Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW e66 740 2006
2006 740li E66 - problem in the power module

hi there
after loooooong searching i think there is a problem in the power module ( 2006 740 li e66) there was battery drainage , seat control not working , comfort accesses out of service , car not reaching sleep mode ,and other crazy thing the car doing massage error ( power module failure )tested at a workshop with icom the whole cluster under CAS is red and not responding , tried changing the battery and registering it but nothing changed ( i think even they couldn't register the new battery because the power module is not responding) and they suggested to change both left and right front doors locks as they think its the reason for the drainage .
the massage ( power module Failure means there is no signal from the module ) so its not communicating with the car network ( K-CAN-P).
so is it a power module issue or something else and how i can test this power module
Thanks
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest. I moved your question to our 7 Series forum, you'll get more help in here. Have you had the alternator tested?

Tim
Old 12-05-2016, 09:50 PM

Thanks dear , actually according to the system voltage while the engine is on the alternator is fine (around 14 V ).
Old 12-05-2016, 10:46 PM

the picture attached shows the issue with the modules related to the power module .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1358.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	583623  
Old 12-10-2016, 10:59 PM

Hi every one .
this gion abe long story
thanks God its solved without any extra payment other than the battery that i already changed and it happened in a strange way .
I went to the yard to get used P module , the good thing you ask for the part they try it if problem solved you buy it if not the take it back and you bay nothing , we tried a similar module removed from 2005 car ( just removed the wire sockets from the original and connect it to the original one still in place) nothing changed seat not working , module failure msg is there ... etc
the guy who install it told us to go to another guy near him who got parts and workshop at the same time so computer test may help , i did so , i told him the story after some talk he agreed to put another module from same car as mine , and no improvement disconnect battery and reconnect it no improvement he connect the diagnosis tool erased the errors , no improvement , told him try to register the battery he told me my car needs no registration for battery , but still he tried once twice then it happen and the car picked up the data that new battery installed at the current millage still nothing improved , we removed the module we tried and put te connectors back on the original one , same problem , the guy start doubting the the main computer is the problem any way i went back to the previous guy give him the module collected my money and went home which is around one hour driving and i disconnected the battery so it will not be drained ( i am doing this every day )
after 2 o 3 hours , i went out connected the car battery drive the car here and here then stopped at the mall wen i stopped the car i noticed it responded will to the remote ( like all locks went down . light turn off indicators flashed ) after couple of hours went back to the car also it responded will, no error msg when i put the gear to R the right mirror tilted down which some thing stopped happening when the problem started , i stopped , tried the chair control , its working , checked the trunk lock , its working , and every thing is working will, stopped the car closed it things were ok , i didnt disconnect the battery , after some time i went out without the remote check the car the seat control and ignition lights are off so i thought going into sleep mode is going on , this morning , getting ready to go to work hoping to go out and start the car without problems , and yessssssss i
sorry for long story again
Any theories ????
Old 12-12-2016, 12:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750i
2006 740li E66 - problem in the power module

Very simple:
One of your modules is killing the network k-can. In my case it was seat module (under the seat).
Disconnect both and see if it went to sleep, if not disconnect all modules in the line.
Your diagnostic guys have no idea how things work. Without proper signal power module won't work, but it doesn't mean pm is bad.

Last edited by Motronic; 12-12-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motronic View Post
Very simple:
One of your modules is killing the network k-can. In my case it was seat module (under the seat).
Disconnect both and see if it went to sleep, if not disconnect all modules in the line.
Your diagnostic guys have no idea how things work. Without proper signal power module won't work, but it doesn't mean pm is bad.
totally agree with you , actually iam at KSA and unfortunately most of work shop here knows nothing about programming and coding they just connect the diagnostic tool and erase the errors and i do postpone fixing many things in my car until i go on vacation to Jordan where i can find professional ppl.
what i think it was like closed cycle, bad battery caused module failure and CAN poor communication and the failed module couldn't recognize or accept the new battery so when they try another module and by chance the registration of the battery worked and communicated with the car network , and then every thing was fixed without changing any module or testing all modules.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmacistooo View Post
totally agree with you , actually iam at KSA and unfortunately most of work shop here knows nothing about programming and coding they just connect the diagnostic tool and erase the errors and i do postpone fixing many things in my car until i go on vacation to Jordan where i can find professional ppl.

what i think it was like closed cycle, bad battery caused module failure and CAN poor communication and the failed module couldn't recognize or accept the new battery so when they try another module and by chance the registration of the battery worked and communicated with the car network , and then every thing was fixed without changing any module or testing all modules.

Has nothing to do with battery, you can clearly see on your ista pics, that k-can bus failed. Disconnect both seat modules. Very common issue.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
I am having some random can bus problems on my 750.0 The problems started after rebuilding the valve body in the tranny, but it shifts perfect. I had some EGS ECU recognition, then I lost almost everything in the can bus. I cleared all of the faults, it it might work for a week. I decided to install a new battery due to having to charge the battery around every 2 weeks. I think that it was a cheap made battery from O'Reilly's, since I have gone thru 3 in the last 2 years. I have been getting a crack in the radio system for 2 years. It will crack, then come back on. Since this has been happening, I also lost the small screen on the IDrive. The gear symbol will now pop up on the tranny, & sometimes gives me a problem trying to start the car. I don't know if any of this is related to the can bus, but it is time for me to find the problem. The main faults that keep coming back are the EGS & SGM modules. The EGS module seems to be ok if the car is running, but I am not sure if it should communicate when the car is not running?

How does unplugging the seat modules help the problem, I don't understand this. I am just trying to get a handle on where to start. A lot of the modules seem to be related to the IVM, but all of the fuses look ok. I have not checked all of the relays & fuses, so I don't know if there is a problem inside the IVM. The car cranks all of the time, it might take several attempts to get it cranked.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-30-2017, 12:35 AM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
I am having some random can bus problems on my 750.0 The problems started after rebuilding the valve body in the tranny, but it shifts perfect. I had some EGS ECU recognition, then I lost almost everything in the can bus. I cleared all of the faults, it it might work for a week. I decided to install a new battery due to having to charge the battery around every 2 weeks. I think that it was a cheap made battery from O'Reilly's, since I have gone thru 3 in the last 2 years. I have been getting a crack in the radio system for 2 years. It will crack, then come back on. Since this has been happening, I also lost the small screen on the IDrive. The gear symbol will now pop up on the tranny, & sometimes gives me a problem trying to start the car. I don't know if any of this is related to the can bus, but it is time for me to find the problem. The main faults that keep coming back are the EGS & SGM modules. The EGS module seems to be ok if the car is running, but I am not sure if it should communicate when the car is not running?

How does unplugging the seat modules help the problem, I don't understand this. I am just trying to get a handle on where to start. A lot of the modules seem to be related to the IVM, but all of the fuses look ok. I have not checked all of the relays & fuses, so I don't know if there is a problem inside the IVM. The car cranks all of the time, it might take several attempts to get it cranked.

was the new battery registered when installed in the car ???
Old 03-30-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:

How?
Read how to find CAN network faults. Disconnecting faulty module will eliminate can bus failure. This is the only way to test it, also good idea to check if can low or high aren't shorted to the ground and oscilloscope testing will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 03-30-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
was the new battery registered when installed in the car ???

I did that last night, to soon to tell if it will help? I did read that that could cause a fault due to the change in the voltage. I am stilling leaning towards a possibility of some contamination in the Mechatronic plug while installing the seal. The area is tight & hard to access. I will have to try & use my boroscope to see if a pin got pushed by or shorted. The tranny shifts like new, but I was getting random faults before I decided to go ahead & the battery. All of this started 2 weeks after installing a ZipKit in the valve body. I know it is possible to zap the electronics, but I don't see that as the possible problem?

There are a lot of modules in the can bus to disconnect, searching for the problem. I just want to gather what I need before proceeding that far.

Just trying to get started in the right direction!
Old 03-31-2017, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
IVM can look good and still be faulty. Case at point: My BMW, every blue moon, would not crank when engaging the "push start" button. Explained my problem to my trusted friend/BMW Tech. He laughed and said change the IVM box. Sure enough, that was the problem. I kept the old box. All the fuses are good and the box looks perfectly fine but the box is faulty.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 04-01-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearview2017 View Post
IVM can look good and still be faulty. Case at point: My BMW, every blue moon, would not crank when engaging the "push start" button. Explained my problem to my trusted friend/BMW Tech. He laughed and said change the IVM box. Sure enough, that was the problem. I kept the old box. All the fuses are good and the box looks perfectly fine but the box is faulty.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Bimmerfest mobile app
The IVM is a good possibility, but mine always cranks. I have not gotten any faults directly from it. I drove the car a couple of hours after registering the battery & all is good at this time. I will have time this coming week to sit down & start disconnecting some modules.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
The IVM is a good possibility, but mine always cranks. I have not gotten any faults directly from it. I drove the car a couple of hours after registering the battery & all is good at this time. I will have time this coming week to sit down & start disconnecting some modules.

Yep ivm dummy device with bunch of relays causing digital CAN network faults IVM symptoms are totally different and do not affect KCAN network by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 04-06-2017, 09:18 PM

[QUOTE=Motronic;10103428]Yep ivm dummy device with bunch of relays causing digital CAN network faults IVM symptoms are totally different and do not affect KCAN network by any means.]

Not sure what you are saying. The modules starting shut down again, so the registering did not do the trick. On a 2007 is there supposed to be a lolly pop clipped on the glove box? My small IDrive screen will not display anything any more. Is this part of the most bus, or a patch someone else installed before I got the car? The weather has been very bad this week, so I have not had a chance to do any testing!
Old 04-07-2017, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Ok, understood.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Bimmerfest mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search