Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-28-2013, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335i
Dinan tune

anyone have this tune on their 335i? hows it run? dealer said they can do it for me for 2200. is it worth it?
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Pass on it. Get yourself a JB4 or Cobb AP. Best bang for your buck totally reversible and hidden, and a HUGE HUGE HUGE online following this isn't like some random companies with a few users.

You could JB4+ FMIC+ intake for cheaper than what it'll cost you and you'll slaughter that dinan tune.

I had Dinan tune and regret it (suspension is a different story, I also liked their FMIC)
Old 07-28-2013, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335i
so you like their springs?
Old 07-28-2013, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
If you want the simplicity of a set it and forget it flash, either get Cobb and flash it on yourself or get GIAC and have it done for 800 instead of 2200 and get better performance from either of them.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgt79 View Post
so you like their springs?
I mean they're basically rebadged Koni's but yeah I liked the stage 3 kit. Just whatever you do don't get Dinan as your flash the others are too good and too well established
Old 07-28-2013, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
anyone have this tune on their 335i? hows it run? dealer said they can do it for me for 2200. is it worth it?
Gosh-a-mighty! Here we go again....

JB4 does more for <$500. It is the market leader.

Dinan quotes power at the crank[shaft]; others at the wheel. Subtract ~15% from Dinan claims to compare to others.

Dinan doesn't do meth.

You cannot resell Dinan tune. You can resell JB4 and/or Cobb.

Dinan deletes the stock tune. JB4 and Cobb do not - you can always get it back.

>Yawn< --- Dinan is such a tiresome exercise....everything they offer, without exception, is grossly overpriced.

Their suspensions are not top drawer.

Yada yada yada....you are invited to look around....try E90POST and N54TECH too....
Old 07-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Moding is Addictive

Mein Auto: DCT 335is powered by PTF
Quote:
I had stage 3 on both of my E92 cars. No its not worth it since we now have the Cobb AP to flash the car back to stock when going into the dealer for any "warranty" work to be done and you don't have to fiddle with the DME wires. Its mere plug and play.

Spend that money on a Cobb AP, Intercooler, drop in filter, and DPs
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
"BMW DCT 335is" on Facebook
Old 07-29-2013, 03:01 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
This is always a big debate but it always comes out the same....you pay a lot for the Dinan security blanket which does not perform as well as any of the other popular tunes. The others all have different features but generally the JB4 & COBB are the two market leaders. As BuraQ said when you want more power its time to move on to one of the major 3rd party vendors. Now for the commercial for my tune of choice.

All the quickest stock & RB turbo cars run the JB4 system. COBB is good for non-DIY people because it just plugs into the OBS port. The JB4 takes about 1/2 hour after the first learning time experience to install or remove. For most dealer service it does not need to be uninstalled. I have not removed mine in two years.

A new option will be coming out soon that is an OBS flash system like COBB. Its a freeware system that will flash the ECU like COBB does & is supported by all the major racers & performance oriented guys. See the thread at BimmerBoost.com for more info.

On everything else Cal's points are pretty much the whole story.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 07-29-2013, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
OP,
Have had Dinan installed on my car now for some 4 yrs and coming up to my anniversary date for warranty expiration after which I will probably go with a Cobb AP program. Over the 4 yrs the Dinan products installed on my car have worked flawlessly and I never have had to worry about hiding my tune or voiding my warranty, so for me I didn't mind going with Dinan even if it was a bit more expensive. The oil cooler, intercooler and intake are extremely nice products and will stay with the car. The flash, at 14 psi, I feel can be pushed a bit higher for better performance so I am probably going with Cobb as I can have more exposure to increasing hp/tq maps. Don't get me wrong here, the Dinan flash is fast, eg runs 0-60 times in around 4.3 sec but unfortunately the competition has caught up and the need for more is desired.

If you do the Dinan work, do it at the dealership and you will have no worries what so ever when it comes to warranty work. If not, strap on a jb4/meth kit rocket(for little to no dough)and have your self a blast!

Last edited by daytrader; 07-29-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
OP,
Have had Dinan installed on my car now for some 4 yrs and coming up to my anniversary date for warranty expiration after which I will probably go with a Cobb AP program. Over the 4 yrs the Dinan products installed on my car have worked flawlessly and I never have had to worry about hiding my tune or voiding my warranty, so for me I didn't mind going with Dinan even if it was a bit more expensive. The oil cooler, intercooler and intake are extremely nice products and will stay with the car. The flash, at 14 psi, I feel can be pushed a bit higher for better performance so I am probably going with Cobb as I can have more exposure to increasing hp/tq maps. Don't get me wrong here, the Dinan flash is fast, eg runs 0-60 times in around 4.3 sec but unfortunately the competition has caught up and the need for more is desired.

If you do the Dinan work, do it at the dealership and you will have no worries what so ever when it comes to warranty work. If not, strap on a jb4/meth kit rocket(for little to no dough)and have your self a blast!

I was like Day but after having the cobb and seeing its stability, and knowing how stable the JB4 is I just can't preach buying 2k tunes from dinan (and this from someone who buys overpriced clothes made in foreign countries)
Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
I was like Day but after having the cobb and seeing its stability, and knowing how stable the JB4 is I just can't preach buying 2k tunes from dinan (and this from someone who buys overpriced clothes made in foreign countries)
Yeah, ever since the destruction of the dollar, NM is not much fun any more.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335is Coupe - Dinan3
Dinan tune

If money is not an issue go with Dinan.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-31-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan335is View Post

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

That would be incorrect because if money weren't an issue you you'd throw some after market turbos on and void that warranty and if the car blew up cut a check for a new car no sweat
Old 08-01-2013, 03:50 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan335is View Post
Correction: If great performance is not an issue go with Dinan.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 08-09-2013, 12:19 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: E92
I'm sure that the Dinan tune is good. It's just really over priced in comparison to other tunes out there that work just as well. The COBB and JB4 are also both very popular choices. It really comes down to what you're looking for.

JB4 over the Cobb:
1) Built in autotuning. The tune adjusts itself to your vehicle, mods, and octane, to optimize power and safety.
2) Optional in dash boost gauge, shift light, and other features assessable via the steering wheel controls. Boost gauge function isn't too accurate.
3) On the fly map switching including pump gas, race gas, auto learning, and non-turbo economy maps.
4) User adjustable boost limiting in 1st & 2nd gears. This is similar to COBB's linear & stock throttle mapping
5) Various extended safety features like oil temperature protection, lean run, knock, and over boost fail safe systems. Great safety features built in. But my personal opinion is they need many fail safes since the tune is that much more aggressive (than the COBB) and relies on the ECU to make adjustments (pull timing, etc.).
6) Built in support for E85, integrated methanol injection, and larger turbos should the customer ever want to add those.
7) Available no lift shifting and 2STEP rev limiter for manual transmission cars.
8) Lower price point

JB4 Install:

http://burgertuning.com/instructions/JB4PnP.pdf

Cobb over the JB4:
1) Easier installation and removal procedure, does not require users to open DME box or add any additional equipment. Or keep it installed on the vehicle it doesn't need to stay plugged in.
2) Includes maps provided for various modifications and pump fuels, race fuels, and E85 mixtures.
3) Custom tuning/mapping is available via professional Cobb tuners.
4) Able to datalog using Cobb handheld device without the need of a laptop computer.
5) Access to some additional DME tables that can't be changed via JB4 alone including VANOS, fuel scalars, etc.

Cobb Install:
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm | Sat 8:00am-5:00pm
Check out the Blog for daily updates!