Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:02 PM
MT4LIFE

Mein Auto: E92-M3, E90-335
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
The wife makes less, but $300,000 ain't bad, I'll take it.

BJ
Man, she is tight. You couldn't talk her into a 335?
If that's true (big IF), you are the only person in the Unites States that's driving a 4-cylinder BMW with just his wife making that number

Last edited by panerai7; 07-29-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
The wife makes less, but $300,000 ain't bad, I'll take it.

BJ
proof or gtfo.

No one truly believes that.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:18 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by panerai7 View Post
Man, she is tight. You couldn't talk her into a 335?
If that's true (big IF), you are the only person in the Unites States that's driving a 4-cylinder BMW with just his wife making that number
As I've stated a bunch of times, we can afford quite a car if we wanted to but we simply don't spend our money on depreciating assets like that. Stock portfolios, retirement accounts, college funds, real estate, those are our priorities.

Thankfully, the 3 Series gives enough status and enough fun to satisfy me. I never feel the urge to drive something better. Had that a while ago when I was younger, not anymore. Time passes, priorities change.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 07-29-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
proof or gtfo.

No one truly believes that.

You'll just have to trust me on that one. Here's an image from a few years back that might convey a few of the toys I've accumulated. You don't marry for love; you marry for future earnings potential. I'll leave it at that.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 07-29-2012, 02:29 PM
MT4LIFE

Quote:

You'll just have to trust me on that one. Here's an image from a few years back that might convey a few of the toys I've accumulated. You don't marry for love; you marry for future earnings potential. I'll leave it at that.

BJ
Here we go again with the rented base vert and a bunch of outdated jubilee-braceleted non-sport model Rolex.
The only thing I like on that picture is the Sub and the front brick vinyl siding house in the background
Old 07-29-2012, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Here we go again with the rented base vert and a bunch of outdated jubilee-braceleted non-sport model Rolex.
The only thing I like on that picture is the Sub and the front brick vinyl siding house in the background
Panerai I just can't help but LMAO at some people's sense of value.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
brkf, I don't mean to be rude, but were you high when you posted this?!

California bears virtually no resemblance to anywhere else in the world, much less the U.S. (thank God.) $140,000/yr is in almost the top 5% of incomes in the U.S. I would say that qualifies as fairly exclusive territory.
Median income so 50% were below that 140k threshold. Top 20% of the US household incomes are over 100k. That's not rare air when 1 in 5 houses have that distinction. http://blogs.census.gov/2011/09/15/i...s-it-widening/ If you're 1 in 1000 you're rare/exclusive.

Quote:
The fact that people equate owning a BMW 3er as a higher indication of wealth (or whatever) than owning a more expensive GMC Denali is a perfect example of the prestige of the BMW brand. And outside of Cali that is exactly what people think of BMW compared to much more expensive common SUVs.
Outside of this forum who would ever speak of BMW as a prestigious brand or a brand that indicates wealth? Never met such a person. Traveled all over the US, worked on projects throughout this country and the world. BMW is just another car throughout this country (and especially outside the USA where it has no brand cache) but on the forums it's somehow this brand that indicates wealth or importance. Sorry but there are plenty of BMWs sitting in carports leased by customer support reps - I've had some working for me. Vehicles like the Explorer and Grand Cherokee sell over 120k units a year and for average prices over 35k. The Lexus RX, Lexus' volume seller, moved about 90k units last year at an average price over 40k. Is anyone walking around crowing about the RX as a sign of wealth?

Heck according to KBB MB is the brand with the most "prestige" in 2012:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...blue-book.html

We talking quality perception? Not BMW:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2...ands/index.htm

It's great BMW has fans but the big heads related to how owners think others perceive them... well that's just ego. Ego based on no connection to reality.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:

BJ
BJ, that's really sad.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 07-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
But first a word from our sponsor;

"9 out of 10 BMW salesman prefer BMW to Cadillac"

Wait, someone who works for a brand might have a vested interest in perpetuating the idea that their brand is untouchable?!
Old 07-29-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah, we don't live there anymore but it was a hell of a starter home.

BJ

Old 07-29-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
BJ, that's really sad.
It depends on the lifestyle you want to live. To me, it was more important to have complete financial security, fun vacations, cool toys, and future generations of children and grand-children who were set for life than it was to find my dream girl. I think it's rather unselfish, in fact. A noble endeavor.

BJ

Old 07-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Audi-Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Quote:
Enjoy your jetta
Broken record ... the typical viewpoint of a BMW owner who think that they own something special. Join the BJ club.

Retired: 2010 Audi B8 S4 [trade-in], 2008 E92 335i [lemon], 2007 E92 335i [totaled]
Old 07-29-2012, 02:50 PM

lmao. this thread just gets better and better

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_loft View Post
Broken record ... the typical viewpoint of a BMW owner who think that they own something special. Join the BJ club.
I don;t think i own something special, i own a 328...i also know i dont own a jetta with some circles on the front.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:51 PM
MT4LIFE

Quote:
It depends on the lifestyle you want to live. To me, it was more important to have complete financial security, fun vacations, cool toys, and future generations of children and grand-children who were set for life than it was to find my dream girl. I think it's rather unselfish, in fact. A noble endeavor.

BJ
In all seriousness were the looks at all part of the equation? On the percentage basis how much were looks?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_loft View Post
We do own something special.

Look, you decided to leave the BMW family and slum it in an Audi and you should be proud of that. I wish I had the courage to forgo a status symbol for a no-name like you did. Don't come here now and act like this. It destroys everything your hunger strike stands for. Sort of like one of those Occupy Wall Street people being caught eating a $500 steak. You chose your lifestyle, you have your car strictly for it's performance, you made your bed, you lie in it.

BJ

Old 07-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Audi-Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Quote:
lmao. this thread just gets better and better

I don;t think i own something special, i own a 328...i also know i dont own a jetta with some circles on the front.
How are the two similar again, other than the parent company? explain please. You're an enthusiast right or just ignorant?

Retired: 2010 Audi B8 S4 [trade-in], 2008 E92 335i [lemon], 2007 E92 335i [totaled]
Old 07-29-2012, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
Quote:
In all seriousness were the looks at all part of the equation? On the percentage basis how much were looks?
Everybody looks good in a Rolex. I'm sure she's got at least one, right BJ?
Old 07-29-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I was madly in love with a girl who was so hot, it was incredible. You have no idea, she was unbelievable. Absolutely the girl of my dreams. With a little effort I could have sealed the deal and got her, would have been a tremendous accomplishment, a hood ornament to top all hood ornaments. If you saw her in the mid-90's you would just die on the spot, she was that incredible. Spontaneous human combustion existed in the presence of this girl.

However, it was clear that she was no genius and was merely going to be a stay-home type, make some great kids, have me sexually satisfied for life. At the same time, I had a friendship with a girl who was incredibly smart and clearly headed for career greatness. Graduated from a stellar university, was on the fast-track for an executive career, sharp and smart as hell, came from a broken home, had a working mom, knew the importance of financial security, was going to have a career as a priority, was going to be an earner. She was (is) cute, petite, soccer/track star, the type of girl that anyone would want as a wife but not the second-coming of Kate Upton.

So on a very important day in my life in the Spring of 1994 I made a very important decision that leads me to everything I have today. And looking back, I wouldn't do it any differently because she makes me very happy and never having to worry about money is a fantastic way to live life. Turns out that trophy kids are more important than a trophy wife and my kids fit that bill perfectly.

So, the answer to your question, it was 90% future earnings potential and 10% physical appearance.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 07-29-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I was madly in love with a girl who was so hot, it was incredible. You have no idea, she was unbelievable. Absolutely the girl of my dreams. With a little effort I could have sealed the deal and got her, would have been a tremendous accomplishment, a hood ornament to top all hood ornaments. If you saw her in the mid-90's you would just die on the spot, she was that incredible. Spontaneous human combustion existed in the presence of this girl.

However, it was clear that she was no genius and was merely going to be a stay-home type, make some great kids, have me sexually satisfied for life. At the same time, I had a friendship with a girl who was incredibly smart and clearly headed for career greatness. Graduated from a stellar university, was on the fast-track for an executive career, sharp and smart as hell, came from a broken home, had a working mom, knew the importance of financial security, was going to have a career as a priority, was going to be an earner. She was (is) cute, petite, soccer/track star, the type of girl that anyone would want as a wife but not the second-coming of Kate Upton.

So on a very important day in my life in the Spring of 1994 I made a very important decision that leads me to everything I have today. And looking back, I wouldn't do it any differently because she makes me very happy and never having to worry about money is a fantastic way to live life.

So, the answer to your question, it was 90% future earnings potential and 10% physical appearance.

BJ
lmao, nice. sounds like she is in HR
Old 07-29-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsent View Post
Everybody looks good in a Rolex. I'm sure she's got at least one, right BJ?
Second one from the left is hers. Did a his-and-hers matched set for one of our anniversaries.

BJ

Old 07-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Median income so 50% were below that 140k threshold. Top 20% of the US household incomes are over 100k. That's not rare air when 1 in 5 houses have that distinction. http://blogs.census.gov/2011/09/15/i...s-it-widening/ If you're 1 in 1000 you're rare/exclusive.

Outside of this forum who would ever speak of BMW as a prestigious brand or a brand that indicates wealth? Never met such a person. Traveled all over the US, worked on projects throughout this country and the world. BMW is just another car throughout this country (and especially outside the USA where it has no brand cache) but on the forums it's somehow this brand that indicates wealth or importance.

Heck according to KBB MB is the brand with the most "prestige" in 2012:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...blue-book.html

We talking quality perception? Not BMW:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2...ands/index.htm

It's great BMW has fans but the big heads related to how owners think others perceive them... well that's just ego. Ego based on no connection to reality.
Well, I've met plenty of them. The majority of my friends hold a bachelor's degree and a professional job, many hold a master's and a few a doctorate. I am single and so are at least half my friends. I mention that only to say they have no shortage of disposable income. Of all of us I and one other are the only two who own a BMW. One owns a 'vette and another owns a Porsche. The others aren't into cars. Maybe they're just easily impressed.

I never said one word about a car brand indicating the importance of a person and I never would.

For 2011 BMW/Mini/Rolls Royce had 2.4% of the U.S. automotive market share. GM held 19.6%, Ford 16.8%, Toyota/Lexus/Scion 12.9%, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Fiat 10.7%, and Honda/Acura 9%. Mercedes held 2.1% and Volkswagen/Audi/Porsche held 3.7% So, Honda had almost four times the market share of BMW.

Your note that Mercedes is the U.S. brand that holds the highest level of prestige only further contradicts your statement that only cars such as Ferrari, Bentley, etc. are perceived as prestigious.

I made no mention or reference to how people perceive the reliability of BMW or any other make, though it is widely accepted that many makes that are considered prestigious are at the same time considered not particularly reliable.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 07-29-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:20 PM
MT4LIFE

Quote:

So on a very important day in my life in the Spring of 1994 I made a very important decision that leads me to everything I have today. And looking back, I wouldn't do it any differently because she makes me very happy and never having to worry about money is a fantastic way to live life. Turns out that trophy kids are more important than a trophy wife and my kids fit that bill perfectly.

BJ
Thank you for your honesty, that was almost too human of a post for your "online" personality.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Thank you for your honesty, that was almost too human of a post for your "online" personality.
I just hope his wife never wanders on here.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:53 PM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Quote:
This makes me laugh. Just because BJ holds an opinion regarding this BMW as a pure status symbol, he is somehow less human than the empathetic community we supposedly have here? I mean really, he might be full of crap, but on the chance that he is not, he is probably one of the most honest people on this board.

He just doesn't fit into the ideal version of humanity your mom and dad may have taught you about. You know "money doesn't matter" "you are a special snow flake". But I don't know that it makes him less human or honest.
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 07-29-2012, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Hey Panerai7, I am surprised you did not tell BJ, Rolex is so yesterday, and Panerai is so in.