Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 Sportline 28i
X1 versus MBZ GLK?

Has anyone had a chance to compare the X1 to the 2013 models of the Mercedes Benz GLK (heard from a dealer that they are showing up any day now here in Northern Calif)?

I'm waiting for both to show up for test drives. Have a Mini-Cooper-S Countryman (turbo charged 4 cyl.) and it runs like a fast go-cart (rides like one too); considering trading in the old '08 E350 Sport on something like the X1 or the GLK.

Thanks for any feedback.
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
haven't driven the GLK, but I'm sure the X1 will drive much better interms of handling. I've owned a MB once and that was the last. I've always driven BMWs and so far there hasn't been a good substitute.

The GLK is heavier by at least 300 lbs and is going to be more expensive when equally equipped. The exterior size and price is closer to the X3 than the X1. Personally I think the GLK is fugly on the outside; is it sits more upright and is boxy, so I didn't even consider.

One thing going for the GLK is the availability of a diesel engine this year instead of next for the X1.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:13 AM

Mein Auto: Camero GT
To me the GLK is quite a bit smaller than the X3. The GLK is more in-line with the X1 in size.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Had a GLK rental and was really impressed. Fit and finish at least as good as X3, though smaller.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
The GLK will have a diesel going for it, but will only be available in AWD. I plan to test both an sDrive28i and the GLK 250 just for comparison's sake during the fall and next year (I think the GLK 250 comes out a bit later).
Old 08-05-2012, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: X1 sdrive 18d
The GLK is aimed more at the X3, so pricing will be higher, especially as BMW are trying to gain market share with the X1 and here in Europe you can get free options and impressive discounts. Mercedes wound hardly budge on price (in southern Spain, Mercedes sells 4x as much as BMW, and Audi 6x based on registrations)

Personally, we didnt like the square look of the GLK but inside is has a high quality build. The blue leather interior with aluminium is really nice.

The GLK ride is far superior than the X1. The car is stable, does not vibrate on the motorway. Little road vibration from the road gets passed to the driver (the X1 is horrible in this respect) and you can barely hear the diesel motor. That odd square shape also seems to dampen wind noise, or maybe the cabin is just better insulated. X1 really is cheap in these respects.

Mercedes is far behind BMW in electronics. The main interface is a PCMCIA card!!

Another issue is that the standard glass is thermal which reduces considerable heat entering the car in southern Europe. This means you use less gas on the aircon. Our X1 AC is constantly on and the cabin never really gets cold and we have the tinted glass on the rear seats.

X3 improves on cabin noise but I cant remember how the steering was. I believe it is EPS rather than the cheap mechanical steering on the X1. Have you looked at the Audi Q3?

Last edited by X1blue; 08-05-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:14 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
The GLK will have a diesel going for it, but will only be available in AWD. I plan to test both an sDrive28i and the GLK 250 just for comparison's sake during the fall and next year (I think the GLK 250 comes out a bit later).
Personally I think you should buy my X3 since you know it's in great condition and will be a rare find with manual tranny.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 08-07-2012, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
I've owned three BMWs and one Mercedes. A friend once told me, who also owned both: You RIDE in a Mercedes but you DRIVE a BMW. Words to live by!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
GLK back row is tight. I haven't tried X1 but I've heard from media that it is not bad. 2013 GLK interior was awful looking. Diesel is coming in 2013.

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)

Last edited by mason; 08-09-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Personally I think you should buy my X3 since you know it's in great condition and will be a rare find with manual tranny.
Next vehicle has to consume less than 5l/100km on the highway (47 US mpg) and emit less than 160 g/km. I have tough environmental standards too.

Granted, given my devotion to mountain biking, I might go nuts on an impulse one day and buy a pickup truck. *D'oh*
Old 08-09-2012, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: X1 sdrive 18d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Next vehicle has to consume less than 5l/100km on the highway (47 US mpg) and emit less than 160 g/km. I have tough environmental standards too.

Granted, given my devotion to mountain biking, I might go nuts on an impulse one day and buy a pickup truck. *D'oh*
Our X1 sDrive 18g is reporting 6,1/100km over 800km, mostly on the motorway. When you are on a flat motorway, the meter does show around 3-5 but that gets wiped out when you hit headwind or a slope, when 10-15l/100km is the norm with cruise control @ 110km/h

In the city, will rarely get less than 9 as per the onboard system.

In the end, Audi, Mercedes and BMW are similar on fuel consumption for comparable models as long as you dont accelerate excessively.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: German
OP, GLK and X1 aren't competitors.

The GLK is coming with a CDI, so it wins IMO
Old 08-10-2012, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 325xi Touring
Drove the GLK for the first time this week. I am not a performance car person, so I can only talk about fit, form, and speed/power. The MB was heavy, solid, and very smooth. Interior space was decent, but when sitting in the back seat, I had no leg room. The back of the front seat dug into my keg. I am 5'9 btw. Drove the base model 4matic with MB faux leather. Decent speed, but slow to react. The gas milage was scary, closer to my full size crossover. I think 19/22. I was offered a great deal, but wanted to drive the X1 first.
Drove the X1 xDrive today with Premium and cold weather packages. Fast, very responsive, tight steering. The rear space was definitely smaller than the GLK. More like a typical hatchback. Legroom was much better in the backseat. Overall, I liked the interior much better. Felt higher quality, loved the display. X1 is odd in person. Sometimes it looks fierce and fast. At other angles it looks more like a wagon. A guy pulled up next to me in an X5 and the X1 looked faster, younger, and well sized. Side by side the X5 looked dated. Gas mileage is much better than my Passat.
Long story shirt, I ordered the X1. Only paid about $3k more than the lesser equipped GLK (after 6K in MB and USAA discounts). Jet black, sand beige, premium package, 18" double spoke wheels, and satin roof rails for 35k.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:02 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
Confirmed that mine arrived in Baltimore on Saturday, will be loaded on the car carrier this morning (Monday) and arrive at my dealer this evening. Should be driving it tomorrow after work!! Thanks for the update on how it drives.