Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 323IS
Replacing my Cat, Looking for Advice

I'm looking for advice and experience from those of you who have replaced Catalytic converters on your E36.

Well my 98 323is keeps throwing an E9 code- catalyst low efficiency (cyl 1-3). The first time I took it for inspection it had this code and evap leak (small) and CEL. I replaced the CEL light and reset the codes. two months and hundreds of miles later, that darned E9 code pops up again. Only that one. I bought the car in Feb from a guy who had replaced the O2 sensors. The car has 86,000 miles.

I've been looking at replacement cats and the prices are all over the place. Since the dealer wants $3,000. I figured I should make this a DIY. I haven't done this kind of work in years, but I love my lil coupe.

- There are some original fit cats out there for $400- $600. Any recs? Any stay away froms?

- Besides gaskets, should I buy other items, like hangers, etc - whatever you can list here will be helpful.

- What to watch out for? - I've seen warnings about the bolts to the manifold, what else could give me grief?

- Should I just buy the parts and turn them over to my regular (non BMW) mechanic?

I know a number of you have done this and I appreciate you sharing the benefits of your experience.
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
$3k ??

Wayyyyy too much.. go to an exhaust shop.

buy used exhaust.. swap.. sell yours.

Or if you are in a emissions loose state.. time for full exhaust, and high flow cat.
and still sell your old one..

headers and exhaust is easy.. just time consuming.. BBQ time.

Bmw-Mania, Ladies and Gentlemen.

Last edited by bmw-mania; 08-06-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 323IS
Got it done

So I dragged my feet on this, kinda hoping the codes would go away. they didn't. I ordered a DEC exact fit cat online, plus NTK O2 sensors and my mechanic did the job. Parts = about $600, labor = $240.

plusssss the BMW cat is a remanufactured one with a trade cost of $2,000. or about half the value of the car.

So it is possible to keep yer bimmer on a budget, but it takes lots of research.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:01 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
a reman cat??

df
Old 02-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: E36 323i w/ M52B28
For the 323 your best bet is to find a used 328 or M3 exhaust midsection at a wrecker and just swap that in. It's a bolt off, bolt on kinda job so will cost you zero $ to DIY.

General consensus is this was one of the areas where the 323's were restricted