Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: a car
328i Useful/good Packages and Options

Hi,

I was wondering what packages and options are good and useful as I have an old car and have never really experienced a lot of the new car technology.

Here are the general selections, packages, and options that I am interested in order of importance.

1. Exterior: Mineral Gray Metallic or Black Sapphire Mettalic Or Estoril Blue if M Sport line..
2. Line: Base line or the M Sport line
3. Interior: Black leatherette or Black leather if and only if I get the premium package
4. Lighting package
5. BMW Assist w/ Enhanced BT & USB (if I don't get the technology package)
6. Harman Kardon
7. Anti-Theft alarm

The above 7 are a must for me and I would probably not even buy a new car if any of the 7 are missing. Well, except maybe for number 7. Any opinions about the alarm? Anyone like or dislike it?

Next are the additional options that I'm interested also in order of importance.

8. Technology Package: For Enhanced BT, Navi, and HUD
9. Dynamic Handling Package: Adaptive M Suspension, Variable sport steering. Made me consider this after reading about the vibrating steering wheels. Does anyone know if the DHP will solve this issue or if it has nothing to do with this?
10. M Sport Line. Any opinions? Just a matter of taste?
11. Parking distance control or driver assistance package / + / parking assistant. Anyone have these options and/or have opinions about them?
12. Premium package: really really want the keyless entry but don't care much about or even slightly dislike the leather seats and the moonroof

Please feel free to share your thoughts (like/dislike, pros/cons) on any of the 12 that I listed.

Thanks.

Last edited by kkapdolee; 10-19-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2012, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 13' 328i Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkapdolee View Post
Hi,

I was wondering what packages and options are good and useful as I have an old car and have never really experienced a lot of the new car technology.

Here are the general selections, packages, and options that I am interested in order of importance.

1. Exterior: Mineral Gray Metallic or Black Sapphire Mettalic Or Estoril Blue if M Sport line..
3. Interior: Black leatherette or Black leather if and only if I get the premium package
4. Lighting package
6. Harman Kardon
7. Anti-Theft alarm

The above 7 are a must for me and I would probably not even buy a new car if any of the 7 are missing. Well, except maybe for number 7. Any opinions about the alarm? Anyone like or dislike it?

Next are the additional options that I'm interested also in order of importance.

9. Dynamic Handling Package: Adaptive M Suspension, Variable sport steering. Made me consider this after reading about the vibrating steering wheels. Does anyone know if the DHP will solve this issue or if it has nothing to do with this?
11. Parking distance control or driver assistance package / + / parking assistant. Anyone have these options and/or have opinions about them?
12. Premium package: really really want the keyless entry but don't care much about or even slightly dislike the leather seats and the moonroof

Please feel free to share your thoughts (like/dislike, pros/cons) on any of the 12 that I listed.

Thanks.
I'm wondering about the Dynamic Handling Package myself. It's been said in the past with the BMW E90 line that the 'active steering' ruined the awesome steering feel for a lot of people. Not sure if that still holds true to this day. I think the adaptable suspension is just awesome, never used it though (I have an E90 now).

I have the Harmon Kardon now and it sounds impeccable. Not sure how the base sound system sounds in the F30 though I heard it was quite good.

As far as the tech package, it's expensive IMO. $3,100 for nav and HUD basically, plus it comes with the extended contents on the instrument cluster which looks pretty great (there's pictures around here somewhere).

Definitely get the leather, BMW leather is so nice I couldn't imagine one of their cars without it! Especially the smell!

I don't really think you need the BMW assist with enhanced bluetooth, unless you're just looking for BMW assist. The enhanced bluetooth just gives you the capability to play music over bluetooth on enabled phones. Also, ipod and USB adapter come standard now.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
The alarm isn't needed really. All you are really getting is an audible alert. Driving a stolen BMW isn't going to get you very far for very long with all of the built in security features.

I love the Tech Package and Enhanced BT. I wouldn't drive a car in this day and age without the ability to stream from my phone to the stereo. I'm not plugging in my phone every time I get in the car (I leave an iPod plugged in for that).

I love my sport line and would only want to drive either it or the M Sport. Frankly, due to the design of the F30, I actually think the sport line looks better than the M Sport.
2012 Alpine White F30 328i Leather Dakota Everest Grey/Sport Line/Premium/Premium Sound/Technology/STEPTRONIC/Rear View Camera/Heated Front Seats/Park Distance Control/Xenons/BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB/BMW Apps
Old 10-19-2012, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
I like all the options I choose, but the last one I would give up is the HUD. I drive aggressively with the steering wheel more down in my lap and it covers the speedometer.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:36 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Hi,

4. Lighting package
6. Harman Kardon
7. Anti-Theft alarm

Thanks.
First off, welcome aboard. Here's what you do:

Kill #5, #6, and #7.

Get Technology Package.

Get Rear Camera and PDC options.

You get the technology package because this car is one of the most advanced on the market. In the next three years a ton of great new features will become available and you don't want to miss them. The head up display is fantastic, something every luxury car should have. The integrated navigation system, and future voice commands with iPhone and Siri can't be missed.

Unless you do a lot of parallel parking in big cities, all you need is the rear camera and PDC. Both are a must have, once you have them you never want to live without them. The rest of the driver assistance package is overkill.

The Harman Kardon audio system is not necessary, especially since you are coming from a car with an average system and the stock 3 Series comes with an upgraded system. If money is no object, put this back into your build. Do not take this if it means you have to give up the technology package, rear camera, or PDC as they are more important.

You don't need an alarm system.

The M sport package is mainly for appearance. You can get the other components individually without spending as much money.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 10-19-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
Difference between Sport and M Sport is basically cosmetic. Sport gets you the same suspension as M Sport and the same sport seats.

If I was getting a non-xDrive Sport or M Sport I'd probably skip DHP since they already come with the fixed sport suspension, so you're paying twice for a suspension upgrade basically. On an xDrive or a base, Luxury or Modern Line I'd get DHP though.

If you're getting the auto and care about performance you probably want a Sport/M Sport with the sport auto option.

The rest depends on how gadget-happy you are and if your priorities are more comfort or performance. I'm probably the exact opposite of BJ in that regard.

Last edited by sean10mm; 10-19-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I think the music streaming capabilities the Enhanced Bluetooth brings is absolutely necessary for me. I have an aftermarket audio head unit installed in my current car with bluetooth music streaming and I would never give that up for anything. For some reason, the idea of taking my iphone out of my pocket and plugging it into some cord bothers me too much. It would almost be like a downgrade for me to get car without bluetooth music even if its a bimmer. Also, using a beater iPod or something won't work for me as I don't have and never had an extra MP3 player. I like having everything integrated in my phone it will bother me if I have to separate the phone and music on a smart phone.

I will consider leather now. Never thought it had any advantage over the free leatherette..

Did test drive again last weekend an M Sport line with tech package HUD. HUD seemed pretty cool but I'm not sure how useful it would be for me. I have a thread where people recommended me to get the entire tech package and I am considering that as well..

Never used a Navi in a car before.. Never felt I needed them in Houston but I'm not sure if its because I got used to not having one that I convinced myself that I don't need one. Maybe I'll really like it once I have it..

Anyone have any comments about my #12 Premium Package, especially the keyless entry + opening up the trunk with your feet? I'm interested in that feature but I don't really like the moonroof the premium package comes with.. I have a convertible right now and if I wanted to open the top I can. Now I want to move on to a little more quiet (inside) yet sporty and powerful car. A moonroof seems like for people who want to open up there top but can't. I prefer to go to the end either way: open up the entire top with a convertible or never open anything on the roof. I suppose there isn't a way to get just the keyless entry without the leather or the moonroof?

Thanks.

Last edited by kkapdolee; 10-19-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:09 AM

BJ,

Thanks. You recommended me the tech package last time and that persuaded me to go check it out on another test drive. I did so with a friend last weekend and he absolutely loved the HUD while I thought it was just pretty cool. I'm still strongly considering it because I don't want to not get it and regret later. Maybe I'll like it a lot once I get used to it..

I think I actually have an above average speakers in my car right now. I have the 7 speaker Infinity system and I want my next car to have at least as good of speakers as my old one, if not better. Actually I prefer better because I listen to a lot of music.

I never parallel park so I will consider PDC and rear view camera.

Does anyone actually have a driver assistance package who can comment on it? I'm actually interested in the active blind spot detection as I find it a little annoying having to turn my head more each time in case there's a car in my blind spot. I was thinking this active blind spot function would save me from my little annoyance everyday.

Last edited by kkapdolee; 10-19-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:29 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
BJ,

Thanks. You recommended me the tech package last time and that persuaded me to go check it out on another test drive. I did so with a friend last weekend and he absolutely loved the HUD while I thought it was just pretty cool. I'm still strongly considering it because I don't want to not get it and regret later. Maybe I'll like it a lot once I get used to it..

I think I actually have an above average speakers in my car right now. I have the 7 speaker Infinity system and I want my next car to have at least as good of speakers as my old one, if not better. Actually I prefer better because I listen to a lot of music.

I never parallel park so I will consider PDC and rear view camera.

Does anyone actually have a driver assistance package who can comment on it? I'm actually interested in the active blind spot detection as I find it a little annoying having to turn my head more each time in case there's a car in my blind spot. I was thinking this active blind spot function would save me from my little annoyance everyday.
If it boils down to Premium vs. Technology for you, choose Technology. There is nothing you'll regret more on this car than not having some protocol that'll allow your 2016 iPhone 9 to execute some great feature we can't imagine right now.

I had leatherette on my prior two 3 Series' and no one can tell that it's not real leather. I only got leather on my F30 because I had to have the saddle interior. The BMW leatherette is very good and looks as good on Day 1000 as it did on Day 1. You don't want the sunroof either, just skip Premium.

Get the HK audio if you get Technology and the Rear Camera + PDC. Don't pick HK over those options.

Have fun!

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
Quote:
BJ,

I have the DA package on my 335i. It has nice features, but nothing I would consider a necessity. The blind spot detection is good, and it doesn't distract me, I see it out of the corner of my eye. The speed limit info is a fun feature, but again not needed. It's interesting to see it in HUD, but all it does is remind me how far over the speed limit I'm going.

I think if you have the money, there's nothing wrong with adding the package if those options are important to you. One thing I am missing, with having this package, it removes the extra little cubby for storage by your left leg. Storage space is a premium in a 3 series.

BMWCCA #471315