Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: E66
WinKFP EGS Update failed - transmission inoperable.

Hello everyone,

I need some urgent help after WinKFP failed after trying to update the EGS module.

Errors:

2089 - Switching programming mode failed. Security access denied.

2083 - Prepare flash download failed.

I have already tried fast baud rate and unchecking "test checksum".

P R N D are no longer displayed, the arrows are flashing and the transmission won't go into gear.

INPANeays the module is okay but no longer gives its part number.

Whatever little or big contribution you can make, it will be greatly appreciated.

WinKFP mentions a ZIF backup. Would I be able to restore the module's old software?

Please help! Thank you.

Last edited by AvoidStealerhip; 10-02-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2016, 01:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328d
Same problem here - but he got it sorted.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...474&highlight=
Old 10-02-2016, 01:33 PM

Thank you. I do not have Progman unfortunately.

I noticed I needed GKE191 but there is no GKE191 program, there is only 19GKE192.PRG, nothing else.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:36 PM

I do not lnow how to configure and use Progman. Why is it that most have been able to update their transmission software, and I got the security access denied error? The first time it took it at least 20 minutes to get to 100% only to fail. Now every retry gives me the "times left: 62" message and then fails because of the above errors.

Also, my wipers came on and stayed on during the first and longest programming attempt.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:39 PM

Whoever's solution works will have $100 USD sent to them through PayPal. You will have to take my word for it I am not close to home and I am not looking forward to possibly having to get this car towed.

Edit: fixed it myself.

Last edited by AvoidStealerhip; 10-02-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:05 PM

Just to add to it. I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes and it did nothing. The fans come on full whenever I turn the car on, but no transmission.

Everything else works, it's the EGS module that is corrupted.

How can I use tool32 to reset it?
Old 10-02-2016, 02:50 PM

No one else has any idea what else I can try? Nothing whatsoever?
Old 10-02-2016, 03:16 PM

It's back up with the EGS updated but tranny in fail safe mode - P, R, N D3 and D5 message popping up.

Edit: fixed.

Last edited by AvoidStealerhip; 10-03-2016 at 03:51 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:17 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
You can use WinKFP again. Also, are you using an external power supply, the longer you keep trying the worse it will get without supply since these cars are fickle for voltage.

So when you go to update the module in WinKFP, you always get a security error? I assume key is in second ignition/accessory too - I can respond a little later on with something more in depth since I'm away from my equipment at the moment!
Old 10-11-2016, 08:19 AM

Thank you, I will give it another try when I have the time, most likely this weekend and I will try to get an actual power supply or charge the battery overnight. Key was in second ignition/accessory the whole time.

Yes, kept getting security error AFTER the first flash attempt which took 25-30 minutes and made the windshield wipers come on and stay on almost the entire time. Hooked up battery charger (not power supply) to the car and after a setting change it eventually let me update the module but the transmission went into limp-home mode. I was able to restore to the old assembly number and that fixed it, however I still have the harsh downshift that I was trying to fix with the update. It's back to how it was prior to the update attempt but now it sometimes has two jolts when downshifting 2-1 instead of the one jolt that it used to have, although it seems to be going away as the transmission relearns/adapts.

Brand new giubo/guibo and battery so the software update is my last option before simply giving up.

If you could please confirm the WinKFP settings, that would also help. If I remember correctly, changing either both or one of the bottom settings to "0" (zero) helped it eventually go through with the update. I don't think it was just a coincidence as there were numerous attempts and playing with those settings finally made it work (to revert back to the previous assembly number, that is). I haven't tried updating it again since.

Last edited by AvoidStealerhip; 10-11-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:21 PM

I redid it, updated the EGS to the latest assembly number (7589405) and it was successful on the first try (it took only 3-4 minutes), however the transmission is now once again in fail-safe mode.

How is everyone able to update their transmission software without causing the transmission to go into fail-safe mode once the update is complete?

Last edited by AvoidStealerhip; 10-16-2016 at 12:32 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search