Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 07-29-2012, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 03 745li and some more ca
engine knocking (video)

I purchased a 2010 750li from bankruptcy auction for a very good deal, it cannot be warrantied due to title type. It is making an engine knocking noise and I took it to an Indy, he never did take a look at it or run any tests and just concluded it was smoking, knocking and had some sludge so the engine is damaged. I have taken it to a different Indy and awaiting a response on them. But I have decided to make a video and get some opinions. I know the turbos and injectors in these go out a lot so i am not sure if it has anything to do with that. I had someone else that knows a lot about BMWs listen to the sound and he says it sounds like the injectors could be the issue. Any help will be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_iGKsiUIoWg

Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 07-29-2012, 11:03 PM
BMW rocks!

Mein Auto: 2013 750I M
Man, that sounds bad! Did you check the gas? Maybe it has been sitting too long or last person fill it up with crappy 87?
Old 07-30-2012, 04:12 AM

Mein Auto: 750LI 2009
take it to a mechanic, do nt let us bozos have a guess.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750XLi-Sport & X5
Sounds like a stuck valve.
Hope you got that car really, really cheap.
Because it's about to get really expensive.
Unfortunately, this may be where you learn the lesson that if it seems to good to be true, it is.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:04 PM

will a bent rod cause such noise? it is coming from the top part of the engine. i took it to another indy and they said they cannot find out exactly what the issue could be unless they tear down the engine, it could be that the block is messed up or a rod is bent? they were just throwing out different suggestions but told me it will be a minimum of $10k to tear down the engine to even find out the issue as they have to buy a part from BMW to put it back together which costs about $1000. any other ideas will help

Last edited by okegs4ever; 08-02-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Local Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E65,P71 Police Intercept.
If you are very lucky it would be nothing more than a bad alternator bearing which is common in aging BMWs. Good luck.

. 360infiniteusa Angel Eyes . H&R Springs . mObridge AUX Integration .
Old 08-02-2012, 10:52 PM

It's not really a "knock", but a "tapping".
Sounds like a cylinder slamming against a stuck valve.
Would come from top of engine, and probably damaged cylinder.
Agree with tech. We can speculate all day long, but the only way to diagnose the problem is to open the engine up.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGSM View Post
It's not really a "knock", but a "tapping".
Sounds like a cylinder slamming against a stuck valve.
Would come from top of engine, and probably damaged cylinder.
Agree with tech. We can speculate all day long, but the only way to diagnose the problem is to open the engine up.
will this require the engine to be changed or is it something that could be fixed? is this extensive work to fix? i am just trying to weigh my options.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:57 AM

Depends on extent of damage, but it should be fixable.
Unfortunately, just labor intensive.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
What faults does the computer give? It sounded/looked like it still idles fairly smooth...yes? Can you tell what part of the engine it is coming from? (ex. - driver's side head at front of head)

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...

Last edited by Keif; 08-03-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:33 AM

the shop said it gives out a whole bunch of codes, they did not tell me. i will go pick up the car tomorrow so i will ask them for the codes. the noise comes from the passenger side front underneath the silver part of the engine cover, towards the front of the engine. it idles very fairly and cuts off sometimes
Old 08-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Master Tinkerer

Try asking them to tell you the current codes while it's running, or to clear it out and see what comes back. If they have a feeling it's a problem in the VANOS system (bad solenoid, bad VANOS adjuster, etc.) or with something along the timing chain, it might be helpful for them to turn the engine by hand to see at what point / how often / IF it makes the sound (there are some things you can derive based on that sound/frequency, such as a broken timing chain guide or bad VANOS adjuster).

Since you are looking to keep from digging in the engine if possible, it's a process of elimination game, and hopefully the fault codes will help narrow things down. If it runs fairly smooth, I'd imagine that would likely eliminate a broken intermediate lever pretty well. Has someone for sure eliminated everything along the belts (alternator, power steering pump, etc.)? These may seem like stupid questions, but better to ask them and eliminate items completely than leave any lingering possibility.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 08-03-2012, 10:32 AM

I will show the techs all this info when i go in there tomorrow to see what they think about your suggestions
Old 08-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Local Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E65,P71 Police Intercept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okegs4ever View Post
I will show the techs all this info when i go in there tomorrow to see what they think about your suggestions

. 360infiniteusa Angel Eyes . H&R Springs . mObridge AUX Integration .
Old 08-10-2012, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: Many things
That sounds like a definite rod knock...hopefully not, good luck!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Master Tinkerer

Any luck?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7

Old 08-29-2012, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750li, Mercedes SL600
Still am not sure why you aren't bringing the car to BMW? The answers the Indy's are giving you sound less than impressive to me and more like people trying to rip you off...

The car has less than 50K miles on it after all. Not sure what type of title related to bankruptcy would remove the warranty from the car?

Just bring it to BMW and have them assess the issue and then try to work with them to get at least a partial deal. When dealing with issues on our Mercedes, we got them to cover repairs even when out of warranty. If not 100%, at least a partial (like the parts and a even a certain percentage of labor).

Good luck
Old 08-29-2012, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: A Car
I'm by no means expert but to be honest that thing sounds really really bad . . .
Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: 11' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Still am not sure why you aren't bringing the car to BMW? The answers the Indy's are giving you sound less than impressive to me and more like people trying to rip you off...

+1.

A BMW dealership will tell you right away what the issue is and how much it'll cost, at least this way you'll know the exact problem and than shop around and see who can fix it for a responsible price.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW745I E65 ,BMW318 IS 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by f01driver View Post
+1.

A BMW dealership will tell you right away what the issue is and how much it'll cost, at least this way you'll know the exact problem and than shop around and see who can fix it for a responsible price.
Dealer rather change parts then fix the actual problem,not all of them but most do