Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750 li
ASK/ Logic7/CD Player/CD changer problems in 750LI

When I first got my car last year the only sound my radio would make is muffling from the sub underneath the passengers seat. Research led me to believe that both my ASK unit and Logic7 amp were broken.

Finally I've gotten around to working on it now, so the other day I went and got another ASK unit from a junk yard and I also picked up a fiber optic bypass loop from the BMW dealership.

The first thing I did before messing with the ASK unit was disconnect the Logic7 Amp and bypass it with the loop. As soon as I did that, my navigation was fully functional, I was able to scan through AM/FM radio stations, connect my phone and use it etc. I have never been able to do any of these things before so its obvious that my amp needs replacing unfortunately.

But, still no sound from the front speakers. So I go ahead and swap out the ASK unit for the one I got at the junk yard. Still nothing. Could it be that I have 2 defective ASK units now? Possibly I guess, but the junk yard offers a 30 day warranty where they will either refund me in full or find me a functional ASK unit.

But here's the thing, all of a sudden now BOTH ASK units will accept a CD for about 5-10 seconds, show a list of the tracks on the CD and then spit it right out (these are real CDs not burned ones). Also, when I pop in the 6 disc CD changer, the flap will not close unless I do a MOST bus reset by removing the fiber optic connection in the glove box and then replacing it. At that point, the flap will close once but as soon as I remove the cassette and replace it, the door will not close again.

Also, even when the CD changer flap does close, the CDC stays grayed out on the iDrive screen. There is no way to select it no matter how many CDs are in it.

Can anyone more experienced chime in and tell me what you think is happening? Is it possible that my ASK units are not broken but my CDC is? Maybe the ASK units and the CDC are both broken? Something else in the MOST bus network?

This is driving me crazy I just want my radio even if its only the front speakers for now. I've been driving around with a sound bar connected to a power inverter which is plugged into my cigarette lighter. This is getting ridiculous
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2016, 05:17 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
Buy another lollipop loop & loop out the CD Changer ...
Old 03-31-2016, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 760Li
My cd changer showed as greyed out. The garage said the issue was although you can hear it cycle, it couldn't grab the cd into the player. My unit was sent away for repair and has been fine for the last year. Still get the cd door sometimes not closing or fully closing but that's a separate issue.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2016, 06:51 AM

Well I just got another loop and looped out the CDC and still not a sound. Also tried looping the SVS but that didn't work either. I tested both of my ASK units in each scenario too.

Man this is getting frustrating. I'm not even sure what else it could be at this point.

I did just notice something though. Take a look at this picture-

https://imgur.com/a/kjWMh

This is the back of the ASK unit. The set of wires that my thumb is touching, are they supposed to be taped off like that or should they be connected to the wires that my middle finger is touching?

There is some aftermarket thing connected in the car, I think it's an aux input. I didn't realize they may have modified the wiring of the ASK unit.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:53 AM
CRISP & CLEAN

Those wires are supposed to be connected
to the harness that plugs into the back of
the Ask unit . Do you have any aftermarket
amps in the trunk that you can see or
anything after market you can see
Also where is the aux plug you're talking about. And is there a switch or anything next to it ???

Last edited by PAPER; 03-31-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:26 AM

https://imgur.com/a/RTEd8

That's everything I can see. The wiring in the trunk looks pretty complicated to mess with but I'm willing to try whatever it takes.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 740i
Easiest would be to reconnect all wires as they were oem. Especially the ones at the ASK unit. This should give you sound again on your front doors and rear shelf. The woofers, rear doors and front centre are controlled by the Logic 7 amp, so restoring that wiring and L7 will get sound back to those channels.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:19 AM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike750li06 View Post
https://imgur.com/a/RTEd8

That's everything I can see. The wiring in the trunk looks pretty complicated to mess with but I'm willing to try whatever it takes.
Does that power up when you have the car running ?
have you followed the power wire to check the fuse ?

to bad you weren't here in L.A. so I could help you with it ...
Old 04-06-2016, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 07 750LI
Fiber optic diagnostic

I have 07 750Li. MY Ask unit, navi, door chime and DVD has went out. WHERE DO I START? Besides the obvious, my other symptoms are a buzz in the rear speakers and my SOS MALFUCTION light on the dash. I'm not sure if one relates to the other. PLEASE HELP! I've started reading the post about fiber optic loop in the glove box and testing the module w/ a fiber optic loop on the connection wire of each component until I get a sign of which one is broken.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:37 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams.darric View Post
I have 07 750Li. MY Ask unit, navi, door chime and DVD has went out. WHERE DO I START? Besides the obvious, my other symptoms are a buzz in the rear speakers and my SOS MALFUCTION light on the dash. I'm not sure if one relates to the other. PLEASE HELP! I've started reading the post about fiber optic loop in the glove box and testing the module w/ a fiber optic loop on the connection wire of each component until I get a sign of which one is broken.
You do not use the loop in the glove box .
You need to purchase an extra loop to use .
Old 04-07-2016, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Like Paper said you need to get another loop.

My gut feeling is that your TCU is out due to the SOS error, but nothing is certain with these things.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:04 AM

Fiber optic loop

Do you know where I can purchase a fiber optic loop from? Or does anyone have the part number for it? Now, once I get the lollipop/loop, I can proceed with checking each wire connection (ask unit, navi, DVD etc) until I figure out which ones needs to be replaced. Correct?
Old 04-07-2016, 03:05 AM

Fiber optic loop

By the way, what is the TCU post?
Old 04-07-2016, 10:13 AM

Right, you can buy them on eBay or from BMW, part number 61136917541.

For future reference, have a look on realoem.com, you'll never have to ask for a part number again

The TCU is your telematics control unit. It's in the boot on the left hand side, mounted sideways on a bracket to the top right of your navigation unit. It controls the SOS function. So if this is busted it can knock out the MOST system.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:03 AM

Fiber optic loop

It makes sense! - before my ask unit, navi, DVD etc went out a warning light on my dash came SOS MALFUCTION. Its the pic of a phone with the line going through it. Shortly after, I lost everything. I'll start w/ the TCU 1st since I'm still waiting on the loop to arrive. Stay close and thanks!
Old 04-08-2016, 07:30 AM

Update:

I got the 2nd lollipop and looped out the CD changer. Still nothing. Then I started going through the trunk and looking at that kicker thing that was installed...

I originally thought it was just spliced off the amp wires. Well it turns out that the entire sound system of my car was rewired to go into the aftermarket units. I'm looking at the speaker on my rear shelf behind the back seat and the OEM wires have been removed and replaced with aftermarket wiring.

I am going to do my best to replace all the OEM wires that I can with my limited knowledge. The worst part of all this is that it's pretty likely that there was never anything wrong with my Logic7 amp to begin with and I ruined it months ago by removing capacitors and thus frying it out because I figured who cares, it's broken anyway.

Anyway, is it true that the rear shelf speakers are controlled by the ASK unit? I thought the Logic7 controlled everything in the rear of the car. If they are controlled by the ASK then maybe I can at least diagnose what's wrong by getting the rear shelf speakers working, since i do have 2 ASK units now (bought a second one because I thought mine was broken which it probably wasn't)
Old 04-08-2016, 01:39 PM

Hi mike, sorry the bad wiring buddy! I'm kinda new to the forum and started looking for help on why my system went as well. This forum has helped me eliminate so of the problems. You have to ask some the experts on I the loop posting. I'll forward your email to one of the guys whose been helping me.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:18 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike750li06 View Post
Update:

I got the 2nd lollipop and looped out the CD changer. Still nothing. Then I started going through the trunk and looking at that kicker thing that was installed...

I originally thought it was just spliced off the amp wires. Well it turns out that the entire sound system of my car was rewired to go into the aftermarket units. I'm looking at the speaker on my rear shelf behind the back seat and the OEM wires have been removed and replaced with aftermarket wiring.

I am going to do my best to replace all the OEM wires that I can with my limited knowledge. The worst part of all this is that it's pretty likely that there was never anything wrong with my Logic7 amp to begin with and I ruined it months ago by removing capacitors and thus frying it out because I figured who cares, it's broken anyway.

Anyway, is it true that the rear shelf speakers are controlled by the ASK unit? I thought the Logic7 controlled everything in the rear of the car. If they are controlled by the ASK then maybe I can at least diagnose what's wrong by getting the rear shelf speakers working, since i do have 2 ASK units now (bought a second one because I thought mine was broken which it probably wasn't)
May I make a suggestion ?
How about you try hooking an after market amp up to the
Kicker unit they installed in the trunk before you try re-wiring everything .
Old 04-08-2016, 05:57 PM

Paper, unfortunately I didn't see your reply until I spent the whole day messing with everything... The aftermarket wiring was really deep into the whole system. The speakers in the doors, the rear shelf speakers, amp, ASK unit... pretty much everything had OEM wiring removed and replaced with aftermarket wiring.

Here's the good news. I took the front door panels off and rewired the main speakers (not the ones that are up on the corner by the window)... I also rewired the rear shelf speakers. The front door and rear shelf speakers are now working, but only on the passengers side.

I'm not sure why but I used a circuit tester and the speaker wires on the drivers side do not have any power. I didn't get a chance to really go crazy on the drivers side yet, so I'll try to see if I'm able to get that working tomorrow.

Either way I'm very happy that I got the passengers side working for now, it feels really good to hear music and the seatbelt chime when I get in my car now after having it for a year and a half. Finally feels like I have a BMW now.

The funny part is my ASK unit was never damaged but the one I just bought for $125 doesn't work. There's a 30 day return policy though so that's okay. The not so funny part is my amp was probably never damaged either until I ruined it since I thought it was already damaged.

On a side note I also installed a trailer hitch on my car today since I'm picking up a small boat this weekend. I actually think it looks pretty cool even though most people wouldn't agree with towing anything with a 7.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Keep us updated, Hopefully you get it all worked out...
Old 04-16-2016, 02:19 PM

Ok! I removed the DVD/navi box and plugged the loop into the connection, and what do know, EVERTHING came back on. Now, notice that some kind of oil has leaked INSIDE it! I looked around and I notice that fluid has leaked from the pump that opens and close the trunk. I don't know if it can be cleaned out or I may just have to get another navi box.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:34 AM

Navi/dvd player

Ok! I narrowed the problem down using the loop. It's the Navi/DVD box! After careful examination, it appears that oil from the truck hydrolic pump has leaked inside the DVD vent holes. I searched the prices for a new one! ($2700) i WILL NOT pay that much for a new one. Can this navi box be self cleaned, repaired or replaced with another on for a much cheaper cost! ANY IDEAS! For those who are electronics inclined?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:43 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 05' 760li,94' H1,08'Smart
Quote:
Ok! I narrowed the problem down using the loop. It's the Navi/DVD box! After careful examination, it appears that oil from the truck hydrolic pump has leaked inside the DVD vent holes. I searched the prices for a new one! ($2700) i WILL NOT pay that much for a new one. Can this navi box be self cleaned, repaired or replaced with another on for a much cheaper cost! ANY IDEAS! For those who are electronics inclined?
Buy a used one off eBay. Or search eBay there's individuals that repair them. Someone on this site may also have one for sale. There's a source in Germany to buy the new laser for the unit. 90% of the time that's the problem. However if you have hydraulic oil in yours it may be more than that. Used ones can be purchased between $250 and $300. Repairs are about $175. New laser unit from Germany is about $40.

Last edited by Rick in Yuma; 04-27-2016 at 09:47 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search