Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-06-2012, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: x3
power tailgate failsafe?

Hi taking delivery of my x3 this weekend, quick question trying to prepare myself for the power tailgate. I tried doing a search, and I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but does the power tailgate have any sort of sensor to prevent it from either hitting something behind/above my car when it opens or potentially below it when closing.
I mainly ask about the opening as I park in a manhattan garage and I could easily imagine the attendant accidentally hitting the open button(either in car or on key). I read something based on an 09? x5 that seemed to indicate the door stops once it hits resistance, but if that resistance is a concrete pillar most of the damage would have already been done.
As a follow-up question, I know I can change how far the tailgate opens, if I do this to limit any potential contact is it possible to manually open the tailgate beyond the idrive setting?
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
You can manually stop the tailgate from opening and hitting something so the same would be true if it hits an immovable object... But the immovable object will likely damage the paint.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:01 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330d xDrive Touring
Can confirm tailgate stops when it detects resistance (same as a window) but it has to touch object or person first so a concrete wall would damage paintwork
Old 08-07-2012, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: Boxster S; '13 X3 AW/CHT
yes, you can adjust on the I-Drive settings screen how far the rear tailgate opens. also, as noted, the tailgate will stop automatically if it detects contact with anything. our SA demostrated this by placing his hand under the closing tailgate (to replicate a child's head, for example) and the tailgate stopped and reversed it's track.

2010 Porsche Boxster S (Mine)
Old 08-07-2012, 02:02 PM

but if I adjust the idrive setting so that the trunk only opens a small amount, can I then manually lift the trunk open further?
Old 08-07-2012, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: E92 M3 using ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by w* View Post
but if I adjust the idrive setting so that the trunk only opens a small amount, can I then manually lift the trunk open further?
Yup. That is how I set up mine just to be sure not to hit any objects behind the open tailgate.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:47 AM

It's not easy to open the tailgate by accident. You have to hold down the button for a few seconds on the key. Or you have to push open the button inside the car which is really low by your feet. I set mine so it opens just at the height of the car. That stops it from hitting our garage doors when overhead.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:02 PM

I thought my FOB didn't initially work, tried holding the button down for at least 2+ seconds before it opened. It's more difficult to open then you realize, so there should not be a concern of accidentally open.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
A few weeks ago while in a garage as I left the car and pressed the button to close and lock the hatch, it came down but then the car beeped at me four times and opened the gate again. A cloth bag was still in the opening to prevent full closure. Nice to know it alerts you that it did not close all the way and minor things will prevent it from closing.

Also, after the motor has stopped, you can easily move the hatch up or down.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 525 & 325
Yes and yes

I have set my hatch to open maybe halfway and then I either duck my head to load or unload, or just push it up some with my hand.

My garage door-opener door is not much higher than the car so I was afraid I would open it in the garage and hit the door above. It is a little bit of trouble to have to push it open higher if I want to but that is better than getting the paint scraped.