Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 08-07-2012, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 525i
2004 525i - heavy steering after new tires

Hello

I just got the tires replaced on my 2004 525i.
After doing that, the steering feels a lot heavier than it used to. It was a bit heavy already, but not such that it required much effort. Now I constantly feel that I need to put effort to just change lanes.

I am also in need of an alignment I think (car pulls to right - tires replaced just last week). But the steering issue became noticeable after the tire change.

I have been reading lots of threads and here is what I gather:

1. Do the alignment.
2. Top off Power Steering Fluid - which I understand is actually ATF - is this the correct thing to use: http://www.amazon.com/Pentosin-Suspe...qid=1344358224

Amazon tells me it is not... but as per other forums Pentosin CHF 11S is the right thing

What else can I check to ensure its not something else?
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag11 View Post
Hello

I just got the tires replaced on my 2004 525i.
After doing that, the steering feels a lot heavier than it used to. It was a bit heavy already, but not such that it required much effort. Now I constantly feel that I need to put effort to just change lanes.

I am also in need of an alignment I think (car pulls to right - tires replaced just last week). But the steering issue became noticeable after the tire change.

I have been reading lots of threads and here is what I gather:

1. Do the alignment.
2. Top off Power Steering Fluid - which I understand is actually ATF - is this the correct thing to use: http://www.amazon.com/Pentosin-Suspe...qid=1344358224

Amazon tells me it is not... but as per other forums Pentosin CHF 11S is the right thing

What else can I check to ensure its not something else?
If the old tires were significantly worn then they may have offered less resistance to the car's mis-alignment. You probably worn the tires severely on the inside edge. I think what you are feeling with the new tires is the newly flat treads offering resistance to being "rolled over" or tipped to match the mis-alignment angle.
Get the alignment immediately.

RE: Power Steering Fluid
The correct power steering fluid (which depending upon if you have the sport suspension is shared with the active roll stabilization) is shown on the filler cap of the power steering reservoir. Use only what is noted on the cap.

For a 2004 525i, unless you know the PSF system has received preventive maintenance before, you should consider flushing the system and installing a new power steering fluid reservoir (which has a filter integrated into the reservoir). If you are a DIY, or if you are having an Indie who may not be familiar with the procedure do the work, I have attached the manufacturer of the power steering rack's flush procedure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ZF Procedure Flushing Power Steering System.pdf (10.6 KB, 76 views)
Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 525i
Bimmerfan52:

Thanks a lot for your input. I will get the alignment done this week...

I did have the power steering flush done about 2 years ago. If its not expensive, I would have it done as well. I will be going to an indy shop. Dealer rips off way too much.

Thanks again!
Old 10-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006-530xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag11 View Post
Bimmerfan52:

Thanks a lot for your input. I will get the alignment done this week...

I did have the power steering flush done about 2 years ago. If its not expensive, I would have it done as well. I will be going to an indy shop. Dealer rips off way too much.

Thanks again!
I am curious...how much did the dealer charge to do your power steering flush 2 years back?

Thanks,