Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix Msport
Siri and iDrive

Got my iPhone 4s the other day. The Siri feature is pretty promising: hands free control of your iPhone for dialing, song selection, weather, dictating texts and emails, reading them back, and a host of other things.

I tried it in my car today. I use Bluetooth for the phone and USB for music connectivity (haven't bought the 6NR cradle yet).

I heard Siri over the stereo, but it couldnt hear me via he cars microphone.

Bummer.

Seems it needs microphone support, and a way to invoke Siri without reaching for the iPhone.

A lot of potential here. I do hope BMW works in support for it. They do seem to be pretty committed to iPhone integration.

Last edited by JoeRoadster; 10-18-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-19-2011, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550
Gotta love siri!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:34 PM

Siri is definitely cool, and will become amazing as it evolves.
When they integrate it with my bimmer, we'll have a powerful hands free communication device for the ride.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRoadster View Post
Got my iPhone 4s the other day. The Siri feature is pretty promising: hands free control of your iPhone for dialing, song selection, weather, dictating texts and emails, reading them back, and a host of other things.

I tried it in my car today. I use Bluetooth for the phone and USB for music connectivity (haven't bought the 6NR cradle yet).

I heard Siri over the stereo, but it couldnt hear me via he cars microphone.

Bummer.

Seems it needs microphone support, and a way to invoke Siri without reaching for the iPhone.

A lot of potential here. I do hope BMW works in support for it. They do seem to be pretty committed to iPhone integration.
That's odd. I have a older BMW (2009 x5) with Bluetooth and iPod/USB interface. I can hear Siri through the car system and it appears to hear my voice through the car microphone. In fact when you push the Siri button the idrive screen shows a active call in place ...
Old 10-20-2011, 05:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
That's odd. I have a older BMW (2009 x5) with Bluetooth and iPod/USB interface. I can hear Siri through the car system and it appears to hear my voice through the car microphone. In fact when you push the Siri button the idrive screen shows a active call in place ...
Yes, my F10 does the same thing.

535i - DGII, Black Dakota, Multi-Contour Seats, Fold Down Seats, Ski Bag, PP1, PDC, Rear-View Camera, Nav, BMW apps.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 08 535i Platinum
Yup id defintely be intersted in learning of any update to SIRI and BMW.

I havent really tested thoroughly what SIRI can/cannot .. will come back and update.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Yes, my F10 does the same thing.
Are you using a smartphone integration cradle, or no?
Old 10-22-2011, 06:19 AM
535i M-Sport ED May 2011

Mein Auto: '11 M-Spt 535i & '04 SLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Cover the iPhone microphone a see if Siri still hears you.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRoadster View Post
Are you using a smartphone integration cradle, or no?
No cradle. I tried it while plugged in to the iPod/USB adapter as well as not plugged in to anything. It seems to work the same either way.
I also gave voice commands while the phone was in the center console with the console closed and it worked fine. So it appears to me that the voice commands are going through the car's microphone as well.
Now all we need is a way to activate Siri without having to push the button on the phone, such as from the iDrive controller or one of the buttons on the steering wheel.

535i - DGII, Black Dakota, Multi-Contour Seats, Fold Down Seats, Ski Bag, PP1, PDC, Rear-View Camera, Nav, BMW apps.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erregend View Post
Cover the iPhone microphone a see if Siri still hears you.
Yes .. Definitely using the cars microphone.

It wont make any difference if you use the cradle, the iPod cable or not connected at all. The iPhone is just treating the BMW system as a handsfree device using a Bluetooth connection.

Siri supports handsfree devices over Bluetooth.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:33 AM

Mein Auto: 1 Series
Hi folks, sorry if I am dragging up an old thread.

I just wanted to check if any of you are finding that Siri no longer works in your car after the iOS6 update.

My E87 120d Sport options list shows:

609 Professional Navigation
644 Bluetooth Telephone Preparation

I used to get Siri working through the hands-free by pressing the button on the phone, which showed up on the Nav screen as an active call. This is the behavior experienced by some of you above.

Since upgrading to iOS6 this no longer is the case. Siri is now silent and there is no active call shown on the display.

Is this what everybody is experiencing?

I used to use Siri like this a lot for reading out and replying to text messages, now I cant use it at all and it is very annoying!

Thanks for your help.