Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 05-24-2012, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 E89
Angry Z4 E89 iDrive retrofit

Hi. My BMW dealer has told me I can't retrofit cruise control or iDrive to my 2009 sDrive23i

No one seems to be able to explain why though I've seen sDrive23i's with both cruise and iDrive, so they must be compatible but all i get from the dealers is a resounding 'NO'.

I'm inclined to think the cost would be so prohibitive, buying the system, replacing the dash, man hours to install etc, that BMW have decided it's not even worth offering it as an option.

I have found all the bits I need to retrofit cruise and the iDrive system from a local breakers yard, so I’m desperately frustrated that I can’t get a decent explanation as to why I can’t fit them.

Is there anyone out there in the know who can tell me categorically that a retrofit is impossible and why?

Thanks

Chris.
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2012, 10:36 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Anything is possible, but installing iDrive is a LOT of work. Your car won't have any of the wiring or the GPS antennas.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:48 AM

Thanks for the feedback but..... this isn't really definitive. I'd hate to spend a couple of thousand pounds only to be told there are bits that can't be fitted or it can't be coded.

Can someone list the parts that are needed and once installed, if it can be coded?

Also, cruise control looks like a relatively easy install. I can get the whole unit with wipers, indicators etc. Is it compatible with my wheel and airbag? I have an unmolested E89 sDrive23i with sports package.

Please please please, can someone help?

If anyone can confirm the installation, I'll have a go and post my progress with pics :-)

Last edited by Rh3t0r1c; 05-28-2012 at 12:56 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rh3t0r1c View Post
Can someone list the parts that are needed and once installed, if it can be coded? Also, cruise control looks like a relatively easy install. I can get the whole unit with wipers, indicators etc. Is it compatible with my wheel and airbag? I have an unmolested E89 sDrive23i with sports package. Please please please, can someone help? If anyone can confirm the installation, I'll have a go and post my progress with pics :-)
Chris you have a car that is worth about £20K, you want to do this major mod, and you want someone to do all the homework for you. You are very funny

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 05-28-2012, 09:41 AM

Hey HerrK :-)

I have never attempted anything like this before. The most i've done is change a wheel so I really don't know anything about mods or who to ask or where to go, which is why I joined this site. I'd really like to add the iDrive to this car and cruise control too. i guess i'm hoping to find the expertise and help i need here..........BMW have been no help at all.

Whilst i am new to modding, I'm very capable, can follow instructions/schematic and have excellent spacial awareness.

I'd like to have a go if it's possible and post my progress on this site for anyone else that would like to know if it can be done, and how to do it.

I've done some research on parts but i'm not a mechanic so i'm worried i might miss something. If someone listed the parts I need, I could check against what i can get and reasure myself that I could complete the job.

I'm also very worried about coding.

I should add that I bought this car used (9000 miles) with light damage to front O/S, I have aquired all the parts except a new dash and will be ready to start work in a couple of weeks. The car cost me £9000, very cheap so I thought whilst i'm fixing it, I might be able to add cruise and sat nav before commiting to the wrong dash.

Okay, if members don't want to help out a noob, that's fair enough, but I thought someone might at least point me in the right direction or confirm what so far, no one else has confirmed absolutely.....Can it be done?

Thanks

Last edited by Rh3t0r1c; 05-28-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rh3t0r1c View Post
Hey HerrK :-)

I've done some research on parts but i'm not a mechanic so i'm worried i might miss something. If someone listed the parts I need, I could check against what i can get and reasure myself that I could complete the job.

I'm also worried about coding.

Okay, if members don't want to help out a noob, that's fair enough, but I thought someone might at least point me in the right direction or confirm what so far, no one else will confirm.....Can it be done?

Thanks
Chris in all fairness, I think you are dreaming. You stated yourself - "I'm not a mechanic". I worked as a mechanic for years, work as an aerospace engineer, do most all maintenance on our old BMW E46's, and would simply never dream of tearing apart BMW dashboards. They are a maze of wire harnesses and tight spaces if you need to work "in situ". Merely changing or adding to wiring harness's is not a fun task. Most dashboards and wiring harness's are preassembled and dropped into the vehicle on the assembly line. This is simply not a task for the beginner.

It is not a smart idea or cost effective, even with experience, parts, wiring diagrams and any required specialty tools, which is why - "My BMW dealer has told me I can't retrofit cruise control or iDrive to my 2009 sDrive23i" When you combine the salvage effort & cost along with the retrofit it is likely a 60-80 hr task in the best case scenario.

I doubt you will likely find anyone who has attempted or successfully completed this task - I could be wrong.

Best of luck.

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 05-28-2012, 02:38 PM
resU deretsigeR

With fewer than 7,000 e89s in the UK, I doubt you will find anyone who has done this either.

There is a post (maybe on here) of someone who added navigation to an e46 touring but that is easier.

Your best bet is to try looking for someone who has retrofitted an e90 3 series. The electronics in the e89 is based on the e90.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:17 PM

Andrew, thanks for your advice :-)

It hadn't occured to me that with so few models available in the UK and the model being so new, that no one would have contemplated this before now. The car was originally fitted with Navigation Plus so there is some wiring there and I assume a GPS antenna? Your suggestion is very helpful though, so i'll do some more research. Thank you.

HerrK,

Yes, perhaps I AM dreaming but as George Bernard Shaw wrote in Back to Methuselah.... I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not'?

I have two backup cars (Z3, R230 SL500) so if my dream takes a year to complete, i'm happy to try but ONLY if someone can convince me there's a reasonable chance of success. Both airbags have been deployed so I will have to get a new dash anyway. If the dash is coming out, why not fit the sat nav if it's possible?

Only a fool would dismiss your experience and wisdom so i'll definately consider your advice when i get more feedback.

Thanks

Last edited by Rh3t0r1c; 05-28-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Add Picture
Old 05-28-2012, 09:47 PM
resU deretsigeR

We have Navigation Pro on our car. Plus and Pro integrate a Garmin Nuvi. There kit includes an overlay wiring harness to connect the Nuvi into the car audio system. The GPS antenna is in the Nuvi.

Navigation Pro is the sane choice

You should start lurking on some of the coding forums. Adding iDrive would require coding changes.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
BTW, everytime I build a Z4 on BMW's website, I can never see the iDrive knob on the interior pics even on a fully loaded one. What gives?

Sent from a HTC EVO
Old 05-29-2012, 12:34 PM
resU deretsigeR

It works on the UK website. Car is Left Hand Drive too.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:37 PM

Okay, I've decided not to try to fit an iDrive for now. As the wiring is fitted for Navigation Plus, I'd like to try to get that working instead. The Navigation portable plus was removed along with its holster before I bought the car so I need to find replacements. BMW would like to overcharge me £400+ to replace the unit, which i understand to be a rebranded Garmin nuvi? Question... Does anyone know which model Garmin nuvi BMW use for their portable plus in an E89 Z4 (2009)? There seem to be a number of different models depending on which car you have.

Once again, I appreciate the forums expert help and advice and i thank you for your feedback in advance :-)
Old 01-04-2013, 05:41 AM

I'm back having spent the monsoon getting my Z4 fixed up. It's now been resprayed and just requires the dash sorting (airbag had deployed). As the dash MUST come out at some point, i've gone back to the original idea of retrofitting sat nav to it. In fact, i've gone so far as to commit myself to the project by buying one i found on ebay. Now, before the pessimistic decide to chip in with 'it can't be done' or 'sat navs probably knackered/stolen'. ZIP IT! It's going to be done so i'd only like to hear from those who have something positive to say.

Watch this space......