Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-16-2004, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 325ci
Premium Radio

I am about to order a 2004 x5 4.4 and I am debating between ordering with the premium raio and without. I am getting every other option except for the premium seats just becuase my dealer doesnt like them and I didnt think it was worth the 1600 to be able to move the top of the seat differently.
The radio issue is really challenging though. There are many posts that say the radio is awful but it doesnt tell me which one. I just want to know which one to order. The $1200 is not money I want to waist but if it is worth it I am already spending $60,000 there is not a big difference. Thanks for the help.
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2004, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: x5 4.4; 325i
I regret not going for the radio upgrade. The sound just isn't what I would want in such a great truck.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: x5 4,4 -02
i would recommend you to go with the premium seats.. they are lovely!
save the money from the premium sound package and go to some local car audio shop and get something from there instead, if your not happy when youve recieved the cheaper sound system
Old 06-17-2004, 07:09 PM
I always have an opinion

Mein Auto: '06 325xiT
Do you listen to the radio, or mostly CDs? I'm not overwhelmed by the radio, but the CD suits me just fine - it seems to sound better. I had an Alpine in my last vehicle, and it was much better than the standard X5 radio, but it was nowhere as expensive as the upgraded radio is.

I vote for getting the base radio and if you don't like it, customize it from the wide variety of aftermarket radios, instead of settling for the one choice from BMW.

2006 325xiT | Alpine White | Black Leather
Old 06-17-2004, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 325ci
Confused

I have heard the regular radio stinks? The dealer is like the regular radio isnt bad and doesnt seem crazy about the premium radio. Knowing them they would be throwing it at me along with anything else they could.
Everyone I know with the premium likes it and I think it is worth going for it only because I am getting the navigation so I am not going to be switching head units.
I also did an experiment in a 2000 740i with the the premium radio listening to a CD with DSP on and off and that alone makes a huge difference and thats a 7 which I would presume has a better stereo to begin with.
I wanted the comfort seats as well but it only really adds some back movement on the upper half of the seat. I thought that was a big rip at $1600. My dealer says the premium isnt anything people rave over but no one really thinks the regular radio is good and people with the premium at least like it. On a 60,000 car it would be a big let down to not like the radio.
Also does anyone think it is worth giving up the superior ride of the x5 to go with a lexus just because the problems from this boards seem to be so numerous and I dont want to be stuck in the dealer all the time.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:40 AM
PR02ZAC do u need a lift

Send a message via Skype™ to swindonhost
Mein Auto: X5 2003 3.0D / others mad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklevine
My dealer says the premium isnt anything people rave over but no one really thinks the regular radio is good and people with the premium at least like it. On a 60,000 car it would be a big let down to not like the radio.
I Have the DSP, and to be honest I wouldn't spend the money a second time, its seems to be all bass and to loud in the back

Jon
2003- X5, 3.0D All options except, Adjustable rear seats and moving cargo platform.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:44 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
I've got the standard radio, and it has never been an issue for me (or for the wife at that matter). We had the HK in the 328i and 330i - it was worth the money in that case.

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 06-18-2004, 10:28 AM
It's all good!

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission
I've got the standard radio, and it has never been an issue for me (or for the wife at that matter). We had the HK in the 328i and 330i - it was worth the money in that case.
I agree. My sister has an '04 X5 with the standard radio and I think it sounds just as good as my 325Ci with the HK upgrade. Maybe not as good as my Z4 with the upgraded sound system, but still very good. I would really need to listen to the standard and radio back to back to decide, but judging from my sister's X5 (she usually has her iPod connected through the Aux port), I think the standard sound system is pretty good.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:16 PM
I always have an opinion

Mein Auto: '06 325xiT
I think my husbands 330i with HK sounds much better than my X5 3.0 with standard radio, but I don't drive long enough to make it worth a load of money. I put that Alpine in my old 4Runner because it didn't have a CD player, and it was great, but again I don't have sophisticated enough ears to make it worth it.

As for the Lexus/X5 issue, you are talking about two totally different rides, which makes it a personal issue. I haven't been stuck at the dealer once (just went in twice in the first year - one weatherstripping clip that came loose and one voluntary oil change). The Lexus 330 is going be a much softer, car-like ride, and the GX is just way, way, way too much money for a duded-up 4Runner for me. You'll have to make that decision on your own, but for me, once I drove the X5 there was no way anything else was going to make me happy.

2006 325xiT | Alpine White | Black Leather
Old 06-18-2004, 10:25 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
I have the standard radio on my X5 and the HK upgrade on the 325i. IMO, there is not a significant difference between the two when playing CD's, which I do 99% of the time. The HK upgrade gives a little more base punch, but then again, my daughter (17 yr old) keeps turning the base down saying it's too overpowering!!! When shopping for the X, I took a CD with me and listened to both the standard and the upgrade and decided the xtra for the upgrade was not worth it.
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 06-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 330i SP 6 speed
This is a question on the Comfort Seat.

Is the only different between the Sport Seat (that comes with sport package) and the comfort seat is the upper back portion of the seat. The rest is the same?

eel
Old 06-21-2004, 10:49 AM
It's all good!

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa
Is the only different between the Sport Seat (that comes with sport package) and the comfort seat is the upper back portion of the seat. The rest is the same?
The two seats are entirely different.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 330i SP 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS
The two seats are entirely different.
Can you describe the difference, I went to BMW dealer yesterday, I seat on both sport seat and comfort seat, here is what I could observe

Sport seat: Just like Sportseat in 5 series, large side bolster, adjustable thigh suppot

Comfort seat: this is more like a regular non sport seat to me, it has a adjustment for the upper back, but no adjustment for thigh support.

My question is, Beside the upper back adjustment in comfort seat, is there any more advantage from comfort seat that is superior to the sport seat?

eel