Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: X-3 2.5I
Rear BMW logo

I have an '04 X-3, bought new, with a list of things gone wrong (including complete failure of the AC system). Recently the Logo decal on the rear cargo lid came off (the front logo came off during warranty). The dealer quoted $53 for the part, another $55 labor, or about $115 for the job. I declined repair, thinking why should I pay for advertising BMW? At any rate has anyone had the same problem, and any suggestions? BW
Ads by Google
Old 08-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
They don't call them "Stealers" for nothing. You can buy the roundels for cheap online in a myriad of places for a few dollars. The hood roundel is easy to swap but the rear takes a bit more labor to remove. Still very much a DIY job.

Here's an example of a listing for two on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BMW-ROUN...3ac694&vxp=mtr
Old 08-02-2012, 04:10 PM

Thanks. I'll check these out...and, yes, "stealers" is quite appropriate. BW
Old 08-03-2012, 03:37 AM

Mein Auto: X3 Msport, 95 M3 & E39
I never understand the thought process about calling dealerships stealers. So do you think all dealerships are that way or that you call them that because they wont fix your car for free. I agree some dealerships charge to much but its a business that needs to make money like any other company. I think grocery stores charge to much but I don't constantly bitch about it like people do on the forums about dealers. Fact is the manufactures are as much to blame with cutting warranty labor times drastically. This has created dealers to make up the difference with customer pay jobs.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:25 PM
MotorPress.ca

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madtown View Post
I never understand the thought process about calling dealerships stealers. So do you think all dealerships are that way or that you call them that because they wont fix your car for free. I agree some dealerships charge to much but its a business that needs to make money like any other company. I think grocery stores charge to much but I don't constantly bitch about it like people do on the forums about dealers. Fact is the manufactures are as much to blame with cutting warranty labor times drastically. This has created dealers to make up the difference with customer pay jobs.
Bottom line, if you dont like dealer prices, dont go there, just as you would do with any other service providing company you think is not worth you being a client.

But, I must add, dealerships are individually owned, and all the profit from the service department goes to the owner's pocket.

I understand there is a pricing guideline set from the manufacturer, but dealerships are very different amongst them.

Not all rip you off, not all are bad. Some do and some are.

For the record, I go to my indy shop cause i like getting my hands dirty as well as saving bucks, but dont hate dealers.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:37 PM

My original point was: Should one have to pay (other than something very reasonable) for something that has nothing to do with the operation of the vehicle, but is merely an identification and advertisement of the BMW logo. I would agree, of course, that one should pay for any part or service needing to be repaired or replaced as a result of normal wear and tear. BW
Old 08-03-2012, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: '97 2.8 Z3 bg R
if the shoe fits..it's okay to call it such..

In Sacto area we have 3 dealers: one which acts normally seems to sincere in being helpful and treats customers reasonably well(or better)..the other two are owned by the same people and they go out of their way to screw you over if they can..They always charge Higer prices for parts and accessories..now, I don't mean list BMW suggested, I mean higher than that..about 10 percent higher(sometimes more)..If you get a discount, say BMWCCA, it's off their higher price, so no real discount..Last time I had my car seviced there(and I do mean the very LAST time) It was returned with broken parts(they damaged the underside) and they got oil and grime(from the nmechanic's lucky shoes he hadn't changed in ten plus years! TRUE!)on the interior..I had to fight them to get the parts and then found out they even broke the shift knob!(Double DUMBASSES!)..and no apology..bought new from them,never again..so some dealers are not so good..and are justifiably called "stealers"..cuz, that's what they do..

X3Cheers! dk
Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madtown View Post
Hey... if you want a dealership to replace your BMW logo for $110.00 so you can do your part to help keep them in business knock yourself out. I personally cannot justify that type of charge when I can source the piece myself for 5 bucks and install in 30 seconds. That's what makes these forums so awesome. The exchange of this type of information can save DIY'ers tons of money and in the process exposes the outrageous markups that service departments charge. I understand perfectly that they are in business to make money..they're just not going to make it off of me. And all this bitching we're doing on these forums helps others save lots of money and time.

Last edited by Frenchx3; 08-10-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:50 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 730Li
Where can I buy a 7 series emblem ? Besides dealers. I live in Singapore.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrylim View Post
Where can I buy a 7 series emblem ? Besides dealers. I live in Singapore.

The internet is your friend. I can find a half dozen place in nano seconds on google. One I personally bought from was called JLevis and now Silicon Valley Concepts. I replaced all my roundels with matching silver/black carbon fiber ones.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 09-09-2012, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by btwillis View Post
I have an '04 X-3, bought new, with a list of things gone wrong (including complete failure of the AC system). Recently the Logo decal on the rear cargo lid came off (the front logo came off during warranty). The dealer quoted $53 for the part, another $55 labor, or about $115 for the job. I declined repair, thinking why should I pay for advertising BMW? At any rate has anyone had the same problem, and any suggestions? BW
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-e83-04-0...853c4b&vxp=mtr

BMW of Silver Springs has it cheaper but you have to pay shipping:

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/ind...&siteid=214672
Old 09-10-2012, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 08 X3 MSport, 04 M3,89 M3
I would never even drive any of my BMW's with even a faded roundel. Have some pride.....
Old 09-10-2012, 07:03 PM

My dealer would love you!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:41 PM

Mein Auto: 08 X3 MSport, 04 M3,89 M3
Im the president of my local CCA chapter.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08MsportX3 View Post
I would never even drive any of my BMW's with even a faded roundel. Have some pride.....
I'm with you.

Falls into the same category as keeping it clean.