Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535ix
Question about shift points

If you are in comfort mode and you slide the shifter to the left, it changes the shift points and the indicator in the instrument panel changes from D to S. If you are in sport mode, the shift points are raised and you can still move the shift lever to the left and then get the display to say DS. So the question is, does this give me four different sets of shift points.
1. Comfort
2. Comfort with lever to the left
3. Sport
4. Sport with lever to the left
No point in saying RTFM, it is not in there.

Prior-2011 528i-Imperial Blue Metallic, Venetian Beige Leather,Prem Pkg, Split fold down rear seat,Heated seats , NAV
Prior- 2008 528i,Black sapphire metallic,Oyster dakota leather
CD,CWP,NAV,PREM PKG,ST,WT
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2013, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I dont think it does, I think there are only 2 sets of shift maps. Others here will disagree.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:36 PM

Thanks

I failed to mention that there seems to be another set of shifts points in eco-mode, but I only tried it once. Very stupid to build a performance sedan and then neuter it with some lame eco-mode. Tree huggers can go buy econ-o-box hybrids

Go ahead -flame me -I can take it

Prior-2011 528i-Imperial Blue Metallic, Venetian Beige Leather,Prem Pkg, Split fold down rear seat,Heated seats , NAV
Old 02-18-2013, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandf View Post
Thanks

I failed to mention that there seems to be another set of shifts points in eco-mode, but I only tried it once. Very stupid to build a performance sedan and then neuter it with some lame eco-mode. Tree huggers can go buy econ-o-box hybrids

Go ahead -flame me -I can take it
If I am correct, the eco mode retard the gas pedal input and not the shift points. The eco mode does come in handy in the snow and for the eco minded 528i owners.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:58 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
I posted something about this as well.

The multi-combinations are confusing.

For example, apparently being in "Comfort" but putting the shifter to the left ("S") means your shift points are raised to where they would be in "Sport" mode, but you do not get the added throttle aggressiveness as you do in Sport-Button mode and you don't get the Sport-steering feel.

So therefore if that is true, then the Shifter-left-"S" mode is ONLY about raising the shift points, but does not affect throttle feel (?)

So, what I'm wondering is, if that's true, then what happens when you're in "Eco Mode" and you put the shifter to the left ("S" mode on the shifter)? Do you get this weird hybrid of weak throttle response yet aggressively high shift points?

I just wonder what happens when you cross paths with the shifter being in "S" but the button being in Eco or "C", i.e does it override the softer throttle responses and/or even steering feel (I've heard it doesn't affect steering feel as the button does, which makes sense, but you'd assume the more aggressive throttle response you get from the S-button mode should be tied to the higher shift points).

Ordered: 2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex MB's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport", 02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 02-19-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 AM

It would be most helpful if there was an owners manual for people who were more technically inquisitive. The manual that is supplied with our vehicles is weak. It is written at a fourth grade level for owners who just want to put fuel in the tank,listen to the sound system,and let the miles come out under the rear bumper(figuratively speaking)

Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I

So, what I'm wondering is, if that's true, then what happens when you're in "Eco Mode" and you put the shifter to the left ("S" mode on the shifter)? Do you get this weird hybrid of weak throttle response yet aggressively high shift points?

I just wonder what happens when you cross paths with the shifter being in "S" but the button being in Eco or "C", i.e does it override the softer throttle responses and/or even steering feel.
The "S" mode on the shifter overrides the ECO PRO. On my 2012 an image of the shifter and "D" appears as an ECO PRO 'TIP' to maximize the gas savings. The blue images on the gas used are also 'grayed' out so basically ECO PRO is disabled. Switching back to D corrects everything.
2012 BMW 535i X-drive; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline; Executive (Auto trunk, NAV, HiFi Prof, Lumbar, Rear Cam, SIRIUS, Voice), Technology (Blind Spot, Hi-Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Surround View), APPS, Rear heated seats, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i