Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 M Roadster
No AM radio?

I recently bought a 2007 m roadster with premium and nav packages. Although the manual shows an AM radio, I've yet to find it. The three choices I see are FM, AUX and CD. Is it common not to have an AM radio in these things? Also, the nav screen doesn't seem to be very bright when the top is down, even with the brightness turned all the way up. Any suggestions?
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2012, 04:08 PM

Seriously? 59 views and nobody knows if m roadsters have an AM radio?
Old 07-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomanne View Post
Seriously? 59 views and nobody knows if m roadsters have an AM radio?
My 2007 ///M Roadster does. I just press the button next to the CD eject button that says "AM FM" to change between AM and FM. Of course, I don't have the nav package.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the reply. I guess since I have navigation they decided I don't need talk radio. I don't have the AM/FM selector switch. Everything is done through the navigation screen. Still seems pretty strange.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:33 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomanne View Post
Thanks for the reply. I guess since I have navigation they decided I don't need talk radio. I don't have the AM/FM selector switch. Everything is done through the navigation screen. Still seems pretty strange.
Ok, I have a 2006 but I don't think that this could have changed. Are you saying that you don't have the AM FM button to the left of the Tone button as indicated by the red arrow? It sounds like you're only pressing the Mode button which will alternate between [FM/AM] or [CD] or [AUX]. Which radio band the Mode button selects is determined by which side of the the AM FM button you've already pressed.

If you don't have the AM FM button, post a picture of your dash.

But it's true, you don't need talk radio. It will rot your mind!
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Last edited by SD Z4MR; 08-02-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:59 PM

Smile

Thank you Tom! Now, can I go crawl in a hole and hide? I was so focused on the picture in the manual showing the AM/FM selection on the NAV screen I totally missed the obvious. I promise to use AM only to listen to sports - no talk radio...
Old 08-01-2012, 06:02 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
Welcome to the Z family.

You car also has blue tooth so pare up you phone.

Regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 08-01-2012, 06:53 PM

Pairing phone

Good suggestion on pairing my phone. I haven't had much luck though. I don't even know where the "pairing" button is located. I made my phone discoverable and the nav display said "searching" then switched to "activate" but then I didn't know what to do. Any suggestions? I've searched online unsuccessfully for straight forward instructions on how to pair my phone. It's an Android HTC Desire.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
If you have a owners manual it's in there how to do it. If not go to the FAQ it's there. You need a pare number. It can be gotten 3 ways. You either have a card with that number on it, if it did not come with documentation then it's on the top of the transformer which is behind the carpet in the trunk on the seat wall or go to a dealer and they will plug in the computer and it's listed in there.

Turn the key to start but not run the engine and have your phone in find and that should get you to 1st base. Enter the 4 digit number and your done.

Regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 08-02-2012, 10:09 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
If you don't have any of the original manuals you can download a PDF copy from the BMW USA website: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...modelcode=0730.

The Owner's Manual shown there is actually the Z4 M Supplementary Manual. You also have to download the Z4 Owner's Manual. Unfortunately, instructions for pairing your phone will not be found in either of the Owner's Manuals. There were two additional manuals that came with my car that deal only with the phone. I haven't been able to find these online.

Unless you have the 4-digit PK passkey for your car, all attempts to pair will be futile. The number for your car is unique and it doesn't use anything common like '0000' or '1234'.

I just did this for my car, which I bought two weeks ago. In the stack of manuals in the leather slipcase I found a laminated card with various phone-related info on it in about a dozen languages. One of the lines was "PK" followed by a four-digit number. This is the number you need to pair with the car.

From what I remember, first make sure Bluetooth is turned on on your phone and then press "Search for devices" or something similar to turn on pairing mode. Press the button with the phone on it on your dash and it should says something like "Activate Phone". Your phone should have found the car and show "BMWxxxxx" with the last five digits of your VIN. The navigation screen should prompt you to enter your PK number.

I'd go out to the car and double-check these instructions, but this is the day that my wife decided she wanted to drive the car to work to show it off!
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 08-02-2012, 04:10 PM

Pairing phone

Thanks for the help! My car came with a full set of manuals, except for the phone manual. Can't find the BT code in any of the other manuals or leather binder. I'm going to go to my local mechanic and get a bunch of programming done (DRL, lane changer, etc). He may be able to find the code when he's hooked up. If not, I'll tear into the trunk carpet and find the number on the BT module.

Although I don't have the code I went ahead and had my cell phone search for devices. It found my car and then asked if I wanted to pair. It appears all I will need to do is punch in the 4-digit number on my cell phone. I'll report back after I get the code and try it. Could be a while. Leaving for vacation tomorrow. Will see what happens after I return.