Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 06-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
Don't Get the MTEC Angel Eye LEDs

After a month of using the MTEC Angel Eye LEDs I just can't recommend them to anyone unless you will be satisfied with constant errors. The product itself is well made and provides the best LEDs available today but I consistently get errors.

On my 2012 once an error is detected you can not cycle the lights to try to get them to fire again. The car just cuts power to the bulb and you can't try to correct this until you turn off the ignition and start the car again. So it gets embarrassing when I'm cruising on the turnpike around dusk and the lights kick on automatically and 1 or both angel eyes don't light up. Nothing I can do at that point but pull over and shut the car off and try again.

I contacted MTEC who were no help. Rather than offering suggestions to correct the problem they simply said return the bulbs if you are not happy. So, until they offer a truly error free solution hang on to your money for now.

Jerry

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search!
Ads by Google
Old 06-14-2014, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto:
Don't Get the MTEC Angel Eye LEDs

I installed mine a few weeks ago on my 2010 750li. Have had no problems.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by DocSampson; 06-14-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i X Drive
mine will occasionally fail to fire when I unlock the doors but always fire up when I start the car. I've had mine for close to 9 months and I haven't gotten an error in a few months. When I do, it goes away after a few seconds. Try using the resistor thing that comes with it maybe, but I didn't use it
Old 06-15-2014, 12:23 PM
In Heaven

Mein Auto: 2008 535i-2011 B7 Alpina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF750 View Post
mine will occasionally fail to fire when I unlock the doors but always fire up when I start the car. I've had mine for close to 9 months and I haven't gotten an error in a few months. When I do, it goes away after a few seconds. Try using the resistor thing that comes with it maybe, but I didn't use it

No problems here on my 2011???
I probably gas 3-4 messages for daylight running error but it corrected itself when I started the car...???

Mr. 29,000th...
2011 B7 Alpina- Dinan Stage 1 -573HP/644lb-ft -Wife car...
2008 535i - daily driver with 2014 chevy
2008 335i - lease - returned
2007 750li - retired
2004 545i - retired
1982 320i - retired
Old 06-18-2014, 08:22 AM
7series world

Mein Auto: 2010 750LI
Mine work perfectly. No problems here

Old 06-18-2014, 08:26 AM
7series world

Mein Auto: 2010 750LI
And ive had them for about 4months too. Check ur connection

Old 06-18-2014, 12:40 PM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
no problem here as well

BMW CREE LED ANGEL EYES ALL BMW MODELS MTEC V3 V4 DTEC V6 V7 V8 V9 V10 NO ERROR
BMW ACCESSORIES and PARTS
BMW LED INTERIOR KITS
please PM/Email us for member discount/combo pricing
info@e92-lighting.com "e90post5" for 5% off as the promo code
Old 06-20-2014, 01:28 PM
2009 750i

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
Bought a new 40w LED from eBay for $60. Seller guaranteed no error and so far it's been 3 weeks with no error. It's not as bright as I would like but it's OK. The quality of the bulb and resistors look good.

2009 750i Imperial Blue Metallic, Style 253 Wheels
Old 06-28-2014, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry 745Li View Post
After a month of using the MTEC Angel Eye LEDs I just can't recommend them to anyone unless you will be satisfied with constant errors. The product itself is well made and provides the best LEDs available today but I consistently get errors.

On my 2012 once an error is detected you can not cycle the lights to try to get them to fire again. The car just cuts power to the bulb and you can't try to correct this until you turn off the ignition and start the car again. So it gets embarrassing when I'm cruising on the turnpike around dusk and the lights kick on automatically and 1 or both angel eyes don't light up. Nothing I can do at that point but pull over and shut the car off and try again.

I contacted MTEC who were no help. Rather than offering suggestions to correct the problem they simply said return the bulbs if you are not happy. So, until they offer a truly error free solution hang on to your money for now.

Jerry
Disconnect the resistors and you'll be fine. I have a 2011 and got the mtecs about 10 months ago. They would constantly be cut off after an error message with the resistors on. When you take the resistors off, you still get error messages every now and then but the lights still stay on and after a minute or two the error goes away. After those 10 months of use without resistors however (about 6000 miles driven), one of the LED bulbs burned out and now that light shut off completely. Soooo, in essence the mtecs are now useless, and after contacting the company about options here, I got nothing. I paid $230 for the pair and wouldn't say they were worth the 6000 miles of lifetime. If it is to you, go right ahead.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: ///M7
I had errors on my 2009 7 alsoand had to return the MTECS. I got rid of it eventually and downgraded to a Kia now.

Sent from bighorns' toilet.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: 11' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC
All the LED bulbs on the market for the f01 are junk and a waste of money. There's nothing on the market that will make the pre-LCI AE's look like the LCI AE's.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f01driver View Post
All the LED bulbs on the market for the f01 are junk and a waste of money. There's nothing on the market that will make the pre-LCI AE's look like the LCI AE's.
Agreed. Some like to to shill post how great the MTECS are, but even they still get errors.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeek View Post
I had errors on my 2009 7 alsoand had to return the MTECS. I got rid of it eventually and downgraded to a Kia now.

Sent from bighorns' toilet.
That kia of yours must constantly be throwing gold diggers completely off balance
Old 06-29-2014, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 750Li and M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeek View Post
Agreed. Some like to to shill post how great the MTECS are, but even they still get errors.
Have to disagree Raj, at least for v3 for the 2009. I waited for the new part number to come out specifically for 2009 and I have never had a single error in 6 months.

Brightness is of course subject to personal preference. Agree they do not match the intensity of the OEM upgrade, but they sure beat the hell out of the old yellow eyes.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knipper View Post
Have to disagree Raj, at least for v3 for the 2009. I waited for the new part number to come out specifically for 2009 and I have never had a single error in 6 months.

Brightness is of course subject to personal preference. Agree they do not match the intensity of the OEM upgrade, but they sure beat the hell out of the old yellow eyes.
Good to hear. Hopefully some changes have been made then.