Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 50i, Infiniti G35
Thump/Thud while braking - failing driveshaft/transmission?

My recently-bought 2012 X5 50i makes a thud/thump when braking suddenly or reasonably hard. It is noticeable especially when the car comes to a complete stop, and then you accelerate a bit and press the brakes again immediately. Also noticeable when you brake suddenly (at any speed). I'd describe the sound as if a bowling ball in the trunk hit the rear seats.

The indy shop that did the PPI noted this in their inspection. When I took it to the dealer, they could not reproduce it (and neither could I). I have driven the vehicle enough to be able to repro it reliably now. I again took it to the dealership last week, and I demonstrated the thump to the foreman. He dismissed it saying that this was normal for E70s and E53s (something about too much torque on the driveshaft..), but still wanted to rule out suspension/bushings. As it seems to be common practice with many BMW dealers, their find was that everything was "normal" - no leaks/cracks in bushings and all alignment components were "tight". Apparently, they drove a couple of other "similar" vehicles, and found that they exhibited a thump too, when braking sometimes (see attached work order)

Does anyone else have a similar experience? is this normal? Or could this be a sign of impending failure of something major, like a driveshaft or transmission? this got me worried:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=733249

I'm taking the car back again in a couple of days. What should I ask them to inspect?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf invoice.pdf (1.63 MB, 23 views)

Last edited by bmwx5er; 12-08-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2014, 03:23 AM
Ja mei!

Mein Auto: X5
My wife's e90 made a similar noise:
I've been told to check these things:
- tie rod
- wishbone
- bushings

And what it actually was: engine mount bolts were busted.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRK View Post
My wife's e90 made a similar noise:
I've been told to check these things:
- tie rod
- wishbone
- bushings

And what it actually was: engine mount bolts were busted.
Could you elaborate on your experience, and conditions under which the noise was produced, please? There is no noise in my car under regular braking (like coming to a stop in the lights, for instance) and I'm quite certain that I hear it coming from the rear - bad engine bolts would mean noise coming from the front?
Old 12-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
torque converter lock up issue? Google this, see if other's reports of this symptom match your experience.

It is REALLY, REALLY hard to diagnose bushing issues by looking at them... actually impossible.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Ja mei!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post

It is REALLY, REALLY hard to diagnose bushing issues by looking at them... actually impossible.

... Unless they're leaking.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
torque converter lock up issue? Google this, see if other's reports of this symptom match your experience.

thanks ard. I did a search both at the forums and the internet for torque converter issues. The symptoms don't seem to match (however, they may be related to another issue that i'm observing - will start a separate thread on that).

Just before I purchased, the car appears to have had "rear brakes & pads maintenance" done - could any failing/improperly installed braking component cause the symptoms i'm seeing? Just to emphasize, I don't hear any noise when I brake normally (i.e. when I'm coasting to a stop). Its only when I brake suddenly/hard, I hear a loud "thud".

what should I be asking them to look at - if I go back with no additional info, i'm likely to receive the same "its normal" crap. This morning, I paid more attention to the noise, and it seemed like it was coming from somewhere under/right behind the driver's side seat (can't pin point).
Old 12-09-2014, 12:39 PM
Ja mei!

Does the driver seat have play and moves?
Old 12-09-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRK View Post
Does the driver seat have play and moves?
not that I've noticed. why do you ask? i'll pay more attention..

I've been driving the car turning off the stereo, and boy, I could hear a few little annoying creaks. but once you hit the highway, you forget the problems
Old 12-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Here's a schematic of the BMW XDrive system (e53). You can see all of the possible moving parts.

Consistent with other reports, possibilities I'm thinking:
- drive shaft universal joint
- transfer case
- so called "guibo" (rubber donut)

or ...

brake caliper or caliper bracket bolts that were not torqued properly when discs were replaced ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Xdrive schematic(5).JPG
Views:	19
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	480459   Click image for larger version

Name:	brake caliper and bracket.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	480463  
BMWCCA #20645