Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: 997C2S
now's the time for the x5

I've been thinking about an x5 for a while, and now we have a 2nd child due in Nov so its time for me to get a bigger car. I've been in a 997 C2S for the past 3 years and I've enjoyed the driving pleasure, but my oldest hates being stuck behind my seat (shoe prints and milk stains would attest to this). I'm used to driving SUVs having had a 4Runner and a Denali in the past, and I love the convenience. Something sporty where you could still "drive" when you need to would be great. I almost pulled the trigger before on a 2008E70 but held off since I love the newer styling with paint matched bumpers, LED coronas, etc.

To date, I've looked at/ researched/ driven the following: Audi Q5/Q7, BMW X5 35i/35d, Porsche Cayenne, Acura MDX, Lexus RX350, Toyota Sequoia. Now I know all of these cars aren't in the same class and have varying price points, but I wasn't looking at class, or price as my starting points. I started with "SUVs I wouldn't mind having". Most recently, I drove the Q5. I like the styling, especially with the 2013 coming out (newer LEDs) but the car did feel a bit small. We will have 2 kids and I'm undecided on the merits/benefits of having 3rd row seating. The Denali had a 3rd row and it was useless and its always in lieu of cargo space. So if I go the "just need the car for wife and kids" route, the Q5 will suffice. To be honest, the price point is attractive (~$40K). I trade in my cars frequently and have lost WAAAY too much money making stupid decisions. So I'd rather not invest a lot in a car and am actually consdering leasing (this way I know how much I'm throwing away). The Q7 was nice, but was much pricer, but the room was nice. It didn't drive very well, but well enough considering the size of the car. Also have heard about reliability issues (just from a few sources). I did like the Q5 more than the Q7. For the Lexus, I thought it was too plain, and more of a mommy car. Plus rear hatch reduces storage space. My positive Lexus experiences told me a should still "take a look." Personal opinion is you can drive a Lexus forever (my sister still drives an RX330 with 200K miles) and my GS never had an issue (just got tired of it). I REALLY liked the Toyota Sequoia for what it was - a huge, gas guzzling, family hauler. But we decided that this would be the right car as a "3rd car" for the family. It'd be nice for me to keep the Porsche and to have this for a hauler, but I'm not sure if its a good idea to have that much money in all these cars. Sequoia was utilitarian - not much styling and not many design features - but a lot of power and a very practical car. But we decided against it. That means 2 cars were left - the X5 and the Acura MDX. I have to say, the MDX is a pretty nice SUV - a lot of features, 3rd row seating option, and nice discounts (MDX w/ Tech package for about $42K before TTL). I'm still debating, but honestly, the only reason why I don't go with the MDX is lack of "wow factor". The car is nice, looks nice, has great features, but simply fails to inspire me in any way, shape, or form. This is what I said about the Lexus GS, and it went bye-bye so I'm afraid it'd be the same here. That left the X5. I prefer the 35i over the 35d after driving them both. They aren't cheap cars as I've spec'd out versions from $49K to $62 (and everything in between). So here I am now, asking for some help to decide on which X5 to buy and what the best terms are.
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2012, 06:14 PM

Continued-

As I said before, this car is going to be for "family" use. Dealing with a child since birth in the Porsche hasn't been a joy, necessarily, and our other car is full of stains to remind us of how messy children could be. So I have no desire to spend a lot of money on ventilated seats and nice stuff that will be destroyed by children, milk, food, and baby seats. In this iphone era, I really don't care/ need navigation. Also, I do most of my driving to familiar places. The things we like/want for the x5 are very simple - power liftgate option, bluetooth, ipod compatibility, and rear man sunshade - and these are all available even on the base model. Leather? I don't need leather, I just need something that you can wipe easily. I also love that the base x5 pretty much looks the same as the x5 premium (except smaller wheels which can be addressed at a later time). In speaking with a dealer, I was told it was basically stupid to get a base model x5 - that if I bought it, noone would ever want it, and that if I leased it, I'd only save a few dollars. Is this true or are they pulling my leg? I looked at the features/ specs on the website and here is what you get for the EXTRA $7,700 - Nevada leather with 4 way lumbar support and heated seats (I never need heated seats in CA and have had them in many cars), wood trim interior (who cares), 19" wheels, panoramic moonroof, power adjust steering column, power tailgate, parking distance control. There may be a few things more, but those are what I saw when I read the features of each model. Is it worth it for me to get the premium? Also, how hard is it to order a base model - will anybody do this for me? (I spoke to 2 dealers who didnt seem very willing - they wanted me to purchase something off the lot). Also, if I choose to lease, will anyone order a car for lease? Lastly, I've been asking and it looks like all the programs/ rebates/ incentives are all gone now (there used to be quite a few). What should I expect to pay? The local dealers around orange county are saying $1-2K off MSRP while true car.com says a little more than that. If such is true than sacrificing to get a loaded MDX starts looking attractive. Any help/ comments/ questions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Man, can you find a paragraph??!

How long will you own this car? Own? Lease? Will you trade it in or sell it privately? That impacts the value proposition, and might be a factor in adding Nav.

Also, dealers are the LAST people you talk to about 'what are these selling for'... lots of pricing threads, but take invoice, subtract every possible incentive and credit, and add 500-1000 and that is an easy purchase. There are a few Sponsors here that will hook you up easy, jsut a few hours drive north (I think). Everyone wants to sell off the lot. Everyone will order ANYTHING BMW makes...
Old 07-30-2012, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xdrive35D
This may be heretic but have you considered a new Ford Explorer? I just saw one the other day and have to admit, they look nice. I kind of wished I would've looked at one prior to me getting my 35d just out of curiosity. A fully loaded limited edition econo looks to be at least $10K less than what I paid for my 35d premium. 3rd row, HID, 20/28 mpg, etc.

Ford Explorers are a dime a dozen here in Texas but so are X5s (at least in my neighborhood, especially black ones, sigh, like mine).

It is a bit shocking though that Explorers can go for the high 40s but I've never given them any thought until now.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d loaded
I'd definitely consider Tech package, mostly for the rear view camera, as car this size with kids in your driveway, you want to have camera!

I'd also recommend looking into Sport Package - you will get better seats (stock ones are too short for me, even though I am 5'10"), as well as thicker steering wheel - for me the thick steering wheel is huge deal over the stock thinner one. Might be the same for you since you happen to drive Porsche.

Dont go for just "basic" model, because you are not going to get much of that WOW factor... or you might as well just get MDX, which can also run forever into the ground until your kids are out to college.

When I lease or buy a car, I am typically fully load it with exception of "distracting" options (for me those are lane changer, HUD and dynamic cruise control)... Your lease price for base and fully loaded are not signficantly apart (I mean they are still in a few hundred per month, but you are getting an expensive car to begin with)... That is my theory.
Previous : 2010 335xi Monaco Blue/Black with just about every option...
Previous : 2008 X5 4.8i Space Gray/Black with just about every option...

Last edited by alexmish; 07-30-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi & '08 X3si
Why did you nix the Cayenne option?
Old 07-31-2012, 12:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5d
You got the right choice.
I did the same, driving all possible cars before deciding on X5. I'm not super exited driving my diesel in a stop and go traffic- may be problem with my style of driving! But a great car on highway though

If you are going to use this car mostly for short trips with kids for every day driving, I think 35i premium with convenience pack should do.

Reason why you did not consider Cayenne?

2012 X5d...with all possible pks & flowers...
Old 07-31-2012, 03:13 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
I have the base '12 35i and am very happy with it.

I get all of the substance--great turbo motor and 8-speed, 0-60 in 6.1, 6000 lb towing capacity for my vintage race car, motorcycles and keelboat, excellent gas mileage for what it is, excellent handling/sportiness for such a large vehicle, elegance--and don't care about the rest.

I paid $45k and consider that good value, adding another significant dimension to the pleasures of owning this fine SUV.

A camera is not necessary with the very adequate sensors with visual display. The sunroof sounds nice, but the car has a very large glass area as it is, and most of the time it stayed closed and shuttered (and rattled) on the ' 08 I had. Who needs nav with a smartphone? Complex electronics are the source of most of the problems with any modern car.

There is no one answer to all this. This is a very good answer for me. Simple pleasures.

Last edited by dcharnet; 07-31-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: E60, Porsche987, MB320
Go with the X5 gasser and you will be a happy camper!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Akim, you missed a couple of great choices there. The XC90 has a superior third row, yet does not feel like a "boat". The GM triplets -- Acadia Denali, Buick Enclave, Chev Traverse all have a much better third row and cargo capability than the Tahoe/Yukon/Esclade group. Finally have you considered the GX470, another great choice. In any event if you are looking for the "best deal and buying experience" go up the coast a bit to Santa Barbara and visit our fest founder Jon Shafer jon@Bimmerfest.com - you won't get a better deal on an X5. Good luck

Last edited by UncleJ; 07-31-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: What??
AKIM- I know you from another forum

Get the x5 lol
Old 07-31-2012, 08:34 AM

How about bare bone 35i + AD + spare tire should be <50k ?

Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11leven View Post
You got the right choice.
I did the same, driving all possible cars before deciding on X5. I'm not super exited driving my diesel in a stop and go traffic- may be problem with my style of driving! But a great car on highway though

Reason why you did not consider Cayenne?
Not to hi-jack this thread, but I'm curious what you mean about stop and go with the D. I agree about it being better on the highway by the way.

And I"m guessing the price is what eliminated the Cayenne....it did for me. Plus this is our only car, and my wife thinks Porsches are "over the top", and she'd be embarrassed to drive one.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Alot View Post
Not to hi-jack this thread, but I'm curious what you mean about stop and go with the D. I agree about it being better on the highway by the way.

And I"m guessing the price is what eliminated the Cayenne....it did for me. Plus this is our only car, and my wife thinks Porsches are "over the top", and she'd be embarrassed to drive one.
In city traffic my D is not zippy!
I feel a 2sec delay of power before it kicks inn and then time to stop at the next traffic light - on top it make significant engine noise at that speeds.
Dealer said 'working as designed'

OP is considering a bear bone with out any options, so price won't be an issues buying a stripped Cayenne!
Not that I'm suggesting to by a P

Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
11leven - the D does make more noise on idle, but I think it has an endearing quality to it. As for the delay on taking off, I also have noticed that, but it works much better if you slap it into Sports mode. IMO, the petrol version had a similar delay when I test drove it, and it also lacks the muscle of the D at highway speeds. I even read one review (Car and Driver maybe) that said the diesel with 6 speed tranny had LESS delay than the 35i. Diesel certainly isn't for everyone though, so it's important to thoroughly test it with and without.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Man, can you find a paragraph??!

How long will you own this car? Own? Lease? Will you trade it in or sell it privately? That impacts the value proposition, and might be a factor in adding Nav.

Also, dealers are the LAST people you talk to about 'what are these selling for'... lots of pricing threads, but take invoice, subtract every possible incentive and credit, and add 500-1000 and that is an easy purchase. There are a few Sponsors here that will hook you up easy, jsut a few hours drive north (I think). Everyone wants to sell off the lot. Everyone will order ANYTHING BMW makes...
I got excited and ended up with a long P... writing was never my strong suit..

I don't know how long I will own the car.. I always say "a long time" but it never ends up as such. My brother joked I'd be out of the pcar within 3 years... (I said it was my dream car and that I'd keep it forever). Right now, I'm thinkin of getting the family hauler and would hope to grab a used CPO 991 in a couple of years (off topic)

It hard to keep track of all the pricing threads, because the incentives have changes since I last "paid attention" to what was out there. But I'll look back. I should know better than to trust any salesperson...
Old 07-31-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinhster View Post
This may be heretic but have you considered a new Ford Explorer? I just saw one the other day and have to admit, they look nice. I kind of wished I would've looked at one prior to me getting my 35d just out of curiosity. A fully loaded limited edition econo looks to be at least $10K less than what I paid for my 35d premium. 3rd row, HID, 20/28 mpg, etc.

Ford Explorers are a dime a dozen here in Texas but so are X5s (at least in my neighborhood, especially black ones, sigh, like mine).

It is a bit shocking though that Explorers can go for the high 40s but I've never given them any thought until now.
looked at the explorer... just not feeling it..
Old 07-31-2012, 02:12 PM

Overall, I'm not big on the diesel cars yet. I was thinking of waiting till the next go-round before exploring that option... Also, most of our driving is city driving. The reason why I'm not big on options, is that I've gone that route on previous cars. Our Denali had every gadget/feature that to be honest, I didnt need or didnt use. The PCM navigation on the 997 is horrible so I just use my phone... only I drive the pcar so I dont need memory, and I never use heated seats... In my old age, I never listen the the radio loud (especially when daughter in car) or I'm listening to AM talk... But I do like some of the external features that add to the look of the car. The only comforts I do want - power liftgate (loved having that feature) and bluetooth (My older '06 997 didnt come with that option OEM).

Believe me, I really like the Cayenne (actually the Cayenne S). The S is out of the budget, given that we just purchased a house (expecting a lot of furniture purchase) and we have to do landscaping. The Cayenne was nice and I started looking into it, but BASE price really is BASE price. $3K for Tiptronic (cant go manual for the family ride), $2K for Bi-xenon, etc etc... the price isnt really the same as the X5. My X5 wishlist includes many things that are on the base model (or they aren't that much to add). I also agree with the post - the less electronic gadgetry the better for me. I've actually driven several Cayennes (including the Turbo) at some Porsche events, and they REALLY nice. We were out at Autoclub Speedway (infield) and what the instructors could do with it was amazing! All that being said, I'll save the money to one day get back into a regular pcar (even thinking 993)

I'm not big on the Volvos so we really havent looked at it. Don't like the look of the traverse lines of cars. Consumer perception is weird, I suppose - I just like some cars and don't like others. For some reason, the X5 looks very pleasing to me!

Just sent an email to our friend in SB to see what he can do for me...

Willha - ur name doesn't look familiar to me, but I use the same name on any board (6speed, RL, etc.)
Old 08-02-2012, 04:44 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi
Did you test drove x5 with third row seat, its kind of small and don't know if it will be comfortable for young kids .

Sent from my Crespo4G using Bimmer App
Old 08-02-2012, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: '12 X5d; '10 335; '09 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinhster View Post

....here in Texas but so are X5s (at least in my neighborhood, especially black ones, sigh, like mine).
Gig em

Last edited by strongarm73; 08-02-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Akim, hope Jon comes through for you -- I still like the Cayenne though, even the base with the new 8 speed. I looked at the "standard" features and aside from the 2K A/T the Cayenne seemed to have more base content than the X5 -- i.e. leather vice vinyl etc. There is no question that the BMW will be cheaper -- if only because of the discounting that Porsche just doesn't seem to do. I guess when you sell everything you get your hands on you can get away with it.