Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 04-07-2013, 06:59 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
I suppose there's a 1st time for everything.

As some folks here know, I'm considering purchasing a pre-owned M3. I've looked at a few and taken some test drives. The other day, I received an email from an Audi dealership in the area from which I have purchased cars in the past and I noticed that they had two '11 S5 convertibles priced in the mid-$40s and with relatively low miles. So, yesterday I went to take a look...My attention gravitated to one that was fully loaded and had about 16K on the odometer. The salesman gave me the key and the moment I stepped inside the car I could tell that it had been a smoker's car. Not only have I never smoked, but my eyes and sinuses react severely whenever I am in the presence of any type of cigarette smoke...including residue. The salesman immediately acknowledged this condition when I remarked regarding the presence of cigarette smoke residue and said they could eliminate it. I happen to know that's virtually impossible. What was puzzling to me was that this car was being sold as a CPO from an Audi dealership and, because of the strong presence of smoke residue, it was hardly in "as" or "like" new condition. Appearance-wise, the car was immaculate. Anyway, curiosity satisfied! The S5 is nice, but the M3 is better...at least in my opinion. What was puzzling, and why I'm sharing my experience, is that this car was being marketed in the condition it was in. Having had some considerable experiences with German made convertibles, I know that such cars virtually seal like vaults and that smoke residue had permeated all the carpeting, leather, and plastic in that car.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Ads by Google
Old 04-07-2013, 07:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '10 740Li
once a smokers car, always a smokers car.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i M-Sport Soon
I travel 45 weeks of the year all over the country and am in a different Avis rental car every week. At the first hint of smoke I will take the time to go stand in line (I'm Preferred so I just get off the shuttle and walk to my car avoiding all lines) and ask for another car. Supposedly the cars are all non-smoking but that's in theory. I can sniff it out instantly no matter how much masking chemicals are used to cover it up.

You couldn't give me a 2012 Porsche 911 that was a smoker's car becuase I couldn't drive it and it would just take up space.

Good as new? Wow! Are they kidding? I'd rather it had been in three accidents.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '10 740Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD5150 View Post
I travel 45 weeks of the year all over the country and am in a different Avis rental car every week. At the first hint of smoke I will take the time to go stand in line (I'm Preferred so I just get off the shuttle and walk to my car avoiding all lines) and ask for another car. Supposedly the cars are all non-smoking but that's in theory. I can sniff it out instantly no matter how much masking chemicals are used to cover it up.

You couldn't give me a 2012 Porsche 911 that was a smoker's car becuase I couldn't drive it and it would just take up space.

Good as new? Wow! Are they kidding? I'd rather it had been in three accidents.
Yeap you're 100% correct. I see smoking as equivalent to both homicide and suicide. The same also happens with hotel rooms. I don't understand how people don't see smoking as an assault on my rights.