Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-28-2012, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535
Tuning ECU Flash / Pig Tail Question

I am just coming out of a Porsche Turbo. There are a significant number of ECU Flashes that range in price from $700 - $2,000. As far as I know, there are not any pig tail options.

The price variation is largely based on upgradibility (stage 1, 2, 3) and customization but on the low end you can get 70HP for $700 which is a great HP / $ price.

From what I know about chip tuning non turbo engines, the cost per horsepower is very expensive (thus the need for M Series / AMG) and really requires that you swap out a lot of other components (Exhaust, Headers, etc) to even get marginal increases.

I am wondering if the limited amount of tuning options for the BMW is specific to the fact that the wide spread use of turbo engines is new to BMW and if we can expect to see some of the major tuners focusing on BMW based on a full line up of turbo engines ...
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-sport
Burger Motor Sports and Hartge have a piggy back solution for the F10 535's. There are plenty of exhaust systems out there and a RSi makes a downpipe for the car. For now that is all that I know of for our cars. We are pretty limited on mod as of right now.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymast View Post
I am just coming out of a Porsche Turbo. There are a significant number of ECU Flashes that range in price from $700 - $2,000. As far as I know, there are not any pig tail options.

The price variation is largely based on upgradibility (stage 1, 2, 3) and customization but on the low end you can get 70HP for $700 which is a great HP / $ price.

From what I know about chip tuning non turbo engines, the cost per horsepower is very expensive (thus the need for M Series / AMG) and really requires that you swap out a lot of other components (Exhaust, Headers, etc) to even get marginal increases.

I am wondering if the limited amount of tuning options for the BMW is specific to the fact that the wide spread use of turbo engines is new to BMW and if we can expect to see some of the major tuners focusing on BMW based on a full line up of turbo engines ...
No, it's due to the fact that the ECU in the F10 has proven very difficult to work with and, despite the familiar N55 and N63 engines, not many companies have worked to crack it.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-18-2012, 12:58 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: E92
If you're looking for a flash tune, I'd recommend that you check out the Cobb AccessPORT. The Cobb AccessPORT ECU Flash simply replaces conservative factory settings with more aggressive calibrations that result in impressive gains in torque and horsepower while still maintaining a high degree of safety for your N54 engine. The tuning is extremely flexible and allows you to choose on the fly one of the performance maps that are loaded onto the AccessPORT. Typical performance gains from the Cobb AccessPORT Stage 1 flash are increases of 30% peak horsepower and an amazing 38% increase in peak torque. The stage 1 tuns is meant to be used on a stock car and will not require any additional mods. This tune is an ECU flash, not a piggy-back tuner, there will be no added devices to your vehicle's ECU.

You will get a whole lot more functionality and accessibility with the COBB AP. You do get free software and map updates for life that be downloaded straight from the COBB AP Manager software. Not to mention that the COBB AP does allow for you to do live data logging, trouble shoot and scan codes, and of course switch maps. Installation is straight forward and is done through the OBDII port and the Cobb AccessPORT hand held unit. You can also export your stock map on your computer to back it up just in case you do ever lose your COBB AP Hand held unit. Again, you do get free updates for life and depending on what mods you have on your car, you'll be able to run the various maps that are available!

Video Tutorials:
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm | Sat 8:00am-5:00pm
Check out the Blog for daily updates!

Last edited by ModBargains.com; 09-18-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 550i
N54?