Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 E66
2006 Slip ring failure? Assistance requested.

Hi everyone, first time poster here!

I recently purchased a 2006 750 Li and I think I have the passenger seat sensor mat issue, in addition 2 days ago my drivers airbag warning came on, then yesterday my buttons on steering wheel died, seems to be only those that are physically on the steering wheel, radio volume, voice command etc. Wipers, turn signal are not affected. Is this symptomatic of a slip ring failure? I'm waiting for my INPA software and cable to come so at this point in time I'm kind of blind. The horn is also inoperable. If this is the clock spring/slip ring is there tutorial anywhere on how to replace this? If I can I'd really like to take care of this myself, my local dealership is nothing short of awful.

Thanks everyone!
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 745i sport
Yes, it sounds like it may be your SZL(steering column switch cluster). You will need to code it after replacement and calibrate the steering angle sensor
Old 10-03-2014, 07:20 PM

I noticed on my way to work tonight that briefly for about 30 seconds I had controls back and then they went again. Do I need to replace just the slip ring or the whole cluster? I'm new to the E66 so I really don't have to much of an idea what's required to fix this issue.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2014, 07:56 PM

The SZL assembly, you switch the 4 stalks, column switch, and slip ring to the new unit. The trickiest part of the job is getting the airbag off on the series suspension car(rectangular airbag), the sport airbag(triangular) is easier. I would find a visual breakdown of removal, me describing it in words will sound confusing, but I'll try.

The best tool Ive found for the series airbag is a flatblade screw driver(such as the one in the vehicle tool kit) with the blade ground half down(to create a notch). Then position yourself under the steering wheel and gaze up into the two access holes. You should see what looks like a thin metal shaft. Use the notched screw driver to push on one of the shafts while tugging on that side of the airbag with your hand. When that side pops loose, do the same on the other side. Disconnect the airbag connector in the center and the other connectors.
Remove the center bolt to remove the steering wheel. Shift the steering column out and down. Pop the trim panel below/in front of the instrument cluster(one with the thin wood strip)up slightly to improve access. Remove the two screw access covers off the top column cover. Remove the two Phillips plastic rivets. Remove the Phillips plastic rivet on the bottom cover. The front end cover will just pop off towards you. Then the upper and lower column covers will snap free. The SZL is held to the column by 4 or 5 T25 screws. Pull it slight forward to undue the connectors in the rear and the three pronged plastic frame that snaps in the back. You will have to transfer the 4 stalks(T10 screws), the steering column adjustment/steering heater switch and slip ring
Reassemble, code the SZL to the vehicle, and calibrate the steering angle sensor.

Last edited by meangreen94z; 10-03-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:03 PM

Of course first read out faults and let me know what's stored. There should be steering column switch cluster communication faults stored in the SGM as well as other satellite airbag control units.. Usually when the SZl goes out completely: you get an airbag light, the gear selector requests multiple input attempts, and only the wipers and turn signal stalks function otherwise.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:59 PM

I'm waiting for the INPA software and cable and hopefully I'll have that at some point next week, I have the air bag light and so far the only issue is the buttons on the wheel, all the stalks are still operative. Is this actually fixable or a new SZL required? If I need to get the codes pulled off first I can wait until then, I'll take whatever action is recommended after the codes are available. I appreciate the time you are putting in to answer my questions.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:02 PM

I have the faults downloaded and are as follows. Please let me know if the links don't work.http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/...ps13e9d6b9.jpg