Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
yea but you still get your kicks at the track. I don't even though I have toyed with the idea. My wife, love her to death, when I met her she said to me, get ride of the bike and please don't ever race. I was a fool and said I give you my word. 21 years later, I love her more than ever so I still need the manual...
Tell her autox is not race. Once she gets used to that, move on to the track
Old 09-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Makes sense, old people would prefer an auto over a manual.
I'm calling on this. On the GT forums there are plenty of old codgers, like myself, choosing to "row" the gears.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 09-26-2012, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
If your younger than 60 then i dont consider you old.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:10 PM

It could be those age 47 (like those who drive BMWs) are more likely to drive an AT. Most of them have to battle traffic during commute, and spouses who they must please, both factors are against having an MT.

Those who are older don't have to deal with traffic, or listen to their wives anymore
Old 09-26-2012, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
It could be those age 47 (like those who drive BMWs) are more likely to drive an AT. Most of them have to battle traffic during commute, and spouses who they must please, both factors are against having an MT.

Those who are older don't have to deal with traffic, or listen to their wives anymore
No, we still have to listen to our wives. It's just that we make sure they also have the car of their dreams.

Last edited by beden1; 09-26-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah...I'm still not considered old! I tell my kids that I'm still too young to be a grandparent. Maybe in 10-15 years I'll be ready.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
No, we still have to listen to our wives. It's just that we make sure they also have the car of their dreams.
My point exactly. Older drivers can afford to buy their wives their dream cars, or dream whatever, so the guys don't have to hear their wives bitching at what cars they drive

The 47 year olds likely have not reached that level, and still must share the car with the wife, or listen to them riding shotgun.

Last edited by dtc100; 09-26-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Ms. Audio is perfectly comfortable driving an MT. We shared MT cars for years.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 09-26-2012, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
That MT reviewer sucks, he said BMW manuals were always bad. And he said the ATS needs to shift into 4th at 55mph, and that it has more power in 2nd gear. Duh, cause 2nd gear (not 4th) is shorter than the BMW.

MT is a waste of paper.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:41 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels".

Groucho

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
That MT reviewer sucks, he said BMW manuals were always bad. And he said the ATS needs to shift into 4th at 55mph, and that it has more power in 2nd gear. Duh, cause 2nd gear (not 4th) is shorter than the BMW.

MT is a waste of paper.
You have a point there, I found it hard to believe they could not reach 60mph in 3rd gear.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:26 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
FWIW If I pushed the redline I could reach 60 mph in 3rd gear in my 1992 honda civic.

If anyone saw it, Motorweek also gave the ATS a glowing review. Whether the ATS edges out the 3-series or comes up just short doesn't really matter. It is clear that with the ATS Cadillac has "announced its presence with authority." The ATS is a serious car that presents BMW with some very real competition. BMW had better keep its eye on the ball.

Nothing wrong with a little healthy competition.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 09-27-2012, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post

CA
Same for my wife. Quite comfortable shifting for herself. Her biggest issue is getting the tranny into reverse. She needs 2 hands to overcome the spring.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:

CA
I think my wife is more excited to get to drive a MT again after almost 3 years without one than I. She has already announced she is driving the car for the foreseeable future. I guess I am stuck with the X5..LOL

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.

Last edited by windsor027; 09-27-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:49 AM

We akways had Manual Transmission cars in NYC and AT cars (generally Jaguars) in Florida. The lastest Jaguar, an XKR with the ZF AT and paddle shifters) really made us think twice about whether we should get an AT or an MT when we purchased the 335i.

We did a bit of research and test drove both. As much as I liked the XKR I was convinced that a "real driver" drove an MT. At the time we were orderng the 335i we were at a party at a friends home and the AT vs. MT subject came up in conversation. As it turned out the best and most experienced drivers allmost exclusively had ATs in their street cars. We ordered the 335i with a Steptronic and I have never regretted that decision.

I totally understand why some people prefer MTs and would never try to talk somebody out of one but at this stage I really don't see any advantage to an MT other than personal preference. I do think, however, that learning how to drive an MT is valuable skill to master if you are serious about driving and want to learn car conrol and vehicle dynamics.

I also think that some cars are meant to have ATs (i.e. the 750iL) some are meant to have MTs (i.e. Miatas) and some match up well with either (i.e. a 3 Series).

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 09-27-2012, 07:21 AM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post

It is clear that with the ATS Cadillac has "announced its presence with authority." The ATS is a serious car that presents BMW with some very real competition. BMW had better keep its eye on the ball.

Ha ha ha. Very funny, good one.

Cadillac has just gone down the Honda Element rabbit hole, designing a car to find out there's no audience. The Element was going to be a 22 year old's surfboard carrier at the beach and instead turned out to be his grandfathers wheelchair transport at the old age home. Suicide doors, carpetless vinyl flooring, low-riding running boards, what was supposed to be a college boys shag-wagon was a total misread and a colossal bust.

Cadillac's core customer is a 65 year old who likes a large, spongy ride. Yeah, so let's make a small, firm car. The Cadillac owner just discovered the internet, is afraid of cellphones. Cool, so let's fill the car with gadgetry. The Cadillac brand represents passivity and relaxation. Great, so let's make an edgy sportscar.

Going after the BMW 3 Series is a daunting enough challenge without making all these mistakes, going to be epic with them.

BJ
Old 09-27-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Cadillac has just gone down the Honda Element rabbit hole, designing a car to find out there's no audience.

Cadillac's core customer is a 65 year old who likes a large, spongy ride. Yeah, so let's make a small, firm car. The Cadillac owner just discovered the internet, is afraid of cellphones. Cool, so let's fill the car with gadgetry. The Cadillac brand represents passivity and relaxation. Great, so let's make an edgy sportscar.

Going after the BMW 3 Series is a daunting enough challenge without making all these mistakes, going to be epic with them.
Can you think of a car that gets great reviews but nobody buys? A large portion of BMW's popularity is that it gets great reviews by car magazines that take it to the track, and praise it's sporty pretensions. If the Cadillac gets a lot of press about beating the 3 series, people will buy it, it won't be a failure.

You're forgetting there's a lot of Americans who feel a little patriotism, give them an excuse to buy an American car and they'll do it.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

Ha ha ha. Very funny, good one.

Cadillac has just gone down the Honda Element rabbit hole, designing a car to find out there's no audience. The Element was going to be a 22 year old's surfboard carrier at the beach and instead turned out to be his grandfathers wheelchair transport at the old age home. Suicide doors, carpetless vinyl flooring, low-riding running boards, what was supposed to be a college boys shag-wagon was a total misread and a colossal bust.

BJ

BMW is not exacly immune to releasing a car that has no audience.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 09-27-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Can you think of a car that gets great reviews but nobody buys? A large portion of BMW's popularity is that it gets great reviews by car magazines that take it to the track, and praise it's sporty pretensions. If the Cadillac gets a lot of press about beating the 3 series, people will buy it, it won't be a failure.

You're forgetting there's a lot of Americans who feel a little patriotism, give them an excuse to buy an American car and they'll do it.
I am surprised even Chris90 could not find BJ's latest post funny anymore
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
BMW is not exacly immune to releasing a car that has no audience.

CA
bunch of those where i live
Old 09-27-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Just goes to show people in your neck of the woods are not representative of the usual BMW demographics
Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I just saw my first one parked at the mall yesterday. It had wheels that looked like those on the VW GTi. Definitely a strange vehicle.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
We akways had Manual Transmission cars in NYC and AT cars (generally Jaguars) in Florida. The lastest Jaguar, an XKR with the ZF AT and paddle shifters) really made us think twice about whether we should get an AT or an MT when we purchased the 335i.

We did a bit of research and test drove both. As much as I liked the XKR I was convinced that a "real driver" drove an MT. At the time we were orderng the 335i we were at a party at a friends home and the AT vs. MT subject came up in conversation. As it turned out the best and most experienced drivers allmost exclusively had ATs in their street cars. We ordered the 335i with a Steptronic and I have never regretted that decision.

I totally understand why some people prefer MTs and would never try to talk somebody out of one but at this stage I really don't see any advantage to an MT other than personal preference. I do think, however, that learning how to drive an MT is valuable skill to master if you are serious about driving and want to learn car conrol and vehicle dynamics.

I also think that some cars are meant to have ATs (i.e. the 750iL) some are meant to have MTs (i.e. Miatas) and some match up well with either (i.e. a 3 Series).
CA
Right! My wife's everyday car has an AT, as does our Tahoe and Suburban. But, I always have a fun car with a manual transmission like my ZO6 did and now my 911 does. For me, MT are just more engaging and fun to drive, when I'm looking to have fun driving my car.

Last edited by beden1; 09-27-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Right! My wife's everyday car has an AT, as does our Tahoe and Suburban. But, I always have a fun car with a manual transmission like my ZO6 did and now my 911 does. For me, MT are just more engaging and fun to drive, when I'm looking to have fun driving my car.
Our other car is an AT Subaru Outback - I'd never want a manual in that car, what's the point?

It's kind of sad that the 3 series is now getting so soft and boaty that people are like "why have a manual in this car, what's the point?"
Old 09-27-2012, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Our other car is an AT Subaru Outback - I'd never want a manual in that car, what's the point?

It's kind of sad that the 3 series is now getting so soft and boaty that people are like "why have a manual in this car, what's the point?"
I had a MT Subaru Outback, and loved it. That is the point Chris. Its what you love to drive.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.