Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 06-20-2004, 10:27 AM
95NU>*

Mein Auto: '04 Imola/Cinn M3
Hope Ralf's going to be OK.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to e.biemold
Mein Auto: BMW E91 318
He appears to be in rather good condition
Old 06-20-2004, 11:20 AM
Available for enduros!

Mein Auto: Street: Porsche 996
Quote:
Anyway, re-runs of Melrose Place start in 13 minutes. At least there is something worth watching before the Spain-Portugal kickoff.
Quite unfortunate. You deprived yourself of some exciting racing from Sato, and now as I watch Rubens is taking lunges at Schumacher. Gotta go, it's getting good.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to e.biemold
Mein Auto: BMW E91 318
black flag for Montoya
Old 06-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Mein Auto: Ford Tempo GL
How long has that new technical director been on the job? He doesn't seem to be having much luck...

Of course, one might argue you make your own luck.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:28 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang
Quite unfortunate. You deprived yourself of some exciting racing from Sato, and now as I watch Rubens is taking lunges at Schumacher. Gotta go, it's getting good.
No, it was actually quite an exceptional episode of MP!

And no, it's not getting good (Formula Spoonface). And no, the #2 driver for Ferrari will not pass Spoonface ...

Not today, not ever.

-
Old 06-20-2004, 11:36 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick 520iAT
No, it was actually quite an exceptional episode of MP!

And no, it's not getting good (Formula Spoonface). And no, the #2 driver for Ferrari will not pass Spoonface ...

Not today, not ever.

-
Sorry but you are trolling now

You have missed maybe one of the best races since years. A lot of action, lots of passing (maybe more than the whole season together).

I'm waiting the race to end, then I'll write my thoughts.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Baumann
Sorry but you are trolling now

You have missed maybe one of the best races since years. A lot of action, lots of passing (maybe more than the whole season together).

I'm waiting the race to end, then I'll write my thoughts.
Trolling? I do that when fishing, but not here ...

And I have watched this race from start until now. The best race in years???

Alex, I will have some of whatever they gave you ...

-
Old 06-20-2004, 11:44 AM
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Mein Auto: Ford Tempo GL
Wow you know it was a crazy race when Minardi scores a point
Old 06-20-2004, 11:51 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:

And "event rich" race for sure.

The result?

I hope that the Battle of Iberia will save me from total boredom this evening.

Formula One =

-
Old 06-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
So what happened to the penalty for MS passing under yellow. Did I miss the ruling when I took a pi$$?

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 06-20-2004, 12:13 PM
95NU>*

Quote:
Originally Posted by berford
So what happened to the penalty for MS passing under yellow. Did I miss the ruling when I took a pi$$?
They never did explain how he managed to be in front at that point.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
Trolling? I do that when fishing, but not here ...

And I have watched this race from start until now. The best race in years???

Alex, I will have some of whatever they gave you ...

-
No, but you should stop taking those Anti-Michael pills. It's ruining your health.

Yes, one of the best races. If you didn't see it, I doubt you have watched the same race as I did.

Now on to the race :

It was mentioned after the race too, there was so much debris on the asphalt after the first accident in the first corner. This caused a lot of tire puncture in the race. For instance Alonso ( I'm guessing that Ralf's accident was a puncture too, but nothing official yet). The impact was pretty heavy. I hope he'll recover soon. Dr Theissen said that he's in the medical center and in good shape.

Two points which I don't want to leave unmentioned :

1) Why did it take the medics 3 minutes to arrive, as Ralf was sitting in the car ? OK, according to the FIA reglement, the medic car is not allowed to drive against the race course. But don't they have some emergency road or exits on the track ? 3 minutes seemed to me a little long.

2) It took them 57 laps to decide Montoya's disqualification. This is almost 1.5 hours. WTF ? These kind of decisions needs to be taken faster, so that the cars in question don't get involved in actions, which might influence the entire race in a way or another.

Last edited by Alex Baumann; 06-20-2004 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
It was mentioned after the race too, there was so much debris on the asphalt after the first accident in the first corner.
My health is just fine, thank you.

It is amusing when Spoonface/Ferrari fans have to search for ways to make these races "sound" interesting after the fact - when there was nothing interesting at all with regards to who won.

Amost like Spoonface himself in the post-race interviews, when he has to come up with some explanation after saying "it was such a difficult race ..." Blah blah blah. "Uh, Rubens was pushing very hard." Or, "Passing backmarkers on this course is dangerous."

Sounds like someone who wants to justify his thirty-nine million dollar salary. Of course he loves his job!

I saw a TV interview of Spoonface from yesterday at Indy, where he was asked if Barrichello or anyone else would be serious competition to him. He laughed hard and said, "What competition? Didn't you see the race in Montreal last weekend (followed by laughing out loud at the question)."

What an arrogant p-rick! That is pure Spoonface for you.

I am waiting for the day that he will say (out loud) what everyone else already knows.

Formula One is a joke ...

Party on Tifosi.

-
Old 06-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
My health is just fine, thank you.

It is amusing when Spoonface/Ferrari fans have to search for ways to make these races "sound" interesting after the fact - when there was nothing interesting at all with regards to who won.

Amost like Spoonface himself in the post-race interviews, when he has to come up with some explanation after saying "it was such a difficult race ..." Blah blah blah. "Uh, Rubens was pushing very hard." Or, "Passing backmarkers on this course is dangerous."

Sounds like someone who wants to justify his thirty-nine million dollar salary. Of course he loves his job!

I saw a TV interview of Spoonface from yesterday at Indy, where he was asked if Barrichello or anyone else would be serious competition to him. He laughed hard and said, "What competition? Didn't you see the race in Montreal last weekend (followed by laughing out loud at the question)."

What an arrogant p-rick! That is pure Spoonface for you.

I am waiting for the day that he will say (out loud) what everyone else already knows.

Party on Tifosi.

-
Sorry, but I am not searching anything to make a race more interesting, which was already interesting to watch.

Afterall, if you think that he's an arrogant prick, why are you still watching the series ? Why do you care so much for his character ? He is an as-s hole, but who cares ?

I have asked the question, but noone could answer it : Who is going to beat the Ferrari & Michael combination and more importantly how ? The next best finishing driver, which was Sato, finished 22 seconds behind. Whose fault is that ?

He has a goal : to win. And he's achieving it.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:19 PM
Available for enduros!

It's funny how the past seems so much more romantic. Nowadays you hear people talking about guys like Juan Manuel Fangio, with reverence about how great a driver he was, how he dominated fields, and how lucky they were to see him do it. Although I'm no huge Schumacher fan (but a big Ferrari fan - always have been), I respect the fact that what we are seeing now is history in the making, and I appreciate it as such. Do I have problems with things like Wubens being his beeyotch and not being allowed to beat him? Sure, but then again F1 has always had #1 and #2 drivers, too.

Also, F1 is F1, and dominance is nothing new. I don't watch just to see who won, but I also like to see who's racing in the field, who's up and coming (teams AND drivers), and I have to say some of the racing through the field was great to watch today. Sato in particular.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Available for enduros!

Quote:
I have asked the question, but noone could answer it : Who is going to beat the Ferrari & Michael combination and more importantly how ?
It will be Renault or BAR. Both have great chassis and good engines if they can hold them together. Both have good drivers. The how, you're correct, is the tough part. It must be through team personnel consistency. Both drivers need to stay with their teams to provide a good baseline for year-to-year improvements in the car. That will be Williams-BMW's downfall next year, if both current drivers are replaced. Maybe even with only the loss of Montoya.

Just my guess, of course.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3 Melbourne Red
I think it was a great race even if the last ten laps were just a formality.

Quote:
1) Why did it take the medics 3 minutes to arrive, as Ralf was sitting in the car ?
No doubt. WTF? What if that car had caught fire? This was unacceptable. The crews should have been rolling before his car came to a stop. And this race should have been red flagged.

Quote:
2) It took them 57 laps to decide Montoya's disqualification.
Yet another example of poor decision-making by the officials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang
It will be Renault or BAR.
I agree, Renault has been strong. They just had some bad luck lately. I love watching Sato. He might not always make the best decisions but boy is he entertaining out there.

2013 M3 DCT
Past: 2002 330Ci Topaz (loved that car), 2009 X6 50i
Old 06-20-2004, 03:42 PM
95NU>*

Montoya's DQ

Quote:
Montoya’s woes began just seconds before the start of the formation lap when his Williams FW26 failed to start. The Colombian therefore made a mad dash to his team’s pits in order to get into the T-car in time for the race start, which he succeeded in doing.

However, 59 laps into the race he was informed that he’d been disqualified because he’d been roughly two seconds too slow to leave the grid prior to the start of the race.

"The driver joined the race after the start in a spare car in circumstances where the driver had not left the grid within 15 seconds of the start," an FIA statement said.

Do you think that if Spoonface had raced back to his T-car to start from the pit lane they would have DQ'd him for two seconds? No way.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Butting back in

Mein Auto: GS500F
I am sooooo freaking pissed at the DQ. It really looks like they'll take any excuse to get a miraculous comeback by BMW tossed out. And miraculous it was - a car that didn't start, run and get one that does, and SCREAM to near the front of the pack from the very back of it. JPM came alive and did the kind of driving that was so fun to watch last year - he was huntin' him some red car, and I put good odds on him biting at least one before the end of the race if they had let him run. Major for that decision.

Also, mucho props to Trulli, who came up from his no-qual-time back spot to fourth. Excellent driving on his part. And good job by Sato; maybe he's getting the hang of contact-free driving...
Old 06-20-2004, 10:55 PM
^yup, it's me^

Mein Auto: Teilsortierfachentdeckung
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roadstergal
I am sooooo freaking pissed at the DQ. It really looks like they'll take any excuse to get a miraculous comeback by BMW tossed out. And miraculous it was - a car that didn't start, run and get one that does, and SCREAM to near the front of the pack from the very back of it. JPM came alive and did the kind of driving that was so fun to watch last year - he was huntin' him some red car, and I put good odds on him biting at least one before the end of the race if they had let him run. Major for that decision.

Also, mucho props to Trulli, who came up from his no-qual-time back spot to fourth. Excellent driving on his part. And good job by Sato; maybe he's getting the hang of contact-free driving...
Why a major thumbsdown? The one engine per race weekend would've dampened the results for JPM anyway. I'm more upset with the response time for Ralfs mishap. That kind of lag is totally unacceptable.

Curator of the Museum of Unfinished Projects

Old 06-20-2004, 11:30 PM
^yup, it's me^

Mein Auto: Teilsortierfachentdeckung
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Know-It-All
No, it wouldn't. The one engine per weekend rule would force JPM to either start from the end of the grid or from pit lane, which he did.

F1 is all about arcane, convuluted rules and regulations. The Ferrari "spotters" probably saw that JPM did not have the tech sign-off sticker on his car and called it in like they're paid to do.
I was just abou to edit that. Damn you Mr. KIA!! I was also going to add something about the 2 seconds and the start of the formation lap, but it's been a long day.

Curator of the Museum of Unfinished Projects

Old 06-20-2004, 11:44 PM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
Quote:

-

it seems to me the joke is Schumacher's so-called competition

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present

Old 06-21-2004, 01:43 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Several observations.

The corner workers were at Ralf's car. In fact he was trying to get out, when the corner worker talked to him and had him remain in the car since it wasn't burning and they were there with fire extinguishers if it started. If it had caught fire, they would have put it out, or jerked him out. Since it wasn't, why not be safe and CAREFULLY remove him in case of back or neck injury.

As for the MS pass, the race is one when the safety car pulls off or when the green flag is shown, not when they cross the start finish.

As I have said before, all of you who seem to think that only Ferrari these years has team orders, should get real. Fangio had his team mate STOP and get out, so he, fangio, could take over the other car when his broke. All teams have some form of team orders. They may be only in the later stages of the race, or from teh beginning, but it is part of racing. The TEAM wants the championship, actually both championships, and will do whatever it takes to get them. It has happened before, it will continue to happen, You can't make it go away.

Those of you who claim that F1 is boring sinceMS is dominating, are not, IMO, true race fans. A true race fan enjoys teh ENTIRE race, from first to last palce and everything in between, not just who won. F1 in the 70s was MUCH more BORING, no passing, no pit stops, after the first corner that was the finishing order minus any retirements. And in most races, half of more of the field just plain BROKE. Real exciting, watching for people to break. No real racing.

And whoever said that you are watching history in teh making is exactly correct. In 20 years, you will be able to say, "I watched those years." Just like the McLaren domination years ago, or Clark or Stewart, or any of the other great drivers. The current MS/Ferrari domination will not be forever. It is much harder to stay in front than to have a target to shoot for and go for it.

As for Rubens, he is making good money, and likly he will be the #1 at ferrari whem MS retires from driving. If he sticks around and does what he is asked to do, he will be a mulitple champion himself.

As for red flagging the race, that should ONLY occur when the track is fully obstructed or the race cannot continue. Bad crashes are part of racing, and as long as the safety crews can do their work safely and the cars can get by safely, the race continues under yellow. In all forms of racing. And if there was a time for a red flag, it was after the first corner for everyone to get new tires to avoid teh Alonso and RS crash. In both the rear tire was visibly flat before the crash.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 06-21-2004, 05:00 AM
I reject your reality

Mein Auto: 02 Trulli-Leopard
Quote:
I have asked the question, but noone could answer it : Who is going to beat the Ferrari & Michael combination and more importantly how ?
Easy!

Jarno Trulli/Renault.

He already did it.

And don't whine about MS being out of the race at Monaco. He was a pit stop down when he left the race and Trulli had dominated the entire weekend.

Renault legitimately beat Ferrari at Monaco.

So there.