Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:50 AM

Mein Auto: 750li
Post-Op report - $5,185

Valve stem seals $2700 + spark plug tubes
Alternator seal (9hrs total, 3 overlap)
Brake vacuum pump (no extra labor)

Got raped on the spark plugs - WTF? Told him while you're in there, may as well.

They used a valve stem seal tool, but after multiple attempts to get them to tell me which one, they dodged the question. Maybe they didn't want to bad mouth - that's my take. They did say that they way underestimated the job, I was their first run at the "tool", and it did not work "as advertised". They also said that next time they'll just do an engine pull, as it would have been faster. I'm thinking it was something else besides the AGA tool.

They had the car for a week, and had to take the intake off to be able to get enough room to use the tool. Of course charged me for the gaskets, but whatever. No extra labor cost.

Last edited by Romey-Rome; 11-03-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2014, 03:16 AM

Mein Auto: 745li
Wow you know after seeing this it's really makes me add a new definition to insanity honestly. I think we all crazy. I can understand the others forums that have Maybe a 09 newer 7 maybe but let one of us wreck our car and damages exceed 4500 dollars the car is considered totaled. I think in repairs we should apply that same prinicple. And bad problem is there is always something else on the going wrong next list. Definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Yeap fits the bill..
Old 11-03-2014, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayautomotive View Post
Wow you know after seeing this it's really makes me add a new definition to insanity honestly. I think we all crazy. I can understand the others forums that have Maybe a 09 newer 7 maybe but let one of us wreck our car and damages exceed 4500 dollars the car is considered totaled. I think in repairs we should apply that same prinicple. And bad problem is there is always something else on the going wrong next list. Definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Yeap fits the bill..
According to my insurance, when I asked not too long ago, I would get local going rate for my '06 if it got totaled. That's a good stretch from $4500. However, if it's not your fault, it's always better to file your own claim with the @ fault party's insurance.

I **** my pants when I got $8500~ for my '06 Kia Spectra (that I completely neglected) a year ago. They showed me local ads, and how much it was going for, etc. for which they used to determine the value. 2006 750li still goes for $16-20k around here.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:52 AM

What's normally considered total if damages exceeds 25% of the value of the vehicle which at today's repair rates that's pretty easy to accomplish too but at the same time is also at insurance company choice to total even if it does exceed 25% but just because your car valued at 20k dont mean they will spend 10k to fix it. 6500 maybe if u lucky. Anything past that u might be getting a check in the mail for 18k because even your 06 whatever they told u they probably shooting u the **** but I can't say because cost of cars vary from state to state. I just had a customer loose his 07 Mercedes slk550 amg and got 18,000 after the insurance company adjust had to go back call black book to get a better adjustment rate but can't say miles play a factor there too. But I seen a 05 bmw last week being I own a body shop the hood flew open due to the latch cable being jammed or whatever happen and was totaled. Bust windshield killed hood and front of roof some. But overall I own a 04 745li and even with mine I'm debating selling it ever day. I lucky do all my work and so I don't have to worry those 5000 bills. So go get in your 06 drive really fast and run into a brick wall and do about 5 k in damages to it and let me know. What happens
Old 11-03-2014, 04:55 AM

Also asking prices ain't what's it's worth I still see people selling 93 Honda accords for 2-4k don't mean they worth that and still car worth 8500 but damages exceed 25% of the value.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:01 AM

I'll take 17/18k & be happy. I don't really care if they fix it or buy it. Not sure what the contention is?