Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-29-2012, 05:23 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
I'm too lazy to go back and read through....did you change the FPR? That really sounds like too much fuel pressure at idle. Or the idle control valve is faulty.

Funny, I'm just went through the same symptoms with the M30 in the 633. I liked the lumpy idle, but it ran like crap until we cleaned the ICV and replaced the FPR.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 12-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
I'm too lazy to go back and read through....did you change the FPR? That really sounds like too much fuel pressure at idle. Or the idle control valve is faulty.

Funny, I'm just went through the same symptoms with the M30 in the 633. I liked the lumpy idle, but it ran like crap until we cleaned the ICV and replaced the FPR.
Sorry Ken didn't see this.

Yes, FPR is new. I keep forgetting to get my buddies timing light and check that. I'd like to do that, and do a smoke test if I can. I swapped in my old AFM to see if the fuel economy goes up. Another member told me to unplug the one coolant sensor that controls the cold start injector to make sure that isn't ruining my fuel economy either.

I really want/need to borrrow an IAC to see if that is my problem. I don't want to spend tons of money on one when it may not be the issue.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Needs Boost

Late Christmas present from the GF!

Also, bought an IAC, should be here tomorrow, hopefully that takes care of the idle issue.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Needs Boost

New IAC, idle is definitely better, some cases it's perfect, then other times it still bounces up and down. Does the computer have to adjust?

When I first fired it up it sounded no different. Then after probably 2 minutes the idle came down to 700 ish and sounded pretty good. Next time I fired it up it did the same thing. Then when I got home I let it idle and it didn't come down, stayed around 1000rpm and bounced slightly. Again later I fired it up and it came down to 700ish again and sounded good. Thoughts?

Also, my buddy said it smells pretty rich. Injectors are new as well as FPR, etc. Could it be the cold start injector sticking or would the IAC effect that?

Old 01-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Needs Boost

Alright, well I fiddled a little with the car today. While running, I unplugged the coolant temp gauge (almost brand new) and it idled way down, almost died but not quite. I would believe that that means I have no major vac leaks.

Plugged it back in and the idle went right back up. Then I unhooked the AFM and it all but died, then plugged it back in a the idle was good then.

Maybe I should unhook the battery and let everything reset

I had a VCG laying around so I decided to powder my valve cover, came out pretty nice I think.

Wrinkle red was the color choice. First wrinkle I've done. You can see the oil cap came out differently than the valve cover. Different metals?

Old 01-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
I think it would look SICK if your scuffed the PC off the lines and BMW logo so it was silver and red.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Needs Boost

I think I may have figured at least one issue out. I was fiddling with the car, check the TPS (PITA, couldn't really tell if it was ok or not) and checking for vac leaks. I hear a slight hissing noise near the firewall all the time but I can't seem to pin point it. Anyway I was moving wires around, and the fuel return line when the idle started changing. So I moved the return line and sure enough, changed the idle, if I move it a certain way, it will die. If I move it another way, it will idle right at 700 rpm. Part of the line is almost rock solid.

So tomorrow I'll replace that whole line and see what happens.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:20 PM
D'oh, You kids!

By moving (pinching) the return line you are defeating the FPR, running the pressure full-up and undoubtedly flooding the engine. It must have free flow back to the tank. I think you're on to something!

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 01-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Needs Boost

Replaced that fuel return hose, turns out that wasn't the issue, although the old hose was hard and cracked.

When I was wiggling that it was moving a ground wire that wasn't attached! Fixed that and all is well (so far) it idles perfect and doesn't hesitate or anything.

And, bumper tuck:

Rear was cake, front was a PITA due to limited space to get the bumper nuts back on once it was moved closer to the body.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:15 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
glad to hear you figured out the idle issue. (you didn't happen to take a pic of the location, didja??)

you could drop into teh e30 forum and be like teh wizzard of oz with that kind of info....

df
Old 01-10-2013, 07:46 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post

And, bumper tuck:

Rear was cake, front was a PITA due to limited space to get the bumper nuts back on once it was moved closer to the body.
Wait, what? What did you unbolt? You didn't drill the bumper shocks and collapse them?

BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 01-11-2013, 05:08 AM
Needs Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
glad to hear you figured out the idle issue. (you didn't happen to take a pic of the location, didja??)

you could drop into teh e30 forum and be like teh wizzard of oz with that kind of info....

df
Thanks! I think all is well now. I have to see how my mpgs are now. I'll get a picture of the ground wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Wait, what? What did you unbolt? You didn't drill the bumper shocks and collapse them?
I did drill. The rear I didn't have to take them off but the front I did because the main part of the shock that needs drilled isn't accessible.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

Old 06-05-2014, 04:46 PM
The Sincere.

Mein Auto: turPo m3
WOuld have pm'd back,
but your PM's is to the brim.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:54 PM
Needs Boost

Holy thread bump. Haha. Inbox cleared.

Wonder if the old girl is still running? Sold it last summer.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:09 PM
The Sincere.

Mein Auto: turPo m3
Sad.

E30's are like a hot middle-aged girlfriends....they take much maintenance and special handling.
They require rare expensive necklaces and beads and presents and such
and still rust/corrode in your face.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:25 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Ah, but they're so much fun to....uh...drive.

BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?