Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M-Sport 6 speed
BMW will now code your Auto Stop/Start to default to last user mode - SIB/TSB info

So everyone in awhile I decide to check out BMWTIS and see what bulletins have been released......

SI B12 15 12

INFORMATION
The Automatic Start/Stop (MSA) system is a further BMW Efficient Dynamics measure aimed at meeting BMW’s commitment to reducing CO2 emissions and enhancing fuel economy.

BMW, always a leader in innovative technology, will be the first automobile manufacturer to bring MSA technology to all new models.

Automatic Start/Stop systems will become prevalent in the future, as manufacturers strive to meet increasingly stringent emissions and fuel economy requirements.

By automatically switching the engine off when the car is stationary, MSA can improve fuel economy and reduce emissions.

New F-vehicles now incorporate the second generation of MSA (MSA II), which has been further developed to operate in combination with an automatic transmission and the BN2020 electrical system.

A detailed description of the MSA Automatic Start/Stop function can be found in the ICP Technician library under Technical Training course ST1112.

SITUATION
Some drivers have expressed the desire to deactivate this function in certain situations. This can be done manually via the Automatic Start/Stop function button with the LED switched on, indicating that the start/stop function is deactivated.

However, by default, the Automatic Start/Stop function is reactivated each time the engine is started.

At the request of an owner, it is possible to modify this default logic to “Last user mode.”

With this logic, the current MSA’s activated or deactivated setting is stored and used on the next trip.

Note: All new BMW M models have the “Last user mode” as the default setting from production.

PROCEDURE
Explain the benefits of the MSA technology to the customer:

The environmental benefit of reduced greenhouse gases and the financial benefit of improved fuel economy

The attachment is a document that you can share with customers, which provides an overview and answers to some of the most commonly asked questions. It should be given to all customers at the time of sale, and placed inside service loaner vehicles equipped with MSA.

Should a customer still request “Last user mode,” submit a PuMA case entitled “Activate MSA memory conversion.”

The IBAC code necessary to perform this conversion will be provided in the response to the PuMA case.

Using the latest version of ISTA/P, perform the conversion “Activate MSA memory,” along with a complete vehicle coding and any required programming as determined in the measures plan.

Upon successful completion of the measures plan, the option OMSA is added to the vehicle order.

Note: When the ISTA system message displays: Battery voltage only “XX.XX” V. Please connect charger. Please note the displayed battery voltage reading in the repair order comments section.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
The conversion procedure outlined above can be submitted for reimbursement, one time on eligible vehicles, during the BMW New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty coverage period of 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
12/04/2002 ED - 330i SGY 6SPD
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2012, 12:11 AM

Mein Auto: AH5 "13
Half the time this thing doesn't even work properly for me so i just got rid of it,
Old 08-02-2012, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCarBuying View Post
Half the time this thing doesn't even work properly for me so i just got rid of it,
how did you do that other than pressing the little magic button before starting the car.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:45 AM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Thank god... now we can stop all the ASS bitching.
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 08-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
So which vehicles have MSA II? I'm guessing 2013s?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_msu View Post
So everyone in awhile I decide to check out BMWTIS and see what bulletins have been released......

SI B12 15 12

INFORMATION
The Automatic Start/Stop (MSA) system is a further BMW Efficient Dynamics measure aimed at meeting BMW’s commitment to reducing CO2 emissions and enhancing fuel economy.

BMW, always a leader in innovative technology, will be the first automobile manufacturer to bring MSA technology to all new models.

Automatic Start/Stop systems will become prevalent in the future, as manufacturers strive to meet increasingly stringent emissions and fuel economy requirements.

By automatically switching the engine off when the car is stationary, MSA can improve fuel economy and reduce emissions.

New F-vehicles now incorporate the second generation of MSA (MSA II), which has been further developed to operate in combination with an automatic transmission and the BN2020 electrical system.

A detailed description of the MSA Automatic Start/Stop function can be found in the ICP Technician library under Technical Training course ST1112.

SITUATION
Some drivers have expressed the desire to deactivate this function in certain situations. This can be done manually via the Automatic Start/Stop function button with the LED switched on, indicating that the start/stop function is deactivated.

However, by default, the Automatic Start/Stop function is reactivated each time the engine is started.

At the request of an owner, it is possible to modify this default logic to “Last user mode.”

With this logic, the current MSA’s activated or deactivated setting is stored and used on the next trip.

Note: All new BMW M models have the “Last user mode” as the default setting from production.

PROCEDURE
Explain the benefits of the MSA technology to the customer:

The environmental benefit of reduced greenhouse gases and the financial benefit of improved fuel economy

The attachment is a document that you can share with customers, which provides an overview and answers to some of the most commonly asked questions. It should be given to all customers at the time of sale, and placed inside service loaner vehicles equipped with MSA.

Should a customer still request “Last user mode,” submit a PuMA case entitled “Activate MSA memory conversion.”

The IBAC code necessary to perform this conversion will be provided in the response to the PuMA case.

Using the latest version of ISTA/P, perform the conversion “Activate MSA memory,” along with a complete vehicle coding and any required programming as determined in the measures plan.

Upon successful completion of the measures plan, the option OMSA is added to the vehicle order.

Note: When the ISTA system message displays: Battery voltage only “XX.XX” V. Please connect charger. Please note the displayed battery voltage reading in the repair order comments section.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
The conversion procedure outlined above can be submitted for reimbursement, one time on eligible vehicles, during the BMW New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty coverage period of 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
Is there any chance you would be so kind as to post the link to the SIB? I need to print it out and hand it to the dealer (who will insist it cannot be done). They will question the authenticity of the SIB unless I can also email them a link.

On another point, this looks either like BMW responding to customers or a "retreat" on the whole Efficient Dynamics thing.

I just got back from an ED. It cost me about $125 to fill up my F30 335i. We drove 1134 miles on three fill-ups, averaging 30.3mpg. Much of it was highway driving, but at a fast clip (avg 80mph). In the City, I used ASS to save gas. It works, if a bit roughly.
Redelivered: 2012-09-12
Old 08-02-2012, 10:19 AM

you can access that SIB on www.bmwtis.com It is a subsciption-based website, I usually buy a pass for 24 hrs once a year. I think if you tell the dealer the SIB number they will able to access it.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: AH5 "13
For some strange reason on mine, start stop always works fine on comfort mode, but when i use eco pro mode it never activates

I just got rid of it when i turn on the car,
Old 08-02-2012, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
It's not clear to me whether we can Activate MSA memory conversion only on MSA II or all MSA systems? I hope it's all.

Please post if you have had your dealer successfully convert MSA I. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:05 PM

Since the 3 series is utilizing F-chassis I assume this applies to vehicles.

"New F-vehicles now incorporate the second generation of MSA (MSA II), which has been further developed to operate in combination with an automatic transmission and the BN2020 electrical system."
Old 08-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

I guess the question is when did production switch over to MSAII? Did it happen when F30 production resumed in July or did it just happen from the date that the bulletin came out?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:23 PM

Good thing I saved the SIB to pdf....this leads me to believe that its should be applicable to even 2012 F30's

"MODEL - All with MSA II from 09/2011"
Old 08-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Ah, re-reading it it does appear that MSAII was designed to interface with the automatic.

I will probably have this TSB done on my car when I get it in a few weeks, would be nice to simply have it remember the last choice of start/stop, I know my wife hated the feature.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:02 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCarBuying View Post
For some strange reason on mine, start stop always works fine on comfort mode, but when i use eco pro mode it never activates

I just got rid of it when i turn on the car,
From what I've heard this is the way it's supposed to work. You might want to check your manual to confirm this.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d MSport
Mine activates in all modes pretty consistently...

2014 328d M-Sport ED: 5/2/2014
2013 F30 Activehybrid3 MSport (Gone)
2012 F30 328i Sportline (Gone)
Old 08-02-2012, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktctr View Post
Mine activates in all modes pretty consistently...
on an AT, not in Manual mode and not if put the clutch in for a manual.

There's hope that MSA II is used in all US bound cars! What model in the US was first to adopt MSA?

Last edited by bimmerized; 08-02-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: error
Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Tomjh4

Mein Auto: 2012BMW F30 328i luxury l
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
I guess the question is when did production switch over to MSAII? Did it happen when F30 production resumed in July or did it just happen from the date that the bulletin came out?
I just received a 2012 f30. I test drove one of the first f 30s in Miami and it seems the auto shut down is smoother in mine than the first one I drove.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 128 Convertible
Thank you so much for posting this service bulletin - I almost went on an impossible search for a 2012 X3 to get it without that feature. Thankfully the sales guy actually looked up the service code and found out that he could have my new X3 coded before I pick it up. There is actually a charge of $280, which he is waiving! Of course there is a charge, right? Anyway, just wanted to say, "Thanks!"
Old 09-24-2012, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Lexus ES 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwelch888 View Post
Thank you so much for posting this service bulletin - I almost went on an impossible search for a 2012 X3 to get it without that feature. Thankfully the sales guy actually looked up the service code and found out that he could have my new X3 coded before I pick it up. There is actually a charge of $280, which he is waiving! Of course there is a charge, right? Anyway, just wanted to say, "Thanks!"
if its the first time its covered but any changes after this is a charge. Not sure if its the same deal when it comes to the X3.

Delivered!! Order in June 22, 2012. PCD, 2013 335i xDrive Sedan, Mineral Grey Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum with Black Highlight Trim, Black Leatherette w/Red Highlight, Dynamic Handling Package, Tech Package, Sport Transmission w/ Paddle Shifter, Rearview Camera, Park Distance Control, Htd Front Seats & HK Audio.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:48 PM

for those of you who have got the ASS turned off, Can you let me know if this is how yours work?

1. If I have the car in comfort mode (default mode on startup), and i turn off ASS (LED lit), turn off the car and turn it back on, the system remains off (LED lit)
2. If I have the car running and switch to ECO Pro, the ASS turns on (LED off). if I shut off the car and turn it back on, ASS is now on (LED off)

So is the idea that if I switch to ECO Pro ASS turns on? I was under the impression that if it was turned off (LED on), it remains off regardless of the driving mode I choose. I havent tested with sport modes yet.

Thanks,

Delivered!! Order in June 22, 2012. PCD, 2013 335i xDrive Sedan, Mineral Grey Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum with Black Highlight Trim, Black Leatherette w/Red Highlight, Dynamic Handling Package, Tech Package, Sport Transmission w/ Paddle Shifter, Rearview Camera, Park Distance Control, Htd Front Seats & HK Audio.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf30 View Post
for those of you who have got the ASS turned off, Can you let me know if this is how yours work?

1. If I have the car in comfort mode (default mode on startup), and i turn off ASS (LED lit), turn off the car and turn it back on, the system remains off (LED lit)
2. If I have the car running and switch to ECO Pro, the ASS turns on (LED off). if I shut off the car and turn it back on, ASS is now on (LED off)

So is the idea that if I switch to ECO Pro ASS turns on? I was under the impression that if it was turned off (LED on), it remains off regardless of the driving mode I choose. I havent tested with sport modes yet.

Thanks,
1) Correct.
2) Correct.

Selecting ECO Pro mode always turn ASS back on. That's the new "last" setting if you turn your car off.

Sport mode does not change the ASS memory setting (on or off).

Only the ASS button or ECO Pro mode turns ASS on and only the button turns ASS off.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogmanF30 View Post
1) Correct.
2) Correct.

Selecting ECO Pro mode always turn ASS back on. That's the new "last" setting if you turn your car off.

Sport mode does not change the ASS memory setting (on or off).

Only the ASS button or ECO Pro mode turns ASS on and only the button turns ASS off.
Thanks. that helps

Old 09-24-2012, 09:12 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf30 View Post
Thanks. that helps
iDrive assumes that if you want EcoPro mode you definitely want ASS too so it turns it back on. All other modes it 'sticks' the way you left it. I toggle between Sport and Comfort all day, never affects the ASS setting. I don't use EcoPro or ASS, ever.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 09-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i
Im going to try and get this reprogram done at a BMW dealership I didnt get my car. If they dont know about it, do I let them know about "SI B12 15 12"? And it seems like its a free reprogram.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by virus86 View Post
Im going to try and get this reprogram done at a BMW dealership I didnt get my car. If they dont know about it, do I let them know about "SI B12 15 12"? And it seems like its a free reprogram.
Yes. And you'll likely need to speak to the manager of the service department as the first two people you speak with won't believe you.

For me, I literally had to show them a thread from this forum along with the bulletin number just to get them to take me seriously. I even had the sales manager offer me the name/number of a local coding guy who could take care of me unofficially.

Go there with a copy of the bulletin and have this thread open in your phone just in case. You'll have to be persistent as it's a new car and a new feature and something the service departments have very little experience with. It's free of charge. You should get a loaner for the day too.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House