Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 08-01-2012, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: Nissan Maxima
e38 Sunroof Leaking. Any Help In Atlanta?

This car has been a nightmare. Latest is that I had the headliner repaired. The guy TOTALLY screwed it up. Had to take it to another guy and pay extra to have it done right and have the first guy's work repaired.

The first guy also messed up something in the sunroof and now it leaks. The second guy told me he could try to repair the leak but no guarantees. So now it looks really good but it still leaks.

Anyone have any ideas on anyone in the Atlanta area who does this sort of work? Leak detection and repair? Or, if you're from out of town, do you know what type of companies do this type of work? I can't find anyone who'll touch it. Of course, I haven't called a dealership yet. I will if I have to but I can't imagine how much that will cost me.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Ads by Google
Old 08-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Playing Mechanic At Home

Send a message via AIM to ou18 Send a message via Yahoo to ou18
Mein Auto: 1997 740 IL
Where is it leaking? Is the headliner wet front or back?

There are drain tubes between the headliner and the Sunroof. They attach to the sunroof and drain excess water away down the front pillars and rear out of the car. I had a similar issue on the passenger side, where during rain it would soak the headliner. All you have to do to check it is drop the headliner enuff to see the tubes.

Here is a write up from E38.org... You can definitely check this yourself and save some money.. It maybe that your drain tubes are disconnected from the headliner fix...Or cracked.. Very easy fix if you find that to be the issue..Note when I did mine, i didnt pull the entire headliner out. I just got it dropped far enuff to give my hand access.. I havent had a leak since i reconnected them..

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/26759

good luck

1997 Black 740IL (w\ badass Phone in console)

Last edited by ou18; 08-01-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750iL
Has your windscreen been replaced? Care is required with the volume of sealant for that job, as an excess has been known to block the sunroof drain outlets...