Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-29-2012, 03:27 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Data your car computer store in memory

Hey, I'm a little behind time with the electronics that makes my life more difficult when I am driving a new car. I was at the dealer the other day, and I know the key fob does some amazing things, all of which I don't car for. Nevertheless, I realize that entering and starting the car can be done without touching the key fob in your pocket. OK, all is well. The the GM further explain to me that the service guys can read bunch of information from the way you drive by holding the fob near the "key slot" near the steering wheel. Forgive me now, immediately I was thinking with modern technology, that computer can keep a lot of information about the way you drive, RPM, speed, shift, clutch, stop, go, parked, all data with a time stamped And all those information can eventually use against you in a court of law, which can should how careless and impatient driver you are. Am I being overly concern that the information that is kept in the car's computer is limited? I mean service can tell whether you redlined the engine during break in. What data is kept in the computer? Unfortunately, the GM could not get a hold of the super service tech who may know the answer.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 07-29-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2012, 04:45 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Yes and it knows that you went to the Gold Club and how long you were there

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 07-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Hey, I'm a little behind time with the electronics that makes my life more difficult when I am driving a new car. I was at the dealer the other day, and I know the key fob does some amazing things, all of which I don't car for. Nevertheless, I realize that entering and starting the car can be done without touching the key fob in your pocket. OK, all is well. The the GM further explain to me that the service guys can read bunch of information from the way you drive by holding the fob near the "key slot" near the steering wheel. Forgive me now, immediately I was thinking with modern technology, that computer can keep a lot of information about the way you drive, RPM, speed, shift, clutch, stop, go, parked, all data with a time stamped And all those information can eventually use against you in a court of law, which can should how careless and impatient driver you are. Am I being overly concern that the information that is kept in the car's computer is limited? I mean service can tell whether you redlined the engine during break in. What data is kept in the computer? Unfortunately, the GM could not get a hold of the super service tech who may know the answer.
Allegedly, BMW is one of the few to NOT HAVE EDRs (event data recorders) in their cars...a record of your driving dynamics just before a crash. Your key fob certainly holds a LOT of other information. According to your profile on BMW NA's site...and other leaks, I note that you've changed your bikini lately. Cool. Big brother is alway watching.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 07-30-2012, 02:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Am I being overly concern that the information that is kept in the car's computer is limited? I mean service can tell whether you redlined the engine during break in. What data is kept in the computer?.
It's not what's kept in memory, it's what is transmitted through BMW SOS + smartphones, particularly those w/wireless Internet access. By offloading a shockingly detailed profile of time/date stamped data from all BMW sensors, including audio of all inside the car and data re: electronic devices not connected but within detection range of the car, BMW builds a database of defining clarity on everyone and everything near and in the vehicle.

Because you repeatedly drive your car, BMW's data is much more focused and extensive than Google's, especially so as your data continually builds over time, quickly becoming statistically high in reliability.

America's love affair with the automobile has led to a totality of knowledge that subjugates every unprepared driver to any possessing their data.

Who could that be? An 800 lb gorilla with very deep pockets, of course. An organization with money and power, an organization such as Government.

What can be done, you must ask. I can reveal that an international network of hackers broke BMW's encryption early on, and has ID'd all types of info encoded. Measures have been developed to 'sanitize' transmitted data and prevent transfer of any the driver wishes withheld.

But it's War, and unauthorized data collection is a moving target changing with every ECU update, every dealer visit and lately, covert wireless reprogramming through vehicle emergency comm channels.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 07-30-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:51 AM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Quote:

Old 07-30-2012, 07:09 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
It's not what's kept in memory, it's what is transmitted through BMW SOS + smartphones, particularly those w/wireless Internet access. By offloading a shockingly detailed profile of time/date stamped data from all BMW sensors, including audio of all inside the car and data re: electronic devices not connected but within detection range of the car, BMW builds a database of defining clarity on everyone and everything near and in the vehicle.

Because you repeatedly drive your car, BMW's data is much more focused and extensive than Google's, especially so as your data continually builds over time, quickly becoming statistically high in reliability.

America's love affair with the automobile has led to a totality of knowledge that subjugates every unprepared driver to any possessing their data.

Who could that be? An 800 lb gorilla with very deep pockets, of course. An organization with money and power, an organization such as Government.

What can be done, you must ask. I can reveal that an international network of hackers broke BMW's encryption early on, and has ID'd all types of info encoded. Measures have been developed to 'sanitize' transmitted data and prevent transfer of any the driver wishes withheld.

But it's War, and unauthorized data collection is a moving target changing with every ECU update, every dealer visit and lately, covert wireless reprogramming through vehicle emergency comm channels.

You are right, everything and more! The only recourse is to prevent the evidence from being collected AFTER the warranty has run out. Now, you hope that none of the information collected is ever used against you. If you are really discussed, forgo the warranty by destroying the data collector when you take ownership of the car. When the GM was telling me that a tech can hold your key fob near the steering wheel he can collect all the information he needs to diagnostic the problem with your car. Wow, I was thinking holy ****, this is way beyond 1984.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 07-30-2012 at 07:16 AM.