Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3
Z3 Rear Window Won't Fold Correctly

I recently replaced my rear window with a BMW factory replacement. Install went very well with instructions from this site. Aligned and zipped in perfectly. The problem is it will never fold down correctly. I always need to stop halfway and straighten it out before closing the rest of the way. I have been using a pool noodle to reduce the crease issue so I generally need to stop halfway to install it but it never bends like it should. It sat in 100+ degree sun the last few weeks, open and closed, which I thought might help but whether in the sun or in the garage, the same problem occurs. Any one else had this problem and found a solution?
Shovel
Ads by Google
Old 07-27-2012, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 1.9 Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovel View Post
I recently replaced my rear window with a BMW factory replacement. Install went very well with instructions from this site. Aligned and zipped in perfectly. The problem is it will never fold down correctly. I always need to stop halfway and straighten it out before closing the rest of the way. I have been using a pool noodle to reduce the crease issue so I generally need to stop halfway to install it but it never bends like it should. It sat in 100+ degree sun the last few weeks, open and closed, which I thought might help but whether in the sun or in the garage, the same problem occurs. Any one else had this problem and found a solution?
Shovel
yeah its the ever present pain in the ass of Z3 owners. don't think there is any cure for it, just drop the top slowly and help the window fold correctly is what i do
Old 07-29-2012, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: 98 5spd Z3 & 99 Explorer
What is the correct way I should be dropping my manual top and having it fold??
Old 07-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 M Roadster
Got a picture of the top open and half closed ?

Any chance you have a slight crease in the window from the zip being misaligned ?

TC Kline S/A Coilovers | Sharked | Turner Slotted Rotors | Axxis Ultimate Pads | SS Front Strut | IE Subframe Bushings | IE Rear Toe/Camber Kit
Whalen Shift Machine | Stygar Clutch Pedal | CDV Delete | LeatherZ Armrest | Whalen seat bushings | Z3Solutions Windblocker | Shift Pin fix
Old 07-31-2012, 10:55 PM

Mein Auto: BMW M5
Yup. Mine is the same. Factory window folded and replacement doesn't.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 98 5spd Z3 & 99 Explorer
I don't want to have to replace my window any time soon...I would appreciate if someone would demo the best way to fold it properly.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 97 Z3 1.9L
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdennis View Post
Yup. Mine is the same. Factory window folded and replacement doesn't.
if you don't mind me asking,
Where did you get your replacement, OEM?