Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 Roadster
Windscreen washer problem

The windscreen washer has stopped working, a few drops of water emerge for a couple pf second but then stop. Pump runs ok and pipes do not seem to be blocked. Wipers work OK.

I dont know what the electrical wiring does that enters the rear of the piddler pipe units, could this be the source of the problem, an electrical failure. All relevant fuses are OK !

Would welcome some help!

Thanks

Last edited by Pocalin; 07-28-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: sloporsche
just basic washer pump info........check flow close to the pump,if its still weak look for dirt in pump/tank
Old 07-28-2012, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 Roadster
Pocalin. I had close to the same issue when I bought my Z3. Like Wifesauto stated, I ended up taking the pump out of the tank and the screen was clogged with dirt/sludge. Took about 5mins(ish) total time to take the tank off, pull the electric pump, clean the screen and rince the tank, and reinstall. Not hard to do. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tonk
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by smayo964 View Post
Pocalin. I had close to the same issue when I bought my Z3. Like Wifesauto stated, I ended up taking the pump out of the tank and the screen was clogged with dirt/sludge. Took about 5mins(ish) total time to take the tank off, pull the electric pump, clean the screen and rince the tank, and reinstall. Not hard to do. Good luck.
My mom's having an issue with her windshield washers and I feel that it's probably the same issue. Do you have a link to a DIY or would you mind explaining the process/tools required? Can you get to it just by opening the hood or do you need to take off the fender liner, etc?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
The wiring under the hood is for heaters in the nozzles.

I understand that the water bottle is slightly different for European and American versions. For my american version, there is only one plasic screw that holds the bottle in and the pump is held in place only by friction in a rubber O-ring. To clean it, you just unscrew the screw, lift the bottle out, and pull the pump out of the bottle.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tonk
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW M3
Ok so I just worked on my mom's Z3 and fixed the problem. I took the tank out and looked at the filter, as recommended. The filter was perfectly clean. I also checked all the fuses. Had my mom hit the washers while the engine bay was open, no windshield washer motor noise (but the wipers worked). Went to the local BMW dealership and got a new motor, which was like $70, but no auto parts stores carry them or will even order them. Put the new motor in and it worked perfectly.

So my suggestion to anyone who has the same issue in the future is to listen for the motor that controls the washer system, it's attached to the side of the washer fluid tank and it's pretty loud. I never work on my own cars, not even for oil changes, but I was able to fix this issue in five minutes so it's super easy.