Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 08-08-2012, 02:17 PM
BMWTurboDzl BMWTurboDzl is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SE United States
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,222
Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
Soot is normal as it is a diesel after all. ULSD has reduced the soot considerably. Injectors should last over 100k miles easy however sometimes they go bad and a couple of failures is by no means a trend. We're not driving 335i's with the N54 after all.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-08-2012, 07:24 PM
mg601 mg601 is offline
Registered User
Location: napa
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2009 335D
update 2

the SES code came back as clogged airway. They are going to take off the valve cover and walnut blast the intake rails.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-20-2012, 04:37 PM
clippernation clippernation is offline
Go Bruins!
Location: Westwood, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2012 F30
Update: After I got my car back from the dealer on the 8th, SES popped up this weekend again. Brought it in today and just got the call again that its the fuel injector AGAIN. I asked him how it's possible, and the SA said that they're 6 fuel injectors. I then asked "am I going to have to come back here each time to change them out", and he said nodded and said "that's BMW." Is he just pulling my chain about this?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,032
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
To clarify, a different injector on a different cylinder has now gone bad too? I had that happen on my truck last year, one injector in Jan, four injectors in March, and in May one injector. In May I opted to have them replace the remaining two as well even thorough they were fine. I was not about to pay the labor bill again, on my truck the labor to replace one or all four injectors is no different. In your case the question is do you have something killing injectors or did you get a batch of six bad ones from the factory. I'd ask the SA how much more to replace your remaining four original injectors.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-20-2012, 06:04 PM
clippernation clippernation is offline
Go Bruins!
Location: Westwood, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2012 F30
Yup, he was stating that a different injector has gone bad too, triggering the SES. My car is still under warranty so it's getting replaced tomorrow morning, but still I don't want to have to take the time and effort to go back and forth to get every single one replaced if they're all going to fail fairly quickly. Which is another disconcerting notion as well. I haven't used my JBD for over a year and a half now due to some concerns I read here about long term stress of continuously over stock rail pressure, yet my injectors are failing left and right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
To clarify, a different injector on a different cylinder has now gone bad too? I had that happen on my truck last year, one injector in Jan, four injectors in March, and in May one injector. In May I opted to have them replace the remaining two as well even thorough they were fine. I was not about to pay the labor bill again, on my truck the labor to replace one or all four injectors is no different. In your case the question is do you have something killing injectors or did you get a batch of six bad ones from the factory. I'd ask the SA how much more to replace your remaining four original injectors.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Deed Deed is offline
Registered User
Location: Oh
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 335d, m coupe, m roadster
Anyone ever find out the root cause of the injector failures? Clogging or some mechanical/electrical failure? Had one fail at 71k. Appears that 4 and 2 have failed at 89 and 91k, respectively.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-20-2012, 04:17 PM
dieseldr dieseldr is offline
Registered User
Location: Central Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 335d
It is probably just coincidence, but soon after the EGR warranty repair, MPG went down to 28, and within a month injector #2 failed.

Apparently #2 was leaking badly, as now with the new injector the MPG is back to 31.

I wonder if there is any part of the EGR repair that could get debris into the fuel rail.

My wife's 7.3L Ford Powerstroke has 235k on the original injectors. I attribute this to me using all the tips and tricks available to prolong injector life.

Our ancient Mercedes Diesels have mechanical injectors, I love them, after 100k miles, just take them apart, put in a new nozzle, recalibrate the "POP" pressure spring, good for another 100K.
__________________
1983 300TD = old clacker 370,000
1985 300SD = Son's Diesel cruiser 340,000
1985 300TD = Dad's Diesel wagon 175,000
1992 Kubota Diesel tractor = mutant lawn mower 390hrs
2000 Ford Powerstroke Diesel = Wife's Toyota crusher 240,000
2010 BMW 335d = new toy 52,000
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-20-2012, 07:03 PM
cz335d cz335d is offline
Registered User
Location: So. CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 201 335D
I have a 2010 35d with 49,600 miles.
At 47,067 miles Injectors #3 and #4 were replaced. October 18, 2012.
At 48,559 miles Injector #2 replaced. November 13, 2012.
At 49,047 miles Injectors #1, #5, #6 and #3 replaced. Replaced Intake Manifold and DDE Control Module. Dropped off car 11/28/12 completed 12/11/12.
I have tracked all fuel purchases: 117 entries, 30.3 MPG, $6,136.76. All purchases @ Shell or Chevron.BMW checked for gasoline in fuel; none. No modifications to vehicle. After the third trip in for repairs were complete I expressed my concern to the Service Manager that I had little trust with this BMW Diesel. I let them know I would consider selling the 335d because of my lack of confidence with the diesel engine and replace it with a Honda Accord. The Director of Fixed Operations @ BMW Riverside told me that BMW wants their customers to remain BMW customers and asked if BMW provided an extended warranty would I be satisfied. Two days later BMW gave me an extended Platinum Warranty extension to 6 years / 100,000 miles. I purchased the car new 12/05/09 from BMW Riverside and all services @ BMW Riverside. I hope this will assist others. I have a basic knowledge of the repairs. The last Repair Invoice is 6 pages.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-21-2012, 06:57 AM
bimmerdiesel's Avatar
bimmerdiesel bimmerdiesel is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bedford MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 810
Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by cz335d View Post
After the third trip in for repairs were complete I expressed my concern to the Service Manager that I had little trust with this BMW Diesel. I let them know I would consider selling the 335d because of my lack of confidence with the diesel engine and replace it with a Honda Accord. The Director of Fixed Operations @ BMW Riverside told me that BMW wants their customers to remain BMW customers and asked if BMW provided an extended warranty would I be satisfied. Two days later BMW gave me an extended Platinum Warranty extension to 6 years / 100,000 miles. I purchased the car new 12/05/09 from BMW Riverside and all services @ BMW Riverside. I hope this will assist others. I have a basic knowledge of the repairs. The last Repair Invoice is 6 pages.
So you got it for free!!! WOW and you have very good dealer by your side. He probably knows you will come back again for some repair and he can recoup his investment from BMW but still....
__________________

335d Black Sapphire/Biege/Premium/Sport/Cold/Nav/CA/PDC/iPod

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-21-2012, 07:23 AM
cz335d cz335d is offline
Registered User
Location: So. CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 201 335D
According to dealer the extended warranty was covered by BMW.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-28-2013, 03:45 PM
voodoocar voodoocar is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: sonata
should I buy a 335D

Ok, I nearly bought a used 335D but you guys are scaring me. I put 200k miles on my cummins diesel and never replaced an injector. It seems like a great car is it worth the trouble?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,032
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoocar View Post
Ok, I nearly bought a used 335D but you guys are scaring me. I put 200k miles on my cummins diesel and never replaced an injector. It seems like a great car is it worth the trouble?
I do not think enough people have posted up issues about injectors to classify it as trouble at all. It is not like we are talking about Ford 6.0 PSD injector problems here, I put 14 injectors into my 6.0 over 235k miles, now THAT is trouble.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-01-2013, 04:49 AM
BMWTurboDzl BMWTurboDzl is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SE United States
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,222
Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
I do not think enough people have posted up issues about injectors to classify it as trouble at all. It is not like we are talking about Ford 6.0 PSD injector problems here, I put 14 injectors into my 6.0 over 235k miles, now THAT is trouble.
+1.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-03-2013, 05:27 AM
TDIwyse TDIwyse is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Midwest
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 406
Mein Auto: 4 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deed View Post
Anyone ever find out the root cause of the injector failures? Clogging or some mechanical/electrical failure? Had one fail at 71k. Appears that 4 and 2 have failed at 89 and 91k, respectively.
This is an excellent question.

It's been known since the 1930's that dirt and water in fuel are the main causes of premature failures in diesel engines. This report by Donaldson (as well as others by CAT) show why modern common rail diesels need better than 5um filtration for long term fuel system operation.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/s...ary/063416.pdf

I'd love to see some analysis on the failed injectors. The codes being thrown seem to indicate the injectors are leaking (unable to zero out the adaptation) which would seem to indicate an abrasive wearing at the interface of the nozzel caused by excessively sized particles in the fuel... But this is pure speculation without failure analysis of the particular injectors.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAg&dur=2556
__________________
2011 335d 11.8 sec 120 mph 1/4 mile NHRA certified track

2004 Ram Cummins with lots-o-mods
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-15-2013, 04:43 PM
cz335d cz335d is offline
Registered User
Location: So. CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 201 335D
Back in for injector #2. Failed. Replaced. Warranty. SA did not have an explanation why a second failure for #2. Fuel contamination is not at fault. Mileage 52k. this service was performed @ BMW of Ontario. I am concerned about this even though I have an extended Platinum Warranty provided by BMW. Suggest others ask for BMW to provide this if you have the same issue/concern.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-15-2013, 05:22 PM
montr montr is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 210
Mein Auto: 335d 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cz335d View Post
Back in for injector #2. Failed. Replaced. Warranty. SA did not have an explanation why a second failure for #2. Fuel contamination is not at fault. Mileage 52k. this service was performed @ BMW of Ontario. I am concerned about this even though I have an extended Platinum Warranty provided by BMW. Suggest others ask for BMW to provide this if you have the same issue/concern.
Injector #2 did fail 3 times on my 335d. The 3th time, the dealer opened a PUMA case. It was determined this was a software problem, not an injector problem. BMWNA instructed to clear the fault and update the car software to level E89X-12-07-508, no injector change.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=35
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 AM
HoustonScott HoustonScott is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, Tx
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 77
Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Anyone with issues run additives before failures? Just thinking running additives group not in the injector issue group. Anyone buying fuel with 5% bio in this injector failure group.

HS

Last edited by HoustonScott; 03-21-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-21-2013, 07:55 AM
DunkinV DunkinV is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 335d Carbon Generator
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonScott View Post
Anyone with issues run additives before failures? Just thinking running additives group not in the injector issue group. Anyone buying fuel with 5% bio in this injector failure group.
I had 6 injectors replaced between 57,000 miles and 92,000 miles, and half were repeat failures on the same cylinders. I never ran additives or biodiesel, based on BMW's recommendations. After the first couple injectors were replaced I completely switched my fuel brand and the failures kept coming.

In my case, final BMW PUMA recommendation last November was to replace the DDE. I struggle to understand what could have caused the DDE to fail. From my limited evidence, it seems more like an electronics design or software issue.

I would *love* to know that this is solved, as I'm nearing the end of my 100,000 mile warranty period.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-21-2013, 08:00 AM
HoustonScott HoustonScott is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, Tx
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 77
Mein Auto: 2010 335d
So one in group with no additives or bio. Bio at 5% is as good additives. There is an extensive study on this issue, wish I knew where I read it. Getting hard to find diesel without 5%, in Houston.

HS

Last edited by HoustonScott; 03-21-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-21-2013, 08:36 AM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,616
Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkinV View Post
...
In my case, final BMW PUMA recommendation last November was to replace the DDE. I struggle to understand what could have caused the DDE to fail. From my limited evidence, it seems more like an electronics design or software issue...
I suspect that the injector driver electronics are part of the DDE board. I can readily imagine that a capacitor, diode or amplifier for the injectors (remember, we're talking several impulses per combustion cycle) failing.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-21-2013, 08:54 AM
DunkinV DunkinV is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 335d Carbon Generator
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
I suspect that the injector driver electronics are part of the DDE board. I can readily imagine that a capacitor, diode or amplifier for the injectors (remember, we're talking several impulses per combustion cycle) failing.
Could be. It would be interesting to understand the board better. Since other posters here are being given software fixes for injector failures, I have assumed that board is based on a processor and the timings are determined via software. If the timings are off, a software fix can make that adjustment.

On the other hand, if the processor is just not fast enough to keep up then the software fix will be unable to handle it and this would be an example of a design issue.

Time will truly tell, but for what it's worth BMW believes my 6 injector failures to be unrelated to fuel.


EDIT: I should re-state that last point for any engineers reading this. Fuel could be _related_; but root cause was something in the DDE.

Last edited by DunkinV; 03-21-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-21-2013, 04:33 PM
montr montr is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 210
Mein Auto: 335d 2010
I do not think the repeated injectors failure on the same cylinder are related to the fuel quality. My second injector failure occured after 10 minutes of driving or about 10 miles away from the dealer, the same day the new injector was installed. As I mentionned previously, for my car, the fix was to load a new software without replacing injector #2.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms