BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Our 2012 X5d, Deep Sea Blue is HERE!

10K views 48 replies 21 participants last post by  aasosakuzuciy 
#1 ·
At the dealership now picking up the misses new set of wheels. She's gonna love this thing! Can't wait to bring it home. Will post a bunch more pics later but here's two for now. :)

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Purdy....

Congrats!

A

#8 · (Edited)
PICS: Zenfolio | Steve Pake Photography | BMW X5 35d

Averaged 28 mpg indicated on the way back (42 miles) which was a mix of highway and some stop-n-go and local traffic. Probably more like 27 mpg actual. One of the trim pieces had a noticeable flaw in it (bummer!) so had the dealership order another one, but otherwise it's perfect. As soon as I got back we loaded the whole family up including my sis-in-law and her bf and went to dinner. What a joy being able to shove everybody in one car at long last! Acceleration is great, love the torque! Late tonight took it out on a quick run to Home Depot so took it on a local interstate ramp that I'm very familiar. The corner speed limit is 30 mph, so I started at 50 mph and it was like, that's all you got??? :p Took it up to 55 and it was still pretty composed but approaching the limit! My convertible's limit is about 60 on this turn so I was shocked that this big 5200lb SUV was cornering nearly as well as my 3er does! :eek:

Love love LOOOOOOVE the Multi-Contour seats. Manufacturers design seats that are going to be ergonomically compatible with 90% of the people out there, but at 6'3" with my wide frame and slightly odd proportions I'm not in that 90%. These seats are great and fit me like a glove! Custom adjustments for just about everything so that you can get it juuuust right, and then memory seating to lock it in (wife is 5'2" so drastically different seat settings, lol) Love it!

Specs are Deep Sea Blue / Sand Beige
- Premium Package
- Multi-Contour seats
- Third Row

Wife has not driven it yet, but she's giddy. She works her tails off and deserves it so I'm happy she's finally got a new set of wheels. :cool:

#9 ·
And we're now a Deep Sea Blue family! lol

This misses is pleased. Just took it out for a Saturday AM shopping run to the mall, how appropriate! :)

#10 ·
HAHA..

I'm sure following a long and thorough discussion on appropriate parking spots.

:)

#13 ·
I showed her how to get it into Top View mode which is pretty slick, and she was like "oooooh!" :) 5'2" Asian woman driver in a 5200lb 7-passenger SUV needs all the help she can get.

You are going to love it. This SUV is phenomenal with this engine.
I'm convinced that the diesel is absolutely the perfect engine choice for this vehicle. My favorite is when it's just upshifted to 3rd and then you suddenly need to get on it and accelerate. Most any other car will be downshifting to 2nd. The diesel simply torques its way up to speed no problem in 3rd gear as if it were already in 2nd!

The blue looks great, good choice I think.
Her old Toyota Highlander is blue too! :p

#12 ·
The blue looks great, good choice I think.

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks! She did really like the Vermillion Red also and gave that some serious thought, but decided to stick with DSB. Very unique X5 you've got there! I've never seen an X5 in that color besides yours. :)

Looks awesome! DSB is my color. I think I'm going with the Cinnamon. I see you bought at Passport....I live in the DC metro area too. Let me know how your experience there was. I haven't pulled the trigger on mine yet, but will be early 2013...and am curious about how you did on pricing there. What other dealers did you negotiate with? Seems like Rockville usually has the most inventory. I've talked with Fairfax a couple times.....any feedback you have would be great. Congrats again! Love it!
We've bought both of our cars at Passport, and yes we shopped around both times. I actually live right up the street (10 mins) from VOB/Rockville. As far as sales experience and pricing, Passport is easily the best dealership in the whole area. While I was waiting to get in with the finance guy, they had me download the BMW Ultimate Drive app and "schedule a test drive" to get a code, and that got me another $500 off the car right there. With the trim piece that has a surface inconsistency in it, I asked if I should just get it taken care of at Rockville instead since they're way closer. The manager at Passport wouldn't hear of it. They're going to drive a loaner up to where we are, take our X5 back down to their service dept to swap it out, and then bring it back up for us when it's ready. PM me if you want and I'll send you my Passport Client Advisor's contact info.

You guys are NUTS if you don't consider the PCD... Order from any sponsor who willbgive you a fair no hassle price, then bop down to north Carolina, hang out at the factory and dive it home....

I almost did it and my drive home is 2000 miles! Yours is what 300?

A
This actually was setup as a PCD initially, and my wife had a friend that she wanted to visit down that way too. Her schedule wasn't flexible and we could really only go one day though, and it happened to be booked. But that's ok. Now we've got the car three weeks earlier and we're heading to the beach that weekend instead. :thumbup:

#15 ·
Looks awesome! DSB is my color. I think I'm going with the Cinnamon. I see you bought at Passport....I live in the DC metro area too. Let me know how your experience there was. I haven't pulled the trigger on mine yet, but will be early 2013...and am curious about how you did on pricing there. What other dealers did you negotiate with? Seems like Rockville usually has the most inventory. I've talked with Fairfax a couple times.....any feedback you have would be great. Congrats again! Love it!

#16 ·
You guys are NUTS if you don't consider the PCD... Order from any sponsor who willbgive you a fair no hassle price, then bop down to north Carolina, hang out at the factory and dive it home....

I almost did it and my drive home is 2000 miles! Yours is what 300?

A

#19 ·
Well geez we sure as heck did get good use out of the new X and especially the third row seats this weekend! :yikes:

My sis-in-law and her bf were in town visiting which we knew about, so we all went out with them a few times (wife and I, plus them, plus our 3 and 5yr olds in the back). They took off this morning, but we had no idea that my mother-in-law and bro-in-law were also going to stop by like an hour after they left. WTF? lol So we ended up going out to lunch and dinner with them, with everybody piled into the X too.

The kids are okay in the back. Visibility isn't the best for them, but my 5yr old in her booster seat can just barely peek her head up above the top of the seats in front of her to get forward visibility. Watching stuff on their iPod touches is a no-no. My 3yr old son got motion sickness when he did that, so they need to concentrate on keeping whatever visual references they have locked in to avoid that, and I do try to drive extra smooth when they're back there. We don't plan to go any longer than 30 minutes with them in the back like that, so it should be fine. :thumbup:

A couple of things I'm wondering about...

- Why on earth are 1st and 2nd gears so short? Noticed this when I had an X5d loaner a few months back, but when starting off it seems like it's a bunch of revving and noise and that you don't keep the engine in the torque band until about 3rd gear. I'm guessing the point is to try and get away with not having a two-speed transfer case and to handle very slow speed stuff inching along or pulling a boat out of the water, hence the extra short first two gears?

- When I take off the driver's seat belt, it tends to slap the B-pillar column which is a pretty hard material resulting in a loud CLANK banging noise. What the heck? Is there not some sort of seat belt guide to prevent that from happening? Wouldn't be an issue if that B-pillar material was actually soft but it isn't.

- For the HVAC system, is there an "ALL" button to reset all the 4 individual settings to the same temperature? There's no hard button for that, but maybe there's something in i-Drive? I have an "ALL" button in my E93, so sorta surprised that the E70 with its 4-way system doesn't have one unless I've missed it. Reason I ask is because my kids in their booster seats aren't going to be able to reach the 2nd row climate control systems. It'd be easier if I could control that from up front for them.

My wife loves it and says it's tempting her to do "bad things". :D Going to be her new DD, but I'll have a fair amount of seat time in it also, whenever we're going anywhere as a family. Being nice during break-in, but can't wait to unleash it and see what this puppy can do. Happy we finally picked up a new car for her. Long-deserved believe me. And I've always wanted a diesel too. :)

#20 · (Edited)
In answer to your climate control question, in the idrive climate control menu you can link the rear climate control to the driver's settings.

Well geez we sure as heck did get good use out of the new X and especially the third row seats this weekend! :yikes:

My sis-in-law and her bf were in town visiting which we knew about, so we all went out with them a few times (wife and I, plus them, plus our 3 and 5yr olds in the back). They took off this morning, but we had no idea that my mother-in-law and bro-in-law were also going to stop by like an hour after they left. WTF? lol So we ended up going out to lunch and dinner with them, with everybody piled into the X too.

The kids are okay in the back. Visibility isn't the best for them, but my 5yr old in her booster seat can just barely peek her head up above the top of the seats in front of her to get forward visibility. Watching stuff on their iPod touches is a no-no. My 3yr old son got motion sickness when he did that, so they need to concentrate on keeping whatever visual references they have locked in to avoid that, and I do try to drive extra smooth when they're back there. We don't plan to go any longer than 30 minutes with them in the back like that, so it should be fine. :thumbup:

A couple of things I'm wondering about...

- Why on earth are 1st and 2nd gears so short? Noticed this when I had an X5d loaner a few months back, but when starting off it seems like it's a bunch of revving and noise and that you don't keep the engine in the torque band until about 3rd gear. I'm guessing the point is to try and get away with not having a two-speed transfer case and to handle very slow speed stuff inching along or pulling a boat out of the water, hence the extra short first two gears?

- When I take off the driver's seat belt, it tends to slap the B-pillar column which is a pretty hard material resulting in a loud CLANK banging noise. What the heck? Is there not some sort of seat belt guide to prevent that from happening? Wouldn't be an issue if that B-pillar material was actually soft but it isn't.

- For the HVAC system, is there an "ALL" button to reset all the 4 individual settings to the same temperature? There's no hard button for that, but maybe there's something in i-Drive? I have an "ALL" button in my E93, so sorta surprised that the E70 with its 4-way system doesn't have one unless I've missed it. Reason I ask is because my kids in their booster seats aren't going to be able to reach the 2nd row climate control systems. It'd be easier if I could control that from up front for them.

My wife loves it and says it's tempting her to do "bad things". :D Going to be her new DD, but I'll have a fair amount of seat time in it also, whenever we're going anywhere as a family. Being nice during break-in, but can't wait to unleash it and see what this puppy can do. Happy we finally picked up a new car for her. Long-deserved believe me. And I've always wanted a diesel too. :)

#25 ·
Sorry PM didn't go through last night for some reason. Just sent again. :thumbup:

#24 ·
Congrats, I have the twin of yours.

#30 ·
Thanks!

One more question. Is there a way to link certain settings between key fobs? Like i-Drive presets, Climate control link, and FM radio station settings? The only thing we really need to keep independent on the key fobs are the memory seat positions, but everything else it'd be nice to more or less keep linked and the same.

#31 ·
kinda wish I ordered since it seems like it is so quick! (just because I wanted comfort seats). I'm very happy with the truck and glad you are too!

#35 ·
The Germans have never been all that good at software. :D

Sooo... on the trim piece issue. My CA called back the other day casually informing me that they want me to be happy and would be more than happy to replace the trim piece, but wanted me to be aware that they would have to disassemble the entire dashboard in order to replace it. Would be about 2-3 days of labor, and wanted to know how badly it was bothering my wife. Basically they'd rather not replace it if it's not a major issue to us. :rolleyes:

Well you pay this much for a car and you expect perfection and this is clearly a flaw. Wife is not too happy about it, but is even less happy and more paranoid and fearful about dealership service techs ripping apart a brand new car just for this. One minor error in reassembly and you could have a rattle or vibration somewhere, and would they get it back together in perfect alignment? ehhh.... Not sure I wanna go down this road.

Wife said she'd be happier if they could throw in a bunch of accessories that we were interested in and call it even, so we'll see what happens. A few hundred in accessories is way cheaper than a multi-thousand dollar repair in terms of labor.

#36 ·
Wife said she'd be happier if they could throw in a bunch of accessories that we were interested in and call it even, so we'll see what happens. A few hundred in accessories is way cheaper than a multi-thousand dollar repair in terms of labor.
I doubt the dealer will go for that. They will get reimbursed for a warranty repair by BMW NA. They won't get a dime for accessories.

#38 ·
I just tried taking some pics in the garage, and to be honest unless the light is hitting it just right you can hardly even tell. Needs to have harsh mid-day sunlight hitting it from overhead, in which case it's pretty obvious if you glance over. So the pics I just took would be useless. It's an area about the size of a dime where the surface texture suddenly gets smoothed over. No idea how they build this part, but it's as if the mould was dirty in that area or something. I'll try to get a better photo later.

#41 ·
Ok so there's the glove compartment on the right and the dark burl walnut trim. It's on the beige plastic piece below that, which is actually a single piece and goes across the whole car. If you sprung for the leather console/dashboard trim, that whole piece would be leather and not plastic.

#45 ·
Cool, more pictures to see here, buddy! For the trim piece, I would leave it and not having them taking it apart, somehow I believe if you take off the dash, you will have more problems down the road since you will likely lose the rigidity and have rattles later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.