Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
2006 E65 750i 4E86 code: Solenoid Valve 3 (Inter lock)

Picked up 2006 BMW 750i, was sitting for 8 months. Owner doesn't know anything about the history of the vehicle but thinks transmission is bad. So the problem is the transmission will not go into reverse sometimes but if it does I have to hold gas pedal to keep it in the gear. Always goes into drive but after one second goes into park unless I hold the gas pedal. Has warning message something about gear can be shifted without pressing the brake. When I scanned it with Autel scanner it gave me bunch of codes because the battery was dead, I erased them but one code can't be cleared it always stays there and it is the 4E86 Solenoid Valve 3 (inter lock). Anybody have any ideas? Already checked the ATF, level and condition is still good. Somebody told me it could be the electronic connector adapter sleeve. Plan to do it in the next few days. Other than that I'm lost, I work with bimmers here and there for 5 years already but seeing this code for the first time.
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2016, 11:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750li
How did you check the ATF level?

Possibly bad solenoid(s) on the mechatronic inside the tranny pan.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romey-Rome View Post
How did you check the ATF level?

Possibly bad solenoid(s) on the mechatronic inside the tranny pan.
I checked level underneath the car with hot engine, running through the fill plug.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Lion View Post
I checked level underneath the car with hot engine, running through the fill plug.
Sounds legit. Just making sure.

You can try changing the sleeve, but to do that, you're half way to your solenoids. If sleeve doesn't fix it, you gotta do it all over again. If doing the sleeve, may as well drop the mechatronic and replace the bridge seal (valve body seal). Maybe solenoid(s) if you choose to.

I hate doing the same thing twice, so I'd just do it all at once. I've seen solenoid packs for like $400~ on ebay.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romey-Rome View Post
Sounds legit. Just making sure.

You can try changing the sleeve, but to do that, you're half way to your solenoids. If sleeve doesn't fix it, you gotta do it all over again. If doing the sleeve, may as well drop the mechatronic and replace the bridge seal (valve body seal). Maybe solenoid(s) if you choose to.

I hate doing the same thing twice, so I'd just do it all at once. I've seen solenoid packs for like $400~ on ebay.
Well my budy has same car for parts so I'll just swap the valve bodies and replace the adapter seals and we'll see if it'll be better.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:14 AM

I want a spare parts car
Old 04-13-2016, 11:07 PM

ok, dropped the valve body today and discovered broken valve body adapter seal, replaced with the new one, also changed the sleeve adapter. Now the car drives and shifts good but the code is still in the system. I'll drive it for couple days and see what's gonna happen.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:16 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 05' 760li,94' H1,08'Smart
[QUOTE=Siberian Lion;9626614]ok, dropped the valve body today and discovered broken valve body adapter seal, replaced with the new one, also changed the sleeve adapter. Now the car drives and shifts good but the code is still in the system. I'll drive it for couple days and see what's gonna happen.[/

Drive the car over to a local parts store and have them scanned the car and reset the code. They usually do this for free. It will also show you if there are any hidden codes that don't show up in the inexpensive ScanTools. Just my two cents worth.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:28 AM

Thanks. I have my own scanner. I meant that this code can't be erased. I tried with Autel scanner. It might be permanent code that will go away once the computer doesn't see the problem anymore.

P.S. parts stores in Cali don't do code scans anymore, it's against the law now to touch the car without work order.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I have my own scanner. I meant that this code can't be erased. I tried with Autel scanner. It might be permanent code that will go away once the computer doesn't see the problem anymore.

P.S. parts stores in Cali don't do code scans anymore, it's against the law now to touch the car without work order.
Very possible. The other way to do it is disconnect the battery for 15 minutes. But most likely you had it disconnected when you did the transmission work.

What a shame. Auto parts store used to make money just by scanning the car, and then sell the parts the people needed.

Now you know why I live on this side of the border. I can be in San Diego in 2 1/2 hours, enjoy the area, and get out before the politics get me.

Last edited by Rick in Yuma; 04-14-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Quote:
ok, dropped the valve body today and discovered broken valve body adapter seal, replaced with the new one, also changed the sleeve adapter. Now the car drives and shifts good but the code is still in the system. I'll drive it for couple days and see what's gonna happen.
Did you swap the valve body as well? Or at least the interlock solenoid?
Old 09-11-2016, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 04 745Li
I know this is old but what happened?

I have 4E86 solenoid valve 3 Open Circuit fault currently present. It's a hard fault.

I see solenoid valves B2460_GSEDSN.

I plain on servicing the trans and was wondering if I can replace solenoid 3 by itself.

Anyone have a layout of the solenoids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2016, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 745li
I have a solenoid b low circuit code and car went into transmission failsafe mode and will not go into any gear
Old 09-17-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swif View Post
I know this is old but what happened?

I have 4E86 solenoid valve 3 Open Circuit fault currently present. It's a hard fault.

I see solenoid valves B2460_GSEDSN.

I plain on servicing the trans and was wondering if I can replace solenoid 3 by itself.

Anyone have a layout of the solenoids?

Solenoid layout page number five in this document.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...7&d=1291335701
Old 09-17-2016, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 04 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Yuma View Post
Solenoid layout page number five in this document.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...7&d=1291335701

Thank you

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search