Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-01-2012, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 99 528iT, 93 325iS
Undertray for M5 bumper vs OE 528iT

Hi guys,

I feel dumb having to ask about this, but I am failing at figuring this one out on my own, and I know someone will have the answer for this stupid simple question!

Is there a difference between the M5 and 528iT (99 model year, 10/98 build) under tray? My wagon didn't come with a undertray, and I'd like to resolve that ASAP, but I will be doing an M5 bumper conversion shortly and don't like throwing money away. I am guessing its the same part for the undertray aspect of it, and it is simply the lower fender liners/'porkchops' that change, right?

While I'm asking dumb questions, can someone provide me the PN for the undertray? I am thinking its the un-numbered part in this diagram, but for a numbered part, maybe its #7 in this diagram.

Input much appreciated.

Thanks,
Roman
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
This stuff gets confusing so bear with me and let me know if you have any questions.

Short answer

The M undertray/splash guard/ bellypan is different than the one for your 528iT.

Long answer
Due to the M bumper sitting lower and the different shape of the M fender liners, the M belly pan is shaped differently than the standard non M version. The standard fender liners kind of interlock with the standard bellypan and since the M fender liners are shaped differently the M belly pan is not going to fit quite right with the standard fender liners. It will either be too long or too short on the sides. Also since the M5 bumper actually sits lower in the front and is a different shape the standard bellypan will not line up perfectly with the front bumper.

Recommendation
When you upgrade to the M bumpers you can decide what items you want to upgrade as far as the pork chops, fender liners and belly pan. A lot of people just keep their standard pork chops, fender liners and belly pan as the M versions are quite pricey. This means you have two options
  1. If you know you are going to upgrade the pork chops and fender liners to M versions then you should hold off on buying the standard belly pan now
  2. If you know you are going to keep your current pork chops then get the standard bellypan now

Note:
The there V8 and I6 M belly pans are shaped differently so if you order one you need one for an I6 car not the identical one that came on on the M5.

Oh and the realoem diagram in your 1st link is missing the line going from part #9 to the belly pan or engine screening as they call it. Bmw fans has the line http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3...trim/air_duct/. I am not sure why they list two non M versions with different part numbers though.

The second link you provided I think is some type of OEM skid plate (my best guess I am not quite sure what it is). I am not sure if it sits below the belly pan to offer more protection or if it is in place of the belly pan.

Last edited by Solo12; 08-01-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
So many of these threads, there should be a sticky.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 AM

Solo - Thank you sir! Great summary! I felt like the first diagram was missing a part, thanks for the bmwfans link. Second link looked like a skid plate or something to me as well, but I've never seen that on -any- e39 I've serviced (I was a tech before a car accident ended that). I will hold off until I get the M bumper, as I want the pork chops and such. Yes I saw the prices Proper fit is important to me tho.

BentValve - Agreed! I spent a while searching the forum and interwebs and didn't come up w a summary as conclusive as Solo's, so, yeah! Sticky would be great.

I was reading more about this today, as work was/is super slow and I want to do the swap eventually... Solo posted some awesome info and I'm going to cross post to this thread, as this thread comes up on google when you search 528 undertray, even if on a computer that has never seen this site before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo12 View Post
I am not sure if Roman was referring to original non Mtech or original Mtech fender liners. A lot of people just do the bumpers and leave everything else as is, other people like me go the full Mtech route and replace everything with Mtech specific or M5 parts. So the short answer is you have 3 options for fender liners
  1. OEM 528 standard fender liners
  2. OEM Mtech fender liners
  3. OEM M5 fender liners (same as Mtech but lack the cut out for ducting air to the brakes)

This link has a pics of Mtech fender liners, 530 fender liners and M5 fender liners. The Mtech ones are the 1st ones pictured ignore the caption then are not M5 fender liners those are the ones pictured without a cutout.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=37

Long Answer
Just to give you some background after BMW developed the M5 they offered an Mtech body kit as an option on any e39 for the rest of the world. In the US the 2003 540i sports were the only e39s that got the Mtech kit. The Mtech had a couple of slight differences from the M5 one of those was on the Mtech there were a couple of pieces that allowed to enter from the bumper grill mesh and vent to the brakes. On the m5 the grill mesh was blocked and the fender liners did not have the cut out to let the air reach the brakes.

Also just so you know there are a bunch of other pieces that are specific to the Mtech/M5 kits versus the standard 528 such as the front engine cover (aka belly pan), the fender liner support/ducts (aka pork chops), brake cooling ducts (L&R), alternator air duct (specific to 525/528/530 also requires a specific fog light frame to get air to that duct).

Whether any or all of that stuff if necessary depends on what type of fitment you want for your bumper, how picky you are in terms of going for a certain look and how much you are willing to spend. The brake ducting is not actually necessary to cool the brakes so don't feel you have to get them to keep the brakes cool. The alternator ducting might be a good idea to be on the safe side, but I think a lot of people don't bother with it. The Mtech belly pan and Mtech/M5 fender liners fit together and the pock chops provide support for both of those items. One thing I can tell you is the Mtech/M5 fender liners cost way more than the standard ones. You are talking $90+ each for the Mtech/M5 ones versus $20 for the standard ones or free if your current ones are in good shape.

If you do decide to go for any of those parts I highly recommend tischer BMW aka getbmwparts.com I ordered all my parts from them and their service and prices were great. I have not dealt with them myself, but ECS tuning might be another good source I know they have posted in some of the M bumper threads in the past.

As far as a parts list goes a member created a pretty good list a while back for a 540. Check out post #40 I updated his list for a 528. You can pick and choose what parts you want from that list.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=fender&page=2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo12 View Post
Your info is a little confused or maybe I am not understanding you.

1) The sink drains are aftermarket I think everyone agrees on that.

2) The webbing on the grid for the T grill is open we agree on that. However the webbing of the T grill has a raised ridge where the T grill snaps onto the webbing. See the horizontal line and little vertical line on the pic you posted of the grill? It is part # 51-11-2-495-280 same as you have pictured. Here is another pic without the plastic.

3) The M5 specific grill part # 51 11 2 496 285 is different. You say it has air openings I disagree. Even when I look up a 2003 european M5 in realoem and bmw fans the 285 is the only grill mesh listed.
Here is a pic of it

4) The US M5 came with fender liners without the duct cutout part #s 51-71-2-498-989 & 51-71-2-498-990. M5 owners had to cut out a hole themselves. Check out bmw tips for a detailed write up of the two diff fender liner options when upgrading to m bumpers. Here is a pic of the M5 fender liner

5) The fender liners you pictured are part #s 51-71-2-694-899 & 51-71-2-694-832. The only diff is they have a cutout otherwise they are identical. They were not oem equipment on the USA M5s. They were oem equipment on the USA 2003 540 sport cars and probably on any European/rest of the world M-technic optioned e39s. I am not sure which fender lines European/rest of the world M5s got, but my comment was about USA M5s. If bmwfans and RealOEM are correct it looks like they (European/rest of the world M5s) got the ones without cut outs too.

6) Not really sure about your comment on only 6clys e39 having closed ducts. I think some did some did not. But their fender liners were a different shape (they mounted differently to the belly pan). My 2003 530 came with factory venting for the brakes. Here is a pic of my fender liner, plastic duct (aka pork chop) and plastic air channel. See how the bottom of it is much smaller and lacks mounting holes that the m5 & m-technic versions have? It interlocks with the non M belly pan whereas the m5 & m-technic versions screw into the m5/ m-technic specific belly pan.

Last edited by SiGmA_X; 08-02-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 PM

Haha. Yeah I have done a lot of posts on bumpers because I learned a lot when I did a ton of research on them before I did my conversion.

Also bimmerforums member yersole was gracious enough to post a pic of his car with an standard non M belly pan with an M5 bumper and M fender liners on his 540.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ighlight=belly

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PhotoJul20125314PM.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	335363  

Last edited by Solo12; 08-03-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:24 PM

Any pics of the M5 bumper w standard pork chops/under tray?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:17 PM

There might be one floating around the forums somewhere. I know a lot of people do the conversion and keep the standard pork chops and standard belly pan, but people usually don't post pics. Those fender liners are not going to sit as low so you would not see them sitting below the bumper like the M versions do.

Just fyi here is the best shot I have of an M belly pan with M fender liners (Oscswa's old car). You can see how the M belly pan hangs lower than the standard one on Yersole's car in post #5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_0406bumper0123.JPG
Views:	517
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	335385  
Old 08-03-2012, 08:29 PM

Well I have 1.5 pork chops and 0.0 belly pans. I'll pick up the bumper, fit it, and go from there. If I don't like how the pork chop fits, I'll get M ones. The cost difference is a bit of a deterrence but proper fit is worth it.