Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

Old 07-25-2012, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci, 740i
Exclamation 94 740 - car loses power and stalls while driving. Happens randomly

Hi Folks. This is my first post, so be kind if I break any rules. This issue has been happening for some time but has recently increased in frequency. Initially, it seemed to happen if the gas gauge went below 1/4 tank. Simple solution, keep the tank filled. Then it happened at 1/2 tank and now with more than 3/4. So, not likely it's related. This is what I have observed during and after a stall. Usually happens on the highway (60 - 80mph). Feels like it loses power then comes back 5 or 6 times every second or so and then it stalls while the car is still in motion or sometimes I can get it to the side of the road while it chugs and then it dies. Check engine light comes on. Car may start and allow you to move 10 - 20 yards and then dies again. After that, it will not start again until one of the following occurs. Disconnect/reconnect the battery or let it sit for a period of time (usually an hour or two). I am aware that I have a battery issue. It still turns over the car (feels very tired) but needs to be replaced. I cant imagine that it is related but I am going to replace it to take it out of the equation. Really feels like the car is out of gas when this happens ( I have run out of gas before and it really feels the same). Items I suspect are fuel pump (or fuel pump connection), fuel filter (Does anyone know where it is located), fuel pump relay. Does not feel electrical (but I really don't have a clue).

One more thing. The last time it died, there was a trans fault of some kind on the display but that is gone now and I have not seen it since (but have not driven it much either).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2012, 07:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 850Ci
Looks like you're headed in the right direction. A bad battery will cause all kinds of problems. Disconnecting the battery wouldn't help a plugged fuel filter so that's likely OK. Almost sounds like the relay or pump itself is getting hot and shutting down.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Old Fogey

Mein Auto: BMW '95 840
My 740 did that and the cause was the crank position sensor.
'98 740i
'00 Range Rover Vitesse
www.wuffer.net
www.8coupe.com
www.8er.org