Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: das good ya?
You can use a non-oem headlight ballast without error codes/reprogramming! Pics

Note; this post does not condone using those cheap $25 ebay kits for your headlights.

So this morning I was installing my new Mtech v2 angel eyes and I decided to try a little experiment. I took off the front bumper and removed a headlight to get to one of the ballasts. Thanks to this picture:

that I stole from hidplanet.com I hooked a couple of wires from the bottom of the headlight where ballast plugs in and connected them to my cheapo hid fog light kit with the built in resistor. Tada! No headlight error codes and no reprogramming!
So if a ballast goes bad and you want to replace it with a different one or if you want to upgrade to a ddm tuning hid kit, it is possible without getting a bunch of errors. I have other plans...

Last edited by bondheli; 10-26-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-01-2010, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: '03 330i
Do you know if you can still trigger the OEM bixenon high beam shutter with this setup? My understanding is that the OEM ballast has a trigger wire that runs to the projector.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 745i
Good Post, I hate electronics, I'll take mine to somebody who made it thru shop class.

Those Pics look like how I had my 735 lites jury rigged. They wanted like 500 bones to fix one headlamp wiring, instead I hooked it up to the other lamp with an inline fuse and presto, good to go for 2 years until the whole car retired.
76 280Z 2+2 RIP 325K
Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
great find, and nice information to know

BMW CREE LED ANGEL EYES ALL BMW MODELS MTEC V3 V4 DTEC V6 V7 V8 V9 V10 NO ERROR
BMW ACCESSORIES and PARTS
BMW LED INTERIOR KITS
please PM/Email us for member discount/combo pricing
info@e92-lighting.com "e90post5" for 5% off as the promo code
Old 12-03-2010, 11:13 PM

Mein Auto: Black on Black 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsmmr View Post
Do you know if you can still trigger the OEM bixenon high beam shutter with this setup? My understanding is that the OEM ballast has a trigger wire that runs to the projector.
Anyone find this out?
Old 12-04-2010, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: das good ya?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsmmr View Post
That is a good point and I'm not sure. It's possible the high beam shutter wiring is run through the multi pin connector that attaches to the headlight though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz1 View Post
Good Post, I hate electronics, I'll take mine to somebody who made it thru shop class.

Those Pics look like how I had my 735 lites jury rigged. They wanted like 500 bones to fix one headlamp wiring, instead I hooked it up to the other lamp with an inline fuse and presto, good to go for 2 years until the whole car retired.
This was just a proof of concept. The plan was to buy a couple more oem ballasts, gut them, and pot some wires coming out to a standard hid ballast connector so I could run modified 55w ballasts. I ended up going with some 85122+ Philips bulbs and they provided me with enough light.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 745li
you do not have to take the bumper off to fix low beam headlight