Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I checked it out after reading your post and will call to see if I can get a room reservation for that weekend. It's about a 4+ hour drive, but it sounds like fun and a great opportunity to meet some Bimmerfest regulars.

Are you going? I will also bring my wife if she has recovered enough from her scheduled foot surgery.
The Wake Robin Inn has a block of rooms on hold until the end of the week. Call them at (860) 435-2000 and tell them you are with the Bimmerfest group.

http://www.wakerobininn.com/

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 08-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
A good read below.

I shall point out when the CEO of BMWNA started talking about his NA competitors, the article put Cadillac first, MB and Lexus 2nd and 3rd, no mention of others. Just trying to piss off BJ I guess.

http://bottomline.nbcnews.com/_news/...ry-market?lite

Last edited by dtc100; 08-27-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Saw a red Cadillac ATS on the road today, I think. It looked quite big.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:45 PM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
75 competing creases and angles will do that... probably was a CTS
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 09-17-2012, 01:48 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
Saw a red Cadillac ATS on the road today, I think. It looked quite big.
Ha ha ha. It's a piece of crap American car, not surprising it's ugly.

I may have seen one of these beasts last week. It was red and it had big side panels and a tiny greenhouse. There was an 80 year old driving it, very sporting.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samualcc View Post
75 competing creases and angles will do that... probably was a CTS
I'm sure it was an ATS, the back end looks quite different from the CTS.

It just didn't look very aggressive. They really need some sort of sport model.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I'm sure it was an ATS, the back end looks quite different from the CTS.

It just didn't look very aggressive. They really need some sort of sport model.
From what I heard so far, most dealers still don't have it yet, and those that arrived are mostly spoken for. Rumor is, just like the XTS, an iPad is included for you to play the CUE at home.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
From what I heard so far, most dealers still don't have it yet, and those that arrived are mostly spoken for. Rumor is, just like the XTS, an iPad is included for you to play the CUE at home.
Locals dealers have several, but no 2.0L yet.

The free iPad is not for ATS, only XTS.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
Quote:
So today marks the 30th day since ATS officially rolled off the assembly line. There have yet a single sighting of it at any dealer at all.

There are however signs that dealers will finally receive very limited supply next week, and according to some dealers, initially ATS will likely sell at above MSRP.

Things don't seem to bode too well for us who want to test drive one. If ATS turns out a hot seller, and price stays high, I would not be interested.

There are a few other things Caddy tries to outdo 3 series, ATS will have 6 year/70k mile free maintenance and powertrain warranty, aside from the standard 4 year/50k bumper to bumper for this segment.
It's already overprices as it is....I don't know who'd pay above MSRP for one. I fugred they'd be selling them for well below to get it out on the road and give the impression that it's catching on...
Old 09-17-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Locals dealers have several, but no 2.0L yet.

According to the latest reports, they decided to have free iPads for ATSs also, must have CUE in the car.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
It's already overprices as it is....I don't know who'd pay above MSRP for one. I fugred they'd be selling them for well below to get it out on the road and give the impression that it's catching on...
Cadillac buyers disagree. Try buying a used CTS-V, they are crazy expensive. I'm sure the initial batch of ATSs will be sold at MSRP or higher. Much later you'll see big factory incentives, I'd guess.

Now it's possible the ATS will not be as popular as CTS, since it's smaller, but the CTS has been a big success for them, despite what BMW fans might think.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
A lot of people don't understand why some pay a lot for a Bimmer either.

If you are one of those who must be the first to have it, would an extra $1k (out of $45k) stop you from getting it?

Last edited by dtc100; 09-17-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
you probably saw the xts. they all look the same....ugly
Old 09-17-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
According to the latest reports, they decided to have free iPads for ATSs also, must have CUE in the car.
That's smart. I'll admit to being tempted by a 2.0L Premium w/ LSD and Magnetic suspension at $46k, if it sounds better and is more fun than a 3 series.

That's a lot of ifs though.

I may go check out the ATS at the dealership, although usually when I do that with American cars, the interiors feel cheap up close and I'm disappointed.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Cadillac buyers disagree. Try buying a used CTS-V, they are crazy expensive. I'm sure the initial batch of ATSs will be sold at MSRP or higher. Much later you'll see big factory incentives, I'd guess.

Now it's possible the ATS will not be as popular as CTS, since it's smaller, but the CTS has been a big success for them, despite what BMW fans might think.
I think Caddy will make sure they sell more ATSs than CTSs. It would be an embarrassment if they don't.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I think Caddy will make sure they sell more ATSs than CTSs. It would be an embarrassment if they don't.
I hope so. A $4500 factory incentive would make the car a lot more attractive.

As long as they don't start selling it to fleets, then I won't touch it, since that always kills resale.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:23 PM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Quote:

First off, you cannot use the CTS-V as your example of resale value. That is a limited quantity, high demand product with a dedicated following.

Cadillac, and in general American "luxury" cars have horrid resale value. Over MSRP? Are you kidding? Pay BMW prices without any of the advantages. There is a reason the CTS is heavily discounted, as are all Cadillac vehicles (CTS-V not included).

In my social circle I have seen no evidence that Cadillac has elevated itself to anything beyond the old man car. They where on the right track, but then copied their crazy design onto such classics as the DTS. You know, the car grandpa drives to church on Sundays.

All that said, Cadillac needs to price their cars like an Infiniti. G37s are everywhere, mostly on account of super competitive pricing + feature richness.
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 09-17-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samualcc View Post
First off, you cannot use the CTS-V as your example of resale value. That is a limited quantity, high demand product with a dedicated following.

Cadillac, and in general American "luxury" cars have horrid resale value. Over MSRP? Are you kidding? Pay BMW prices without any of the advantages. There is a reason the CTS is heavily discounted, as are all Cadillac vehicles (CTS-V not included).

In my social circle I have seen no evidence that Cadillac has elevated itself to anything beyond the old man car. They where on the right track, but then copied their crazy design onto such classics as the DTS. You know, the car grandpa drives to church on Sundays.

All that said, Cadillac needs to price their cars like an Infiniti. G37s are everywhere, mostly on account of super competitive pricing + feature richness.
A quick Edmunds check shows no incentives on 2013 CTSs. And CTS-Vs hold their value better than M cars, which are also limited quantity with a following.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Since the ATS is not on sale yet (or has just gone on sale) there are no statistics yet available as to what the the demographic of the market for the ATS is going to be.

I think it is safe to assume that it is not going to appeal to the stereotypical geratric Cadillac owner as it has none of the attributes that appeal to that market segment so the chances of it being an "old man's car" is not highly likely.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 09-17-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Since the ATS is not on sale yet (or has just gone on sale) there are no statistics yet available as to what the the demographic of the market for the ATS is going to be.

I think it is safe to assume that it is not going to appeal to the stereotypical geratric Cadillac owner as it has none of the attributes that appeal to that market segment so the chances of it being an "old man's car" is not highly likely.

CA
I agree. The ATS has no buttons or knobs, all by touch, swipe and voice. I don't see older generations buying that.

The CTSs have nice incentives for awhile now. I have even read some nice lease deals on the new XTS. I think after the initial rush, ATS will have very good lease deals too. GM should know to compete in this segment, they need to lease it.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:

CA
I think there is a market out there for people who want a car like a BMW, without the stigma, or whatever you'd call it. The same thing that gives BJ a woody about his BMW, turns off other people, who don't want to be labeled "an a-hole BMW owner".

Now how big this market is I don't know, but I know a lot of people who feel this way. They can afford to, but simply won't buy a BMW.

Now whether they'll buy a Cadillac is another question.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
I agree. The ATS has no buttons or knobs, all by touch, swipe and voice. I don't see older generations buying that.

The CTSs have nice incentives for awhile now. I have even read some nice lease deals on the new XTS. I think after the initial rush, ATS will have very good lease deals too. GM should know to compete in this segment, they need to lease it.
That can be a problem, because i agree, i dont think old people will go for that, but good luck getting young people to buy a cadillac. They might have a flop on their hands, unless they sell it at a ridiculous discount and have to give them away.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:

So Cadillac's are so bad they need to give free iPad's and lemonade to get them sold?

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 09-17-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
So Cadillac's are so bad they need to give free iPad's and lemonade to get them sold?

BJ
Not up to your usual standard, BJ.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:

CA
They'd better pray the stereotypical geriatric Cadillac owner likes the ATS or they're going to quickly find there's no buyer for it at all.

If no old men are interested and certainly no young men are interested, holy Toledo what a disaster.

BJ