Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: X3 iDrive
Question Engine off- can i just push it once??

Hello hello!

Just got a 2013 X3 after trading in my 2008 328i hardtop convertible. The iDrive has changed drastically and so did everything else along with it. Still adjusting to the new system but I'm wondering if there is a way to turn off the engine by pushing the button once instead of twice??

Thanksssss!!!
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5M, 13 x6 5.0 soon
Hold the button.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:55 PM

My only concern is for friends driving my car and for valets. Living in LA, I have to valet my car a lot and I am wondering if I could just shut down everything once without holding it down.

But thanks sooooo much for letting me know about that!! Had no idea!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:23 AM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 35i MSport, 09 135i
Perhaps I'm not understanding, but my engine shuts off with one button press?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:48 AM

Mein Auto: X3
I find I get both, one push and two. If I hit the stop quickly after the auto stop it goes off in one. It would be good if BMW could extend that gap a little to make it a bit more obvious.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:55 AM

This is true. My engine does shut down with one press. I was wondering if the battery would shut down with one press too.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:03 AM

Are you talking about the radio and stuff? That will all turn off once the valet locks the car. If they don't lock the car for some reason, it will shut off automatically after a few minutes so there's nothing to worry about.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5M, 13 x6 5.0 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by chic2chic View Post
my only concern is for friends driving my car and for valets. Living in la, i have to valet my car a lot and i am wondering if i could just shut down everything once without holding it down.

But thanks sooooo much for letting me know about that!! Had no idea!
np.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The valets in LA probably know more about high end cars than the salesmen!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: E92 M3 using ED
The problem I can see is that when the Start/Stop kicks in, the valet might think that the engine is already off. If they don't shift the gear to P (the car will Start when you shift it to N or P) there is a possibility that they will just step out and lock the car. I have to check what will happen when you open the door in this scenario. I assume that the BMW engineers thought about all possible scenarios.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram View Post
The problem I can see is that when the Start/Stop kicks in, the valet might think that the engine is already off. If they don't shift the gear to P (the car will Start when you shift it to N or P) there is a possibility that they will just step out and lock the car. I have to check what will happen when you open the door in this scenario. I assume that the BMW engineers thought about all possible scenarios.
There is also an alert (gong) if you open the driver door with the ignition still on (engine stopped) with a message in the dash. I've been caught by this a few times.

I think the one-button approach is still confusing. Would have preferred two buttons (one for on/start and one for off. It's just too easy to restart the vehicle unintentionally. I can deal with it, but very hard for new people to learn at first.

I'll try to hold the button next time to see if that stops the engine and turns off accessories. I may just get int the habit of not bothering to turn everything off (radio and accessories) and rely on locking to power down everything.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardjoe View Post
I may just get int the habit of not bothering to turn everything off (radio and accessories) and rely on locking to power down everything.
This is what I do, I just lock the car to shut everything off. If I'm parking in the garage, that's the only time I press it twice to shut off the radio.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
And, pressing the button to turn the vehicle off also selects Park. I don't drive our X3 often enough to use this feature, always selecting Park first...
Old 08-06-2012, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortec4800 View Post
This is what I do, I just lock the car to shut everything off. If I'm parking in the garage, that's the only time I press it twice to shut off the radio.
I do the same thing. Works fine.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardjoe View Post
There is also an alert (gong) if you open the driver door with the ignition still on (engine stopped) with a message in the dash. I've been caught by this a few times.

I think the one-button approach is still confusing. Would have preferred two buttons (one for on/start and one for off. It's just too easy to restart the vehicle unintentionally. I can deal with it, but very hard for new people to learn at first.
Just keep your foot off the brake and you won't risk restarting the engine.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
And, pressing the button to turn the vehicle off also selects Park. I don't drive our X3 often enough to use this feature, always selecting Park first...
This is my favorite feature, I don't use the "P" button pretty much at all. If you use the auto stop function (which I do) then you don't need to apply the parking break either, when you shut off the engine it will put the transmission in P and set the parking brake so you can just get out. Super easy.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I don't understand what's so complicated to folks about the stop-start button. It's identical to how a key would work in a sense.

From all off, briefly pressing the button without the brake is akin to Position I/radio readiness mode/accessory mode. Press it again turns all the circuits ON. Put your foot on the brake, it's like turning a key to "Start".

When the engine is running or when all the circuits are ON, briefly pressing it once turns it back to Accessory/radio readinessmode. Kind of like when you turn a key one position but not fully off. Pressing it again turns everything off, like turning the key one more position to OFF.

Its just with the button (versus traditional key), pressing the brake pedal allows you to bypass the "Accessory on" mode and directly fire up the engine. And a long hold of the button allows you to bypass "Accessory mode" on the way to OFF.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
I don't understand what's so complicated to folks about the stop-start button. It's identical to how a key would work in a sense.

From all off, briefly pressing the button without the brake is akin to Position I/radio readiness mode/accessory mode. Press it again turns all the circuits ON. Put your foot on the brake, it's like turning a key to "Start".

When the engine is running or when all the circuits are ON, briefly pressing it once turns it back to Accessory/radio readinessmode. Kind of like when you turn a key one position but not fully off. Pressing it again turns everything off, like turning the key one more position to OFF.

Its just with the button (versus traditional key), pressing the brake pedal allows you to bypass the "Accessory on" mode and directly fire up the engine. And a long hold of the button allows you to bypass "Accessory mode" on the way to OFF.
Time circuits... On.
Flux capacitor... Fluxing.