Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-29-2015, 08:57 AM
X3 SAVant

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0i
Cracked spare carrier: easy to remove?

Hello, my x3 was in a small accident that cracked the spare carrier. I was searching for one to replace it but at 170, I would rather throw the spare in the back on long trips. Im going on a trip soon and i wanted to remove the carrier completely or at least try to repair the crack with flat iron. but i can't get it off.. any ideas?? its sagging below the bumper and can be seen from the back.

should I try to fix it or just remove it completely??? I only need the spare for long trips, I a full set of wheels in my garage as of now. (finally got my style 69's mounted with correct size tires)

has anyone tired to remove it? its about 9 major parts total.. but i dont want a hole in my trunk if I have to take everything off...

Last edited by klb426; 01-29-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2015, 10:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by klb426 View Post
.... try to repair the crack with flat iron. but i can't get it off.. any ideas??
has anyone tired to remove it? its about 9 major parts total.. but i dont want a hole in my trunk if I have to take everything off...
Don't know about 9 parts in total.

There are three bolts at the back that you need to get off, and then unhook the lowering mechanism.

You then have to wiggle it free at an angle to clear any other things.

I would think a repair using fiberglass would be best.

If you leave it off, you will just have to deal with the small hole for the lowering mechanism.

Here's part of my DIY for removing the carrier to do a rear diff fluid flush and fill:

- lower spare tire carrier carefully using instructions in Owners Handbook
- remove spare tire
- take out the three 13mm. bolts securing the carrier and unhook metal bar of lowering mechanism
- pull the carrier free by moving it left and right as it clears the sway bar and any other obstructions
Old 01-29-2015, 10:10 AM
X3 SAVant

Thanks!.. i will give it a try. I have never used fiber glass before, but once I get it all apart I will see if can be repaired.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Picture of carrier removed showing the holes for the three 13mm bolts are (middle of picture)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carrier.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	489468  
Old 01-29-2015, 01:03 PM
Freshly Addicted

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
If it's ABS plastic you can easily repair it with some sheet ABS and glue.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:26 AM
X3 SAVant

so I crawled under the car yesterday to have another look. the crack is more at an angle (not dissecting the carrier as I previously assumed) and only goes about 7 to 10 inches.. Initially I thought that the crack was causing the sag but it doesn't appear that way. the tire carrier is in the closed position, with the locking nut secured but the carrier can be seen from the back (about an inch of it is visible) Im now suspecting that the main brace is warped or bowed but the carrier is still functional as it locks in place as expected.

Im still a newbie here (not in time but in posts/replies) so I dont know how to posts pics but this weekend before the snow I will jack up the rear and get out the "universal adjuster" and see it it helps the sag
Old 01-30-2015, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
good image files and part nos

about 165 bucks for new....some good close up pics of fastener positions etc....they are very easy to get out and can be reinforced riveted etc ....also drill a 1/4 hole at cracks end to help stop it spreading

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES128396/
51713428665 - Space Saver Tire cup - ES#128396