Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 08-01-2012, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 30si auto
Question Z4 Power Steering Failure.

Hi there, I have just registered today with this forum. Tne other evening I experienced a brief power steering failure so, I booked my car into the dealership for a service and check-up. I have had no further problems with my power steering since so, I told the guy this morning not to do a diagnostic on the car. He stressed that I should have it investigated as warning lights and loss of power steering is serious. I left the car at the dealers for an MOT as no service was required. I have since been reading the threads on this site and other articles on the net re the same problems I had, which seem to be inherent to the car rather than the actual vehicle so, I phoned the dealership to ask them about the US recall on Z4's re possible power steering failure and I asked if BMW UK was going to do the same? He said he didnt know about any recall or recorded problems. I explained that I had found a report and articles saying that a TSB was sent to all BMW dealers in 2009 suggesting that this should be corrected if this problem has been detected by the dealer during service or if the customer complains even if it falls short of a full recall. Again this is the stance taken by the Americans. I am still awaiting a response from BMW UK so, I will up-date you all later. Well, they will have to phone me back at least to tell me that my cars ready for collection Has anyone else challenged BMW UK re this problem ?

Last edited by Mishmash; 08-01-2012 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Grammar
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Hi and Welcome!!
The power steering on an E89 is all electric with a servo so no hydraulic fluid!!
If your car is still under warranty they just take it in to your BMW dealer. if not it sounds like the electric servo may have failed, even if it has the fall back position still leaves the car drivable, just that you get no assistance or variation at speed!!!

Does my bum look good in this !