Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: Infiniti M35, 2001 3.0 Z3
Help with Subwoofer Cover

New guy here. I'm trying to get the lid off to take a look at the subwoofer. The front of the lid popped right up. I'm having trouble getting the back off. By the way it "swings," it seems like it's hinged or barely attached to the back panel. I'm afraid to get tough with it and break it. How is this thing attached, and more importantly, how do I get it off without breaking it? Are there screws, mechanical fasteners, magic elves, what? Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
Pull the back straight up with as little tilt as possible to the lid. There are little plastic push-in tabs back there that slip into plastic slots. They are not nearly as robust as the front bullet-shaped tabs.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3
I have a 97 that had the same problem. The shop that was supposed to do several things to the car...but didn't....said that the lid is on hinges and they were very rusty. It actually cracked the lid. It's a very small crack, but a crack non the less. They didn't mention anything to me about tabs??? They sprayed allot of wd40 to loosen them. They said that since it was a convertible, it had been exposed to moisture and that's why the hinges had rusted. Also, the top has warped and only one side is attached to the hinge. Can't seem to find a replacement for that. There are two 5 1/4", 2 ohm ported subs, one is a transverse mount. They are no longer available and I am now considering placing an Infinity powered sub in the trunk. Not sure this will help you, but it was my experience.

Good luck.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialD View Post
I have a 97 that had the same problem. The shop that was supposed to do several things to the car...but didn't....said that the lid is on hinges and they were very rusty. It actually cracked the lid. It's a very small crack, but a crack non the less. They didn't mention anything to me about tabs??? They sprayed allot of wd40 to loosen them. They said that since it was a convertible, it had been exposed to moisture and that's why the hinges had rusted. Also, the top has warped and only one side is attached to the hinge. Can't seem to find a replacement for that. There are two 5 1/4", 2 ohm ported subs, one is a transverse mount. They are no longer available and I am now considering placing an Infinity powered sub in the trunk. Not sure this will help you, but it was my experience.

Good luck.
The pre-facelift cars have hinges on the storage compartment lid. The others are held in by plastic clips in the rear and bullet connectors in the front.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:22 AM

Please tell me what pre-facelift means. I've never heard that mentioned before now. What ever it is, mine is pre...
Thanks
Old 08-07-2012, 08:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialD View Post
Please tell me what pre-facelift means. I've never heard that mentioned before now. What ever it is, mine is pre...
Thanks
It's officially called LCI (Life Cycle Impulse). It's a refresh half way through a car's production. On the Z3 it's mainly focussed on the interior and the rear of the car.

pre LCI (pre-facelift)

LCI (facelift)

Old 08-07-2012, 08:27 AM

Thanks. Mine is pre no doubt.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: Infiniti M35, 2001 3.0 Z3
Got It.

Thanks BlackLane. Pulled straight up like you said and it came right off.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328Ci
SpecialD,
If you're interested, I have an Infinity BassLink with the remote level control for sale.
It's new in the box, never installed. I'm asking $200 obo. machambers at charter dot net
Old 08-07-2012, 10:23 AM

Thanks, but Crutchfeild will sell to me with the speaker level connectors and instructions for $199, free shipping. Why didn't you use it?