manufacturing seems not to have changed.
__________________
.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers


2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-19-2012, 09:00 AM
gator15 gator15 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Jacksonville
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 126
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
"Bad" rubber on European cars is nothing new. I can remember that as a teenager in the 1960s I had a friend whose family was always buying cars from Europe, mostly British and Italian from my recollection. This was at a time when foreign cars were quite rare here in the States. I would guess, that at that time, less than 5% of the cars on U.S. highways were not American made. Anyway, one thing I remember him telling me then was that one area that Euro cars deficient was in the rubber; the window seals, door seals, etc. It seems incredible that after all these decades this one aspect of Euro car manufacturing seems not to have changed.
Our 2002 Ferrari had to have all of its rubber replaced this year. Worse than just looking bad, the rubber surrounds on the buttons and vents actually were melting, so if you touched it, you would get a black, sticky goo all over your fingers. So, decades later, the Europeans are still using horribly deficient rubber.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-19-2012, 09:18 AM
jeremy480 jeremy480 is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
"Bad" rubber on European cars is nothing new. I can remember that as a teenager in the 1960s I had a friend whose family was always buying cars from Europe, mostly British and Italian from my recollection. This was at a time when foreign cars were quite rare here in the States. I would guess, that at that time, less than 5% of the cars on U.S. highways were not American made. Anyway, one thing I remember him telling me then was that one area that Euro cars deficient was in the rubber; the window seals, door seals, etc. It seems incredible that after all these decades this one aspect of Euro car manufacturing seems not to have changed.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but this seems to be a new issue for BMW. I just looked at an E90 and E46 that my coworkers drive and the rubber trim still looks pretty good considering they've never treated it. There is definitely a difference from my 2012 F30.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-19-2012, 09:46 AM
jasper7821 jasper7821 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 110
Mein Auto: Z4
My 2006 Z4 that I traded for the 328 was always garaged only had 36k miles and my rubber around the windshield was all cracked, that's why I bought the Gummy stuff and it really helped.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms