Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 12-07-2011, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 740i
For Sale 2001 740iL with 72k

2001 BMW 740iL For Sale. Low miles, Excellent condition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm putting up my brother's 2001 740iL for sale
72k on it currently (used for long trips).

A little about the car:
Its Black/black. No accidents. Clean title. Exterior in beautiful condition. Interior looks new because we barely use it. Never seen snow. Manufactured 06/01. Mechanically perfect. Steering lines and battery have just been replaced. Battery only 2 month old. Everything has been kept factory on this car and there no issues at all. Cold weather package, voice activated navigation, widescreen, mk3 navigation, factory tints, car phone integrated.
Currently located in NY. Selling for $10,500 neg. Please e-mail if interested ccvideos@yahoo.com

Here's some pictures:

And yes this car has:

Xenon Lights
Moonroof
Infrared windshield
Premimum 16way adjustable seats (with lumbar)
Premium Sound System
Telephone
Voice activated Widescreen Navigation
Heated front seats
Heated rear seats
Rear ski bag
CD changer
Windows UP & Down via key (Euro Coding)
ETC...

Everything under the hood is factory (NO MODS) and runs like a dream.

Last edited by beamer23; 12-07-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-03-2012, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 740i
Aux cooling fan

I am still having trouble getting the Aux. Electric fan to work. I have bought three different used fans, and none of them seem to work. I got some information on how to check that system out, and it was excellent, but unfortunately I am not equiped to do that kind of work. MI have taken it to a garage that is supposed to be experts on BMW`s, and have served me well in the past, but even he cannot determine if the fan is good or bad,.....The old fan would try to work, then sei ze up and blow the 40A fuse, but non of the fans I have tried have done that. Nor have they worked....Next move. I guess a brand new fan, but I hate to do that if I can`t figure out if there is power to it.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 740i
First, I don't know why you posted under this forsale post. I'm going to delete this post because the car was sold a long time ago. Are you the new owner of this car?

This question belongs to the regular forums but anyhow...
The auxiliry fan on any 99-01 740il uses pulse generation system to run. You can NOT test these fans unless they are plugged into the car.

Early model Aux fans have multiple wires that feed resistors to determine the speed. Applying power between ground (the brown wire) and one of the other wires should see the fan spinning.

1999-2001 models use an electronic control system which you will find difficult to test as they use pulse width modulation on a single wire to determine speed. If you only have three wires, then you have this model.

The only way to test a new fan is either:
1. get car to operating temperature on a hot day and turn on AC button. Then it usually turns on after a few mins.

2. If the above step doesn't work, then remove the engine fan and turn on the ac.

Bottom line. to test the aux fan the car has to reach a certain temperature. Coolant temp should be 118deg F + (i believe)

PS. An easy way to determine if an aux fan is good or bad is to check it's resistance with an OHM meter. A broken one will have OHM of ~3 while a working one has ~6 (or viceversa I can't remember exactly).