Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-18-2015, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: e39 530i sport
E39 530i engine change help needed

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BimmerApp mobile app
Hello I have to change engine in my BMW as bottom end gone and I need all the help and advice I can get. I need to take the auto box out with engine and put auto box onto manual engine. I need to know how to go about this engine change, step by step instructions and pics to help would be great. Will I need special tools ? Wat problems will I encounter? Etc need as much advice as possible. Thanku reece
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2015, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to the E39 5 series forum, you will get more help in here. I did a quick search for you and found this -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=584570

Good luck, this is a huge project!

Tim
Old 02-18-2015, 07:48 AM

Thank you very much and yes its gunna be a big job. Biggest I've done so need as much advice as poss

Old 02-18-2015, 10:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Get a copy of the Bentley E39 service manual. Whilst it only cover North American models, there is still a good deal of information that will help you.

You should also post you question on the UK forums.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: '99 540i
And perhaps post questions in stages as it is far too much to post all at one time. There are also MANY vids on Youtube that cover huge amounts of this. I suggest studying as much as possible before you begin.

Haven't done it, but saw a vid of a shop dropping the whole engine/trans/subframe all in one shot. They of course had a lift, but also a carrier that cradled the whole thing including the disc brakes. Looked like a nice way to handle it, but as I said, I have not done this so...

doc

Last edited by MKJS; 02-18-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:05 PM

Thanks, I am using best of my time now researching, my issues are ....
Best way to about taking lump and box out, ethier dropping subframe completely or lowering abit and pulling it out as apparently people have trouble clearing the rack?

The air con as don't know anything really about air con.

Putting my auto box onto the manual engine, now I know I need to remove flywheel and sprigot off manual engine and put tourqe converter on but do I need special tools and is it just as simple as that or is there more I need to do ?

Also any tips and problems people have had when changing engine

Thanks reece

Old 02-18-2015, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: '99 540i
Not sure. Haven't seen anyone who wants to put an auto in replacement for a stick. Usually it's the other way around. You're in for a bumpy ride with that swap I think. IOM, changing the engine out is a large job by itself.